Independence booked - now questions

Quiltin"Mom

We have booked the independence of the Seas for the last part of April 2016. We are very excited. Our first cruise was a disaster and it was 15 years ago, so we are considering ourselves as new cruisers. We are a family of 4, kids are ages 12 and 8.

Some of our questions coming to mind are.....

1) Can we bring our own soda pop on? If so, is there a limit?

2) We arrive in Ft Lauderdale the day before our cruise. We have our hotel booked. We will not be getting a rental car, but relying on the Sun Trolley for transportation. What kind of family fun stuff should we do? I would love to find a place to rent one of those 4 wheel bicycles that seats 4 people. Like a car, but pedal power. What about the water taxi? Is there a lot to see on the water taxi?

3) Our ports of call are Belize City and Cozumel. I think in Cozumel we want to do the Chankanaab Park with the dolphin and sea lion interactions. We are struggling with finding something to do in Belize City. I have see some ports of call have all inclusive resorts that you can purchase a one day pass. Is there anything like that in Belize? If so, how do I find it? We don't like the idea of the long travel times to most of the excursions, so would love to just have some beach time or snorkeling on our own. Any information would be appreciated.

4) When we return from the cruise our flight leaves at 2:15ish in the afternoon. Would we have time to do anything fun before having to report to the airport? If so, what do we do with our luggage? What is the best way to get back to the airport? Just a taxi?

5) If we board the cruise as early as possible and get on the ship, what kinds of things are available to do? Are the pools open? Rock wall, surf thing? Or do those not open until the ship actually starts sailing. How about food? Is food available right away?

6) How warm are the pools on the ship?

I am sure I will have plenty more questions before we sail. I truly appreciate all of the information on this website. It makes planning and making the best of our vacation possible.

THANKS!!!

A lot of these questions can be answered on the RCI board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

The water taxi can easily be a full day event. Check watertaxi.com, and the Florida Departures board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

As to your flight, check with RCI on their excursions on the last day that end at the airport.

Hi Quiltin"Mom,

1.) Bringing Soda

The Official word on Royal Caribbean is that soda is not allowed to be brought on board. Some people smuggle it, but, it can get confiscated and you'll be sent to the "Naughty Room".

You're much better off getting the soda package. It's only $6.00 a day for kids for unlimited soda from the Coca-Cola Freestyle machines on board.

3.) Belize

You can more about Belize at the Port of Call boards here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=109

4.) Debark Tours

The cruise line often has tours that leave the ship on debark day and then go to the airport. You can browse the vacation planner section for something like this.

5.) Embarkation

It's best to get to the cruise pier by 10 am, check your bags at the curb, tip about $5 a bag. Check-in, then wait for boarding around 11 or 11:30 am.

Once on board head to the Windjammer, the buffet restaurant for lunch. The pools are usually open on embark day. Not sure about the Flowrider.

Keep in mind you will have to take part in the Lifeboat Drill (Muster) around an hour or so before the ship departs.

Here's a link to the Roll Call for your cruise where you can chat with other Cruise Critics booked on your voyage:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2242237

Have a great cruise.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

One thing I always do before a cruise is to check the website for the cruise line I'm going on, even if I'm repeating a cruise. There's usually a FAQ section that should answer many of your questions.

A good place to find out about ports is to get a guide book for that area and also to google each port. Plenty of tourism websites.

Well, two issues with the drink package. We don't typically drink alcohol. I know there is a non alcohol drink package, but hubby is a Pepsi guy not Coke. Also, he would only drink 2 or 3 cans a day. Just don't think it makes sense. Kids don't drink pop either. They will be happy with water, lemonade juice or milk. I will be fine with those as well. Throw in some ice tea and I am set. So if we can just get one 12pk of Pepsi on board everyone will be happy. :)

I have been researching Belize on here, but haven't seen anyone say if.there is an all inclusive resort in Belize that we can buy for the day. That would be ideal. Don't think I want to be on an island all day if is crowded.

I have requested info.from Ft Lauderdale, but is there a specific "guide book" you are referring to?

THANKS so much!!!

I have requested info.from Ft Lauderdale, but is there a specific "guide book" you are referring to?

THANKS so much!!!

All of the big travel guide companies put out a Fort Lauderdale guide book.

Fodor's, Frommers, Lonely Planet. Tripadvisor.com has a wealth of information on Fort Lauderdale:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel_Guide-g34227-Fort_Lauderdale_Florida.html

Go to your local bookstore or library and look in the travel section for Florida guide books, you will find tons of information.

A simple Google search for Fort Lauderdale will bring up all sorts of vacation planning information like this one here:

http://www.sunny.org/free-visitor-guide/

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking