HAL newbie-Formal Night in Specialty Restaurants

Shepsue

Good morning all:

My wife and I have been Celebrity Cruise loyalists, but we're ready to try something new so we are booked on the Koningsdam in December. It's been quite a while since we've been on a HAL ship so we have to start thinking about HAL's way of cruising again. Celebrity has done away with the concept of formal nights completely, but in all honesty, over the last 5 years or so, passengers gradually largely did away with it in their own, even before the corporate policy changed. One policy that did exist in past years was that if it was Formal Night in the MDR, you could dress more informally at the Specialty Restaurants on those nights

My question is this. On HAL, if it is a Formal Night, does that apply to the required dress in the specialty restaurants as well?

Thank you,

Shep

Here's the Holland Dress Code from their website. It's a matter of opinion whether there are any difference between Celebrity and HAL. The term "fine dining restaurant" refers to the MDR and the specialty dining.

Guest Attire

Q: Did HAL change their dress code?

A: Yes, some refinements were made to improve consistency and the policy now reads:

Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts, pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in fine dining restaurants.

Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including our five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, collared shirts and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants.

Q: Why the change from “Formal” To “Gala” night?

A: To many, the “Formal” term was misleading as it implies a specific type of dress (black tie or tuxedo) that has never been a requirement. “Gala” still implies festive or dressy without misleading guests to bring attire the majority of guests don’t wear.

Q: What about ladies’ gala attire?

A: Dressy attire is appropriate. Dresses, skirts, and slacks are all acceptable.

Q: Are a jacket and tie required for men?

A: Jacket and tie is the preferred attire in all fine dining restaurants on Gala Nights, though it is not required. Guests without a jacket and tie were allowed in the fine dining restaurants before the new wording so this is not a policy change.

Q: Are jeans allowed?

A: Jeans without holes, tears or embroidery are welcome on most evenings in all restaurants, but on Gala Nights jeans are only allowed in the casual dining restaurants.

Q: Can I wear shorts in the main dining room?

A: Not at dinner. The dining room is considered a fine dining restaurant and shorts are not permitted.

Q: Is the dress code the same on Grand Voyages?

A: Yes. The policy applies to all Holland America Line voyages.

Edited by RocketMan275

In our experience over the last year, we have seen tuxes, dark suits or sport jackets and also dress shirts with/without ties. RocketMan copied the official stance from HAL. I think there is a wide variety of dress on "Gala" nights. The MDR seems to dress up a bit on those nights. It also depends somewhat on the itinerary and length of cruise.

We were in the Pinnacle Grill on a "Gala" night on our last cruise. The dress seemed to mimic the MDR. I don't recall seeing anyone in real casual dress.

There are many threads that you can read on this subject here on the HAL boards.

It also depends perhaps on whether there is a special occasion. We were on a cruise over Xmas and people in the pinnacle on gala nights were all dressed to the nines except one couple on the second night. We watched diners stroll by on their way to the MDR which is only a sampling of all the diners, but they were all dressed in cocktail dresses or gowns, and tuxes or nice suits. The people strolling by in casual wear stood out as the exception. There was a large family whose men were stunning in guayaberas too. The ladies were very dressed up. they were a multi generation group. The other threads don't relate so much finery on other cruises. So maybe this was in honour of the season...

On Gala Nights on the Eurodam last October -- shortly after this new name came into place for what was Formal Nights -- we saw a lot of people dressed very nicely.

Only once did we see 2 men in the Pinnacle who didn't wear either a suit or jacket and tie.

In the Tamarind we saw more men without suits and jackets and ties on Gala Nights.

Good morning all:

My wife and I have been Celebrity Cruise loyalists, but we're ready to try something new so we are booked on the Koningsdam in December. It's been quite a while since we've been on a HAL ship so we have to start thinking about HAL's way of cruising again. Celebrity has done away with the concept of formal nights completely, but in all honesty, over the last 5 years or so, passengers gradually largely did away with it in their own, even before the corporate policy changed. One policy that did exist in past years was that if it was Formal Night in the MDR, you could dress more informally at the Specialty Restaurants on those nights

My question is this. On HAL, if it is a Formal Night, does that apply to the required dress in the specialty restaurants as well?

Thank you,

Shep

Nothing is preventing you from getting dressed up for Gala nights. HAL has changed the requirements and collared shirts and slacks for men is OK.

Your choice.

Dan