Oceanias Office

Jancruz

I agree with you and am trying to figure out a way to really get the CS working properly..

It sounds like CS is a real mess where they can't even get a consistent approach to handle the simplest of inquiries whether it be e-mail or telephone contacts.

Perhaps they should hire a professional in this area, rather than doing it on the cheap by hiring a travel agent to make suggestions. Unless someone has experience in a high volume call center, they will be unaware of all the resources (where the web and telephone work in concert with each other) that are available to increase customer satisfaction.

Service on the cheap along with expensive fares makes the bottom line look great in the short run, but does not bode well for long term health of this line.

If one thing seems to be consistent, it is that the Customer Service Office at Oceania is INconsistent.

The only time we ever got an automatic response from Oceania was in response to the smile sheet that we filled in after our cruise. Personally, I think the automatic response would be better than NO response, which is what has happened most to us.

I would like to include my 2 cents worth regarding thoughts on a good customer service group.

NO contact should be ignored. If the person taking the contact cannot answer it, the contact should be forwarded to the appropriate person. At the time it is forwarded, the customer should be advised that it has been forwarded with at least the name of the department that should provide the answer.

(The customer should not be told that it is going to the generic, Supervisor. I have a mental picture of a person sitting in a dungeon surrounded by letters and emails since EVERYTHING seems to go to this person called Supervisor.)

The forwarded to department should provide some sort of answer within seven to ten business days with an offer to provide additional information, if required.

Since we are doing a bit of a Wish List for the Oceania Web Site, perhaps it could include the DOCKED or TENDERED designation for each port with the caveat that things can change. I also think the Web Site should advise customers that pre-booked Shore Excursions are charged immediately.

Jan

I'm sorry there have been some offensive remarks concerning your efforts to make a good cruise line even better. I'm certain you realize that the vast majority of us are thrilled that you are taking the time and energy to accumulate constructive suggestions and then work with O's staff to effect those improvements that would satisfy our "critics".

Mike

Timlb, First of all, I NEVER work cheap and I was not "hired" or asked by Oceania to improve customer relations...I was doing this on my own time to help..

Jan

thanks for making my point......its even worse than I thought. An unpaid individual working as a "volunteer" is going to have a lot of power to get things changed.

In other words, Oceania is too cheap (or fails to realize they have a problem) to hire professional help to improve their customer service satisfaction levels.

It appears that "no good deed goes unpunished". Jan is a professional travel agent who specializes in selling Oceania's product. As a professional, she is dedicated to making a good product even better. As a customer of that product, I praise her for being proactive and volunteering her services to help straighten out perceived or real shortcomings in Oceania's customer service department.

Thank you Jan!

Mike

tlmlb..Jan's love of this cruiseline is evident. The fact that she takes her own time to gather information from people on this forum ( who may not be her clients) to pass along to the ship , so that we may all recieve better customer service is really appreciated.Why do you criticize her?

Hi Mike,

Check the web site..I do believe the corrections should have been made..

and thanks for the kind words..

Jan

Most have been made, Jan. The link to the "Recommended Reading" tab for our South America cruise still leads to a non-existent page, however.

And.. you're welcome!!

Mike

Jan:

Just my 2c (probably all that it is worth!!)...

I don't know if Oceania uses a CRM system (Customer Relationship Management) for tracking customers, etc., but, given the responses I have received from them, I seriously doubt it. Either that or they have a lousy system, or very bad training on it.

All of a customer's information would be logged onto the system. When a client calls or e-mails, the CSR (Customer Service Representative) would have all the data about the client readily at hand, including details of their phone calls, e-mails, etc. Thus, a CSR would know exactly which cruise a client was calling about, who their T/A is, how many cruises they had taken, etc etc.....

The requests, questions, comments are filed in a database for review by management, allowing them to enhance their product.

Oversight and management of client questions are readily accomplished. CSR training can be much more specific. Quite how a service company can exist without such a tool in today's world is incomprehensible. Companies that are serious about good customer service would not be caught dead without one. I have had a lot of experience dealing with such systems, and the improvement in response, workflow, client satisfaction, and prodcut enhancement can be quite extraordinary.

Just a thought.

tlmlb..Jan's love of this cruiseline is evident. The fact that she takes her own time to gather information from people on this forum ( who may not be her clients) to pass along to the ship , so that we may all recieve better customer service is really appreciated.Why do you criticize her?

If you read carefully, my criticism is specifically directed at Oceania. Oceania is the one that needs to get their act together regarding customer service. They must invest in a quality customer care program.

If you think I am harsh and that I pick on travel agents, well, so be it. However, I see many agents that act in their own and their travel suppliers self interests. This should not be surprising since agents earn commissions (and they don't work cheaply) that are paid by these suppliers and, unfortunately, that is what secures their loyalty.

An agent acting in the interests of the CC community should not be promoting themselves or their suppliers in said forum.

