Annoying Beach "Vendors" on Orient Beach

I had never been to Orient Beach, but went there on my last cruise. I don't think I'll be going back.

I just wanted to relax on the beach, but was bugged non-stop by beach "vendors".

Every two minutes "Would you like me to massage your feet?", "Would you like to buy a hat?", "Would you like to buy a t-shirt?"

I got no relaxation at all.

At one point there were 4 of them with 20 feet of me.

They really need to do something about this.

It gets a little tiring having to say every two minutes "no thank you".

And I'm not exaggerating, every two minutes I was asked to buy something.

Whether my eyes were closed or not.

One of the many "vendors". I think she asked to massage my feet. They really seemed to be into my feet

IMG_3537s_zps8avfg0m7.jpg~original

I had never been to Orient Beach, but went there on my last cruise. I don't think I'll be going back.

I just wanted to relax on the beach, but was bugged non-stop by beach "vendors".

Every two minutes "Would you like me to massage your feet?", "Would you like to buy a hat?", "Would you like to buy a t-shirt?"

I got no relaxation at all.

At one point there were 4 of them with 20 feet of me.

They really need to do something about this.

It gets a little tiring having to say every two minutes "no thank you".

And I'm not exaggerating, every two minutes I was asked to buy something.

Whether my eyes were closed or not.

One of the many "vendors". I think she asked to massage my feet. They really seemed to be into my feet

IMG_3537s_zps8avfg0m7.jpg~original

The beaches on St. Martin are open to everyone - including the local unemployed who see foreigners at popular spots like Orient as fair game. More out-of-the way beaches are much more relaxing - but they do not have the bars, restaurants, and miscellaneous attractions which draw the cruise passengers - which in turn attract the vendors.

We spent the day on Orient a couple years ago and I don't recall seeing any roving beach vendors. I've seen then in Mexico and the DR BD have always found that a friendly "no thanks" does the trick. Pardon my candor but complaining about a poor person trying to sell something is the ultimate example of a First World problem.

We spent the day on Orient a couple years ago and I don't recall seeing any roving beach vendors. I've seen then in Mexico and the DR BD have always found that a friendly "no thanks" does the trick. Pardon my candor but complaining about a poor person trying to sell something is the ultimate example of a First World problem.

Well put. The OP's comment: "they really need to do something about this" is an arrogant expression of the view that the islands (and their people) only exist for the pleasure of tourists.

"No thank you" works very well.

I know a simple "No thank you" works, but I don't want to have to say it every 2 minutes. They literally asked me to buy something every 2 minutes, but OK, you go there and see if you don't agree.

I will report back in 4 weeks!

I am shocked that you guys wouldnt be turned off going to a beach where you were hounded and pestered non stop. If I was bugged every 2 minutes to buy something I would be upset and would likely not return.

I like the idea of a vendors mall where the patrons could go and check out the locals offerings. Cayo Levantado island had just that. There's was along the main path from the tender drop off/pick-up spot near the dock. It was very busy and for those not interested a no thank you when they passed by was all that was needed.

I am shocked that you guys wouldnt be turned off going to a beach where you were hounded and pestered non stop. If I was bugged every 2 minutes to buy something I would be upset and would likely not return.

I like the idea of a vendors mall where the patrons could go and check out the locals offerings. Cayo Levantado island had just that. There's was along the main path from the tender drop off/pick-up spot near the dock. It was very busy and for those not interested a no thank you when they passed by was all that was needed.

You miss the point: no one said they would not be turned off by being "hounded and pestered non stop" . But how many are really hounded that frequently - and how many vendors are there really - so that perhaps four or five "no thank you'd" would not be all that was necessary?

A few polite turn downs have always worked for me --- but the real point of my earlier post was the arrogant "they really need to do something about this". ---

someone who feels that he should not have to deal with local populations who want to try to earn a living on the beaches of their own island really should just stay home --/ rather than inflate the discomfort of a few sales pitches.

You miss the point: no one said they would not be turned off by being "hounded and pestered non stop" . But how many are really hounded that frequently - and how many vendors are there really - so that perhaps four or five "no thank you'd" would not be all that was necessary?

A few polite turn downs have always worked for me --- but the real point of my earlier post was the arrogant "they really need to do something about this". ---

someone who feels that he should not have to deal with local populations who want to try to earn a living on the beaches of their own island really should just stay home --/ rather than inflate the discomfort of a few sales pitches.

