Celebrity Food Items: Good and Bad

SerraG

In anticipation of my upcoming Celebrity cruise, I made a spreadsheet with all of the recommendations (and some anti-recommendation) from a the very informative "Favorite Food on Celebrity" thread. I tallied how many people recommended various dishes and listed that ranking next to the item.

I did my best to put each item under its correct dining location, but I haven't been on Celebrity before so I may have made some mistakes.

I would be grateful for any corrections and especially any additional picks and pans.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wHV17Gbyz7MLXFEEzNwqWnkAeh3gVJtaKQsb7Fj8SLM/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks!

Your mission is to eat one of everything! Have fun!

I loved the cream filled doughnuts at the coffee bar.

In the dining room I enjoyed the turkey dinner, French onion soup, all the beef dishes.

At the grill the hamburgers were surprisingly delicious.

The afternoon teas we enjoyed the scones, jam and cream. Very decadent.

The ice cream in the cafe was always good, I found most of the desserts, to look good but most were very tasteless.

The breads were excellent.

Than you for putting this together. I'm looking forward to all the lamb dishes! I'm still trying to figure out if I'll do any of the specialty dining. Are you?

You're welcome. I know that everyone has different tastes, but if 80% of people like something, then I want to try it! :) We are going to do Qsine for sure because our 8 year-old daughter will be with us and I know that she will love something fun like that. I'm not sure about any of the other specialty restaurants though.

Seems a wasted effort to me....Food varies ship to ship...even between sailings....not to mention that the tastes of the passengers vary...what one loves another will hate....

I think you are wasting your time. if you order something and it does not please you...send it back and order something else. You might miss out on something wonderful to YOU based on anothers opinion.

In anticipation of my upcoming Celebrity cruise, I made a spreadsheet with all of the recommendations (and some anti-recommendation) from a the very informative "Favorite Food on Celebrity" thread. I tallied how many people recommended various dishes and listed that ranking next to the item.

I did my best to put each item under its correct dining location, but I haven't been on Celebrity before so I may have made some mistakes.

I would be grateful for any corrections and especially any additional picks and pans.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wHV17Gbyz7MLXFEEzNwqWnkAeh3gVJtaKQsb7Fj8SLM/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks!

You must have a lot more time on your hands than me. :)

That said, my favorite surprise, because they were awesome, on Celebrity was the braised short ribs, which I never would have tried had I not read about them multiple times on different threads. You don't even have them on your list :rolleyes:.

I can't even plan specialty restos till I get on board and see which night will have the short ribs. They did have them for lunch in the Bistro too but I gather by the time I get on the Reflection it'll have turned into a noodle/sushi shop.

Wow. I thought I was a bit OCD about cruise planning.

I take anyone else's opinion of food with a huge grain of salt. I look at the menu, or at the food in the buffet and pick what appeals to me. If a large number of people don't share my tastes a particular dish may be tallied to be "avoid at all costs" by your accounting, but top notch by mine.

I hope you have a great cruise and enjoy the food.

Why not just trust your judgement and if you take a bite of something and don't like it then throw it away and get something else.... it's not like it is costing you any money to do that.

Bingo! We have a winner!

I would never scoff at a spreadsheet. Go you!

You may want to note that the chocolate lava cake is tiny. Two bites. Our server insisted on bringing 2-3 per person. Or, at least that was the case on our Summit cruise last May. But it was the clear winner on the MDR dessert menu. We weren't mad about the MDR desserts, other than the ice cream.

I would add the mushroom risotto if it's not on your list already, but we had variability on that dish. Some plates perfect, some underdone.

Edited by schlimazel_traveler

I would never scoff at a spreadsheet. Go you!

You may want to note that the chocolate lava cake is tiny. Two bites. Our server insisted on bringing 2-3 per person. Or, at least that was the case on our Summit cruise last May. But it was the clear winner on the MDR dessert menu. We weren't mad about the MDR desserts, other than the ice cream.

I would add the mushroom risotto if it's not on your list already, but we had variability on that dish. Some plates perfect, some underdone.

its the powerful punch of chocolate.

well I'll admit I giggled a little, but hey, why not?

If scallops appear as appetizer, just start off ordering 2 - they are excellent.

I think pasta / risotto is VERY variable - sometimes it is good (esp. in Tuscan Grill) and sometimes it is horrid.

Enjoy your cruise and bon appetite!

The afternoon teas we enjoyed the scones, jam and cream. Very decadent.

Ooh, I hadn't heard about afternoon tea! Where and when (every day? sea days? once per cruise?) does this take place? Thanks!

OP, ignore the naysayers. I'm with you...if lots of people have recommended a dish, it might be worth a try! :)

Ooh, I hadn't heard about afternoon tea! Where and when (every day? sea days? once per cruise?) does this take place? Thanks!

OP, ignore the naysayers. I'm with you...if lots of people have recommended a dish, it might be worth a try! :)

Someone else said that they have scones and tea available at the Oceanview Cafe buffet around 4pm every day. I also read that there is a Champagne High Tea (for an additional charge) once or twice in one of the specialty restaurants.

@Rob the Cruiser: Right. Or stuff it into an empty bottle and throw it into the ocean. Maybe it will swim to someone who’s really hungry.

@SAC69: As far as I’m concerned, someone who throws or suggests to throw food into the bin for such a primitive reason, cannot be a winner.

