Are all walls magnetic?

elliotterae

The walls are NOT magnetic. They are metal and magnets will stick to them but they are not themselves magnetic.

Since we're parsing the OP's English, here is the definition of "magnetic" by Merriam Webster:

Full Definition of magnetic

: possessing an extraordinary power or ability to attract <a magnetic personality>

a : of or relating to a magnet or to magnetism

b : of, relating to, or characterized by the earth's magnetism

c : magnetized or capable of being magnetized

d : actuated by magnetic attraction

Note definition 2b, bolded above. The walls are steel, and steel is a magnetic metal (capaple of being magnetized). :p

And to further parse things, the "walls" in your cabins should be called either:

"bulkhead": An upright wall within the hull of a ship. Particularly a watertight, load-bearing wall.

But since the cabin "walls" are not structural or load bearing:

"ceilings": The lining or inboard sheathing covering the frames of a wooden boat. Usually ceiling is light planking or slats covering the frames in cabin areas to provide insulation, deaden sound, reduce condensation and provide a more finished appearance. (Lubbers beware: the ceiling is located along the inboard sides of a ship, never overhead.)

Edited by chengkp75

Since we're parsing the OP's English, here is the definition of "magnetic" by Merriam Webster:

Full Definition of magnetic

: possessing an extraordinary power or ability to attract <a magnetic personality>

a : of or relating to a magnet or to magnetism

b : of, relating to, or characterized by the earth's magnetism

c : magnetized or capable of being magnetized

d : actuated by magnetic attraction

Note definition 2b, bolded above. The walls are steel, and steel is a magnetic metal (capaple of being magnetized). :p

And to further parse things, the "walls" in your cabins should be called either:

"bulkhead": An upright wall within the hull of a ship. Particularly a watertight, load-bearing wall.

But since the cabin "walls" are not structural or load bearing:

"ceilings": The lining or inboard sheathing covering the frames of a wooden boat. Usually ceiling is light planking or slats covering the frames in cabin areas to provide insulation, deaden sound, reduce condensation and provide a more finished appearance. (Lubbers beware: the ceiling is located along the inboard sides of a ship, never overhead.)

2b is not bold, 2c is.

I was considering taking some magnetic hooks. We have a family ocean view on Getaway.

Most are NOT magnetic. You will find some are, and you will find some spots in walls that hold a magnet because of the metal studs

The walls are NOT magnetic. They are metal and magnets will stick to them but they are not themselves magnetic.

Ok, I forgot how many people in the world enjoy arguing with complete strangers about utterly inconsequential details.

Maybe I should have asked : Do all cabins have metal walls?

Except, I am sure your response would have been something along the lines of "Not all metal attracts magnets" .

And you would have been right; stainless steel, copper, silver, many alloys and compounds, lead, and gold are all diamagnetic. (That means magnets wont stick just in case you were wondering.)

Other metals such as iron and nickel are ferromagnetic, which is term I should have used to avoid this craziness. Although, I suspected that many on these boards would not know the term and I would not get my answer.

I shortened it to magnetic, which IS scientifically accurate and received the help I wanted quickly.

Look it up if you would like. Oh, and I am thankful for my daily reminder that people just love to act like a donkey when they can hide behind their computer screen.

Edited by elliotterae

Ok, I forgot how many people in the world enjoy arguing with complete strangers about utterly inconsequential details.

Except, I am sure your response would have been something along the lines of "Not all metal attracts magnets" .

And you would have been right; stainless steel, copper, silver, many alloys and compounds, lead, and gold are all diamagnetic. (That means magnets wont stick just in case you were wondering.)

Other metals such as iron and nickel are ferromagnetic, which is term I should have used to avoid this craziness. Although, I suspected that many on these boards would not know the term and I would not get my answer.

I shortened it to magnetic, which IS scientifically accurate and received the help I wanted quickly.

Look it up if you would like. Oh, and I am thankful for my daily reminder that people just love to act like a donkey when they can hide behind their computer screen.

I believe the internet term for what just happened here is "pwned" :D

Edited by macandlucy

I hope you were not referring to me. I only answered the question you asked. Someone followed up with some asinine retort about a Webster's definition so maybe that is what you were referring to. Anyway I wanted to be sure you understood that the walls were not actually magnetic since that is what you asked.

I did not mean to imply anyone specifically, rather the whole discussion and line of jokes which began with the quoted comment.

But yes, if magnets will stick to the wall, then the walls are magnetic, which is what I was trying to explain. That is why they sell magnetic paint. It doesnt mean that it will make your wall a magnet but that it will attract and hold a magnet, which is what magnetic means.

My point was that rather than just answer the question, several people felt the need to correct my wording or be belittling. When in fact an iron wall would be magnetic. Not a magnet, not magnetized, but magnetic. If someone wants to correct me when I misspeak, be my guest. But at least be right.

Here is a magnetic wall board.

You'll notice it is called magnetic, similar to my reference to the walls. And you will see that it is not a giant magnet(one that would lock down someone with a metal plate in their head), but it is usable with magnets.

Thank you, for explaining your intent. Of course I knew the walls are not magnets, if that was your concern.:cool: