DH doesn't want to "dress up" for formal night

yankedog

First cruise, heading on Destiny with two other couples! DH is refusing to dress up... my question ... How "dressed down" can men go? Thanks.. Yes I am perfectly happy to dress up and go without him.. but, come on, he will miss the lobster!LOL! Thanks! Anyone else going on 10/16 Destiny?

Hello,

Well,,,this will spark a lot of replies and the ^&^&^& will be flying.....

But i personally have never worn a suit or tux into the dining room on formal night and i have gone in and ate. Never was i refused service. I also have worn nice shorts and a nice shirt to dinner the first and last night and have never had a problem either.

Then there is always the buffett or room service..............

Then there will be the comments about following rules.............

Then there will be comments about ettiquette and such.........

Just another long winded thread..........happy reading.

u will see it all on formal nite. young gals always bring the big prom dresses, anything u would wear to a wedding is comfortable too. my dh does not do the tux or suit. sport coat. but u see dockers with shirts, just regular dress. maybe carnival will do like some of the others soon, freestyle dining, no formal nite crap. i like to take lightweight anything so it doesnt take to much room, since i only wear it for several hours and back to my comfort zone. black is usually a good thing. he would probably feel comfortable in black slacks and a dress shirt. will be fine. if he can stand that much!

I say it is his vacation too, let him wear what he is comfortable in. I try to at least wear a jacket and pants to formal but I am not a big formal (well unfortunatly I am a huge person, but that is another story...LOL) dress up kind of guy.

My DH was the same way on our first cruise. I just reminded him of all the things I do for him, that we hardly ever go any where to dress up, so 1 or 2 nights would not hurt him and would make me VERY happy. I'm sure you've heard the expression "If mama ain't happy, nobody is happy"

First cruise, heading on Destiny with two other couples! DH is refusing to dress up... my question ... How "dressed down" can men go? Thanks.. Yes I am perfectly happy to dress up and go without him.. but, come on, he will miss the lobster!LOL! Thanks! Anyone else going on 10/16 Destiny?

Get him a KILT!!!

My DH was the same way on our first cruise. I just reminded him of all the things I do for him, that we hardly ever go any where to dress up, so 1 or 2 nights would not hurt him and would make me VERY happy. I'm sure you've heard the expression "If mama ain't happy, nobody is happy"
This is basiclly where I fell into, DW loves here photos... It has become much easer to just surcome to it and enjoy! I like it now and so does the DS...lol:rolleyes:

I like the Kilt Idea though...;)

A sports jacket and tie is the bare minimum to conform to the dress requirements.

Hello,

This is an opinion and not an answer and also incorrect as i have not done this on 10 previous cruises as stated above and still gotten served in the dining room on formal night.

No one from Carnival wil come on this forum and answer anything much less enforce a bare minimum on the ship.

So chucksta and everyone else, just state the facts.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Hello,

This is an opinion and not an answer and also incorrect as i have not done this on 10 previous cruises as stated above and still gotten served in the dining room on formal night.

No one from Carnival wil come on this forum and answer anything much less enforce a bare minimum on the ship.

Too much Testosterone!!! Maybe cause its early! "Just the facts Sir" Jack Webb Dragnet

Some conscientious Maitre d' from time to time WILL enforce the dress code...thank goodness. I have seen people being turned away for being dressed inappropriately - on formal nights as well as other nights. Just be aware that your DH may be having dinner in the Lido buffet area that night.

Is there a dress code for the dining room?spacer.gifDepending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dining_Room_Dress_Requirements.aspx

Straight from Carnival

Looks like MrPete and I were correct...hummmm

Hello,

How unfortunate that you post misinformation. My post is NOT an opinion.

At the same time, I will not contest what triggers a server to serve or not serve in the dining room, or a maitre d' to allow or turn away anyone based on dress. That is their job, not mine. I have seen people turned away. For those wanting to chance it, go for it.

Thank you Chuck for posting the facts for this gogetter.

My husband is not a "dress up" guy and I agree its his vacation also. Maybe not jeans, but dockers are o.k., but if he really can't do it they will not refuse him. There is no law that says you have to dress up. Remember the words are "recommended" but also remember the words should also be have fun and if his kind of fun includes jeans so be it as long as their neat, clean, not ripped and with a decent shirt. We've done 5 cruises and never been turned down in both dockers or neat jeans. On the other hand I have always worn something a little more dressy than dayware, so that will help those tuxedo people get over their shock. BEst of luck and just have fun.

Others have clearly stated the facts - for that, I thank them.

What follows is simply my opinion, for what that's worth:

Unfortunately, Carnival does not do a very good job of enforcing the dress code. Sadly, that contributes to the impression that Carnival is lower class than other lines.

The dress code exists. If you don't like it, you should dine on the Lido Deck (or stay home). Disregarding the dress code also shows disregard for your fellow shipmates.

"This is an opinion and not an answer and also incorrect as i have not done this on 10 previous cruises as stated above and still gotten served in the dining room on formal night."

Hmmmm, this is a little like saying, "Well I robbed two banks and nobody has arrested me so it MUST be legal!!!" LOL!!

The minimum I'd feel comfortable in is a shirt and tie with slacks on formal night (though I have worn a suit since I was 15). I have seen people being turned away on my last two cruises for trying to wear jeans or shorts to formal night, but that is a spotty occurance. Let's face it ... if YOU are comfortable being underdressed, no one will probably say anything. However, this is like the prom or going to a fancy restaraunt ... on special occasions, some people LIKE getting really dressed up and being around people who are doing the same. Yes, it is your vacation, but as some people forget, it is also other people's vacation as well.

Enforced or not, there is a dress code. It is part of the cruise contract that we agree to when purchasing our ticket. So forget the, "Its your vacation, wear what you want" baloney. You agreed to a contract, you know what your word is worth to you.

For the "large person" that can't find clothes. I have worn tuxes for years, starting when my chest was 54" and waist was 34" Now the chest is 56" and the waist has narrowed the gap a lot. [nuff bout that] Neck size 22" sleeves 37" [yes I eat a lot of bananas and swing on vines] but still find all styles of clothes, including tuxi.

To me the dress up is part of the fun [the fun includes the wife being VERY pleased about how I look in my tux.] ;) :)

But he can wear what he wants as far as I'm concerned, I'm tired of arguing with social dufi.

Dan

Wow....some things never change! Same old arguement. But Dan is correct....when buying your ticket you signed on to some agreements. But....maybe you can find a tux made out of jean material! Then everyone is happy!...

Do they still have the lovely butter in the dining room?

yankedog you might try showing him the dress your going to wear.Then it mght convince your DH to dress up.:)

My husband was the same way but once he saw the dress that i bought it compelled him to do some shopping.:D

My DH doesn't want to dress up either, but he will. It's only a couple hours, then he can change into his shorts or whatever. Wearing at least a button down shirt and a tie won't kill him.

What does your DH wear when he has to go to a wedding or a funeral?

Hello,

I can tell you, for a fact, that I saw at least 6 people turned away from the dining room, on the first formal night on the 9/25 sailing of the Miracle.

One tried to come in, wearing jeans.... one was in shorts, one was in dockers and a tee shirt (we have 2 little ones, and I was in and out the door running them to the potty a few times during dinner, watching what was happening).

Archived