Reservation for Check-in/Online check-in problems

jul1221

Hi All,

This is my first cruise with Royal Caribbean. We haven't even left yet and I'm already disappointed. I was given a RC gift certificate for my birthday that I can't use because they need 2 weeks to redeem it and we sail on Monday. Needless to say I requested a refund to my friends card for the amount of the g.c. Then my husband and I have been trying for 2 days to do the online check-in, but we can't because the website requires us to to make a reservation for check-in and that portion of the website is down. When we called customer service they said they are aware of the problem and they don't know when it will be back up.

I guess my question is, why do I need to make a reservation to check-in and why do they need 2 weeks to process and apply a gift certificate (which is now unusable)?

I'm not aware of any kind of reservation needed for check-in. All you need is a booked cruise within 90 days of departure. I'm guessing there was some sort of miscommunication/misunderstanding with the CSR.

Try using this link to check-in:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/boardingDocuments.do

In the the "guest information" tab, part 4 of 4 is a section called "Travel Plans" this is where it's getting frozen and not allowing us to go any further with setting up our onboard expense account, set sail pass or contract information. Here's what it says:

"Warning Symbol" Choose a Smart Check-In time that works best for you. Consider any extra time you will need to accommodate travel arrangements made on the day of the sailing, including transit in taxis, airport shuttles, etc.

We apologize; the scheduling system is currently unavailable

In the the "guest information" tab, part 4 of 4 is a section called "Travel Plans" this is where it's getting frozen and not allowing us to go any further with setting up our onboard expense account, set sail pass or contract information. Here's what it says:

"Warning Symbol" Choose a Smart Check-In time that works best for you. Consider any extra time you will need to accommodate travel arrangements made on the day of the sailing, including transit in taxis, airport shuttles, etc.

We apologize; the scheduling system is currently unavailable

Try putting in in the Arrival section Private Vehicle, 1pm, and in the Departure section Private Vehicle, 9am.

I never fill out the travel plans at all. Can't you just skip it and go to the next page?

This is true. You DO NOT have to fill out the travel plans. Any gift certificate has to be redeemed 10 days prior to the sailing date. The gift certificate will not expire, you can use it on a future cruise. What you have to fill out on line is for your SETSAIL PASS -- You need this at the terminal. Do you have a travel agent or did you book your cruise through Royal Caribbean? They should be able to help.

I never fill out the travel plans at all. Can't you just skip it and go to the next page?

Unfortunately no, you can't skip it. I finally got in touch with a person at RC who offered to enter that portion of the checkin for me so that now I'm able to print my docs. She did confirm that they have been experiencing technical problems with the website. What a headache that was. Hopefully there won't be anymore bumps in the road.

Personally, I think it's stupid that you need to redeem a gc 10 business days prior to sailing.

Thanks for your help and support.

Edited by jul1221

I was given a RC gift certificate for my birthday that I can't use because they need 2 weeks to redeem it and we sail on Monday. Needless to say I requested a refund to my friends card for the amount of the g.c.

I am curios if they have agreed to refund the gift certificate. My guess is they will not. But, you could always use it on your next cruise, assuming you want to do another RCCL cruise.

If not, I think I would find somebody who is doing one, have that certificate applied to their reservation and then just ask them to give you the cash. If it is somebody you know, I am sure they will be happy to do that for you.

Worst case is you can use it to have flowers, champagne and a cheese plate sent to mine and my wife's cabin for our upcoming cruise- still plenty of time left to apply it for that one :D

Enjoy you trip. Hopefully the worst is over now.

I beg to differ with the person that said you have to fill out the travel portion on signing in. I haven't fill it out for my last 6 cruises. I hated that part of signing in until some one from Royal told me it wasn't necessary. Made my life a little simpler.

I am curios if they have agreed to refund the gift certificate. My guess is they will not. But' date=' you could always use it on your next cruise, assuming you want to do another RCCL cruise.

If not, I think I would find somebody who is doing one, have that certificate applied to their reservation and then just ask them to give you the cash. If it is somebody you know, I am sure they will be happy to do that for you.

Worst case is you can use it to have flowers, champagne and a cheese plate sent to mine and my wife's cabin for our upcoming cruise- still plenty of time left to apply it for that one :D

Enjoy you trip. Hopefully the worst is over now.[/quote']

When I tried to apply the gc a warning came up and said that it needs to be applied 10 business days prior to sailing. I immediately called the number on the gc and spoke to a very nice guy who told me that if I wasn't able to use it then I can request a refund be issued to the original card. The problem with holding onto it is that none of my friends are cruisers and I don't know that I'll be back on a RC trip. We usually stick with NCL and Carnival.

I beg to differ with the person that said you have to fill out the travel portion on signing in. I haven't fill it out for my last 6 cruises. I hated that part of signing in until some one from Royal told me it wasn't necessary. Made my life a little simpler.

I tried skipping that portion but it kept giving me a warning and not allowing me to go further then part 4. I also tried filling in the required information and it was the same result. It wouldn't save.

Now all we have to worry about is the impending snow storm. Trying to figure out if we should leave on Friday or Sunday or just stick with our original plan of driving on Monday morning. It's only about an hour drive but I don't want to miss the boat.

Edited by jul1221