I took the OP for his word. He said that he was bugged every 2 minutes by someone wanting to sell him a service or sell him something.

That's not right to me. I work hard and wouldnt want that on my vacation either.

If you disagree so be it!

Edited by Karysa

I have to agree with captain bob here.

The Club Orient property, the .3 miles of Orient Beach on the southern end, does not allow vendors onto 'their' beach. Security is there to hustle them off.

Some regulars there have a relationship with a particular island artist or crafter and can make arrangements with security to allow them to visit.

gary

I have to agree with captain bob here.

The Club Orient property, the .3 miles of Orient Beach on the southern end, does not allow vendors onto 'their' beach. Security is there to hustle them off.

Some regulars there have a relationship with a particular island artist or crafter and can make arrangements with security to allow them to visit.

gary

Isn't the c/o section of Orient beach public like the rest of the beaches on the island? Why can security intercept the vendors on that section?

Isn't the c/o section of Orient beach public like the rest of the beaches on the island? Why can security intercept the vendors on that section?

Yes, it's public.

But I have a faint recollection that the associated properties can legally prevent commercial operations on the beach in front of their establishments.

I know from direct observation that the typical beach vendors reverse course as soon as they venture onto the Club Orient section of the beach.

gary

This thread has me truly laughing. At this risk of spoiling some humor, we would point out that Club Orient is a "clothing optional" resort all the way on the southern (right side) of Orient Beach/Bay. Nothing wrong with the place for those into the nudist lifestyle, but one should go in with their eyes open (pun intended).

As to beach vendors, there are plenty of beaches on the island that have zero vendors. But for whatever reason, cruise ship visitors seem to congregate at the most commercial beaches (i.e. Orient). In a sense, cruisers choose the beaches with the vendors and then complain that there are vendors. Go figure.

Hank

Yes, it's public.

But I have a faint recollection that the associated properties can legally prevent commercial operations on the beach in front of their establishments.

I know from direct observation that the typical beach vendors reverse course as soon as they venture onto the Club Orient section of the beach.

gary

Well that is certainly interesting.

Exactly!

You could wear a swim suit on the Club Orient section of the 'clothing optional' section of the beach, and would be fine.

Just don't whip out your -------- camera. :)

gsry

This is very good advice.

If the beach vendors truly become obnoxious the establishment owners on the regular section of Orient Beach may need to get the same deal.

As for all the other beach clubs sit in a beach chair in the 2nd row. The vendors seem to hit up the 1st row of chairs. :)

Is that because from that point towards the bar is "rented" property or private? I have been approached at Mullet for a massage while in the 2nd row of chairs.

Is that because from that point towards the bar is "rented" property or private? I have been approached at Mullet for a massage while in the 2nd row of chairs.

I don't really know about property lines. Vendors do not bother me and I often talk or buy something. Buying something for 5.00 helps them out and the grandkids appreciate the gifts.

I don't really know about property lines. Vendors do not bother me and I often talk or buy something. Buying something for 5.00 helps them out and the grandkids appreciate the gifts.

I have bought beautiful jewellery from a flight attendant who sold her wares there. I think most of us would be ok with the odd vendor. The OP was adamant that he was approached every 2 minutes. He reiterated this and wow that would just not be on with me. I have a hard time that the vendors that pay rent would be ok with folks constantly bugging and ultimately chasing some of their patrons away.

• 1 month later...
I will report back in 4 weeks!

We were there a couple of weeks ago at the Kon-Tiki beach bar, where it looked like the OP was. There were beach vendors and I was pestered about every 45 minutes. We were there 5 hours and we had 7 beach vendors try to sell us stuff. I counted.

They were walking around but only "bothered" people who did show an interest in their wares. These hard working, enterprising folks did in no way diminish my enjoyment of the beach.

We were there a couple of weeks ago at the Kon-Tiki beach bar, where it looked like the OP was. There were beach vendors and I was pestered about every 45 minutes. We were there 5 hours and we had 7 beach vendors try to sell us stuff. I counted.

They were walking around but only "bothered" people who did show an interest in their wares. These hard working, enterprising folks did in no way diminish my enjoyment of the beach.

I was at Kon Tiki recently & had a similar experience. Actually the vendors were not aggressive & very quite. I have been to other ports were they hound you to buy & will not leave. Nuff said.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app