@Karynanne: Yes, it’s strange, in another (a family-related) thread, I read that parents take the opportunity on the cruise to try to convince their children to eat something they’ve never tried before, and here the grown-ups do kind of the opposite by restricting their choice to meals that others (strangers!) have approved.

We just got off the Anthem Of The Seas and the list only reminded us of the better and more choices on Celebrity. The food was not bad on the Anthem but the choices were limited. Glad our next cruise May 8 will be on Summit

I could not open your spreadsheet, but here are my favourites.

Dining Room- braised short ribs, beet citrus salad, salmon tartare, lamb chops, prime rib roast beef

Cafe al Bacio- German chocolate cake, carrot cake

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the spreadsheet! Two things I didn't see on there that I am looking forward to having in a few weeks:

1) Ravioli ai Funghi Selvatici (Wild mushroom ravioli with parmesan cream sauce and white truffle oil) in Tuscan Grille - very rich, but one of the best things I've ever had on a ship.

2) The cheese cart in Murano (Ocean Liners, in my case) - better than dessert!

Looking forward to finding some new favorites in Luminae.

@Higgy64,

This is exactly the throwaway mentality that makes my heart bleed.

It's not costing you extra money, but it's costing a lot of other things...

People have worked hard to grow and harvest the raw material, make the ingredients and cook the meal; it has cost a lot of energy to make it and to transport it the place where it is supposed to be eaten; and creates a lot of waste (not only the food that goes to the bin, but also the plastic wrap etc. )

Animals have worked/died for it... and then it all goes to the bin.

Even my 3-year old daughter knows that it would be disrespectful to treat food, people, animals and environment like that.

:( :( :(

I personally am one of the grateful ones that the OP compiled this list, I would LOVE to have a suggestion of what to try. Saves a lot of wasteful trying of items when many people have said "no way." Live and let live, how about that? ;)

I appreciate all of the food recommendations and items to avoid that people have listed so far. Thank you! I have updated the spreadsheet to reflect your suggestions. I hope I haven't missed anything.

It’s probably not worth it, but after all the criticism, I feel compelled to bolster my reasoning for creating the spreadsheet. On our last Disney cruise, my entire party found many of the dishes to be extremely hit or miss. Our waiter told us that he didn’t, “care very much about food” and that the only things he liked to eat were pasta and plain chicken. Of course, he was not good at making recommendations and our entire party was tired of sending uneaten food back to the kitchen. At our next port, I searched the web and found several great suggestions for the best things to eat on a Disney cruise. These suggestions completely changed our dining experience for the better. I wanted to make up something similar for Celebrity before I left home.

I was really (foolishly, I suppose) surprised that so many people took the time to post negative responses to my spreadsheet. I could have just written down the suggestions on a notecard to bring with me, but since I suspected other people might want the same information, I tried to tidy it up and post it in a way that would allow them to use it, too.

I love the information, photos, reviews and answers that I have found on the Cruise Critic forums. I would hate for anyone to be discouraged from posting to this Celebrity board because of the negativity.

Be kind. Wouldn’t you rather live in a world where people go out of their way to help each other?

Edited by SerraG

I appreciate all of the food recommendations and items to avoid that people have listed so far. Thank you! I have updated the spreadsheet to reflect your suggestions. I hope I haven't missed anything.

It’s probably not worth it, but after all the criticism, I feel compelled to bolster my reasoning for creating the spreadsheet. On our last Disney cruise, my entire party found many of the dishes to be extremely hit or miss. Our waiter told us that he didn’t, “care very much about food” and that the only things he liked to eat were pasta and plain chicken. Of course, he was not good at making recommendations and our entire party was tired of sending uneaten food back to the kitchen. At our next port, I searched the web and found several great suggestions for the best things to eat on a Disney cruise. These suggestions completely changed our dining experience for the better. I wanted to make up something similar for Celebrity before I left home.

I was really (foolishly, I suppose) surprised that so many people took the time to post negative responses to my spreadsheet. I could have just written down the suggestions on a notecard to bring with me, but since I suspected other people might want the same information, I tried to tidy it up and post it in a way that would allow them to use it, too.

I love the information, photos, reviews and answers that I have found on the Cruise Critic forums. I would hate for anyone to be discouraged from posting to this Celebrity board because of the rampant negativity.

Be kind. Wouldn’t you rather live in a world where people go out of their way to help each other?

Hi OP,

You are doing a great service to a lot people more than you know. Don't dwell on cynical and negative comments from other people who are on their "high horses". I don't understand why some individuals simply won't glance at the thread, tell themselves that it is not for them and move on, but instead take the time to write disparaging remarks.

OP the spreadsheet is a positive contribution to the forums and I appreciate the effort. :)

Edited by JobbesL

Only once in my life did I get a dish that was totally inedible. It was on Infinity. A pasta dish with some sort of meat bits (pork?). Sorry I can't remember the name. The only time I returned a dish. It was on prime rib night so I ordered that instead. Delicious. What was I thinking???

Awesome! Just flippin' awesome! Thank you. :D

I enjoyed it very much. It was great to see what is available. You made me remember that the best lamb I ever had was on the Solstice.

I'm a planner/organizer too. We are the ones who the others with 'no time' come to! Remember the saying? If you want something done quickly and correctly - ask a busy woman to do it!

I'll be checking back with glee as you update it. :) (that was a subtle hint to keep it going, please)

Edited by sportsmum