Jan,

As I stated in my prior post that you quoted; You started this thread(with good intentions) asking for feedback and I said you you should be prepared for what you may receive back from posters. You are bound to receive good and bad and if you really want to help the customer service problem that exists at "O" getting defensive about the not-so-polite posts is only going to exacerbate the matter, then the "janfans" find it necessary to come to your defense (you are a big girl and do not need them chiming in to defend you, however well intentioned they are) then the rudeness just perpetuates resulting in the thread being pulled from the board with nothing being accomplished. I certainly hope you were not accusing me of flaming when you quoted my post as I do not feel I was flaming you nor was it my intention. I sincerely hope you are able to accomplish something positive with "O"'s ineffective customer service and website from the feedback you receive from this thread.

Doug

Doug, you are absolutely correct and I will not be doing anything but stating the facts from this point..thanks for letting me know.I do want to help and I do think I have helped accomplish things at the office and on the website..

Jan

Doug you wrote in part:then the janfans find it necessary to come to your defense ..and also you wrote in part:resulting in the thread being pulled from the board with nothing being accomplished.. Perhaps you should read what you wrote.. this so called reference of yours..to Janfans.. is exactly the reason that threads get pulled

Doug you wrote in part:then the janfans find it necessary to come to your defense ..and also you wrote in part:resulting in the thread being pulled from the board with nothing being accomplished.. Perhaps you should read what you wrote.. this so called reference of yours..to Janfans.. is exactly the reason that threads get pulled

Claudia, Don't you dare blame me!! I just had a feeling that I'd hear from you. You seem to find some fault with anything I post. My posting was quite civil and polite. MAYBE YOU SHOULD JUST LET JAN HANDLE THIS MATTER, as she obviously was not offended by what I said. Your little version of the BLAME GAME serves no purpose. Your pointless posts are what result in hostility and threads getting pulled! My, my are you offended by the term "janfan"? I see nothing offensive about it. This term would not result in the thread being pulled.

I read the post made earlier today at work reagarding what I perceived to be a critisim of Jan. I wrote and deleted a few lines a few times, including an angry face icon.

I think that most have spoken of the good itnentions of Jan's so I don't need to add to it, it is evident.

tlmlb, I think you eventually got back to the intention Jan had, but in a long and winding way, and in a not nice way either, IMHO, but you did finally end up indicating what you perceive to be specific issues in the customer service area.

That's exactly what I beleive she wanted from any of us. Perhaps your description of your concerns will help this one person help so many others who face similar situations. ;)

Claudia, Don't you dare blame me!! I just had a feeling that I'd hear from you. You seem to find some fault with anything I post. My posting was quite civil and polite.

I don't blame you a bit... free country, rant and rave as you wish.. but think that just about every post you respond to blasts the poster..that is what I find offensive.. but that is just my opinion.If you think I am wrong about the way you have posted to others on this cc forum..click on your name above and re-read all of your posts........ there is a pattern my friend.

You just have to keep it going, you seem bound and determined to get this thread pulled which would be a shame because Jan may be able to use some of the feedback to improve "O". You clearly are delusional, where are these posts of mine that you refer to that supposedly blast the poster? Make up your mind, first you blame me for getting threads pulled and now you don't blame me a bit. I don't rant and rave and you need to check the definition of "friend" I have relatively few posts compared to you, the "BOARD KNOW IT ALL" that seems to find it necessary to make pointless posts that serve absolutely no purpose but to antagonize and accuse with no basis in fact, this is what I find offensive. Why do you find it necessary to throw accusations around with your condescending tone? Also what do you think you are accomplishing with these accusations? You should reread all your posts, it would keep you occupied for awhile so you wouldn't have time to butt in and antagonize others.

It appears that "no good deed goes unpunished". Jan is a professional travel agent who specializes in selling Oceania's product. As a professional, she is dedicated to making a good product even better. As a customer of that product, I praise her for being proactive and volunteering her services to help straighten out perceived or real shortcomings in Oceania's customer service department.

Thank you Jan!

Mike

Mike,

Agree 100%. Thanks for saying it so well!

Jane

Timlb, First of all, I NEVER work cheap and I was not "hired" or asked by Oceania to improve customer relations...I was doing this on my own time to help.

Oceania needs professional help here.......not one of their "exclusive" agents gathering anecdotal evidence

Now, it might make your clients and potential clients (that you shamelessly solicit here) feel warm and fuzzy that you are really in their corner by your perceived effort. But let me ask you a direct question. How do you expect to be really effective and who are you really helping with your good intentions?

Oceania hasn't asked you or hired you for your opinions or suggestions and thus real progress is futile. You have no real idea on how Oceania's customer service group works as evidenced by your admission that you did not know if they use CRM, only that they had a "real sophisticated" computer system. Nor were you aware that the web site, e-mail and phone center should work in concert for effective customer service. You are not the person for this job, you will be just another complainer in Oceania's eyes. Oceania needs to make real investments in thier service infrastructure.

I think its a bad case of spin that tries to placate the customer and make the company look better......of course, spin is cheap. Just like this cruise line when it comes to investing in their business. Don't be surprised if its turned over quickly. Hopefully, to those who will know how to run it responsibly

Archived