First X Cruise:SILHOUETTE JAN 17 2016

Bimmer09

Norris, I hope you did not miss the our favorite the bird cages. I fairly certain they are coming later.

I heard the crews were going to have a football (soccer) match, but they did not for some reason. It was interesting watching the two crews interacting especially when the Silhouette was holding a crew drill.

You would be right about the birdcages-inspired art!

Norris

Hello Norris

I have been enjoying reading your review.

The photos and video of your Segway tour brought back memories of visits to San Juan that we enjoyed when the Crown Princess stopped there several years ago.

On one visit, hubby and I did take that long walk to El Morro in the very hot , July sun. Some ocean breezes made the walk bearable as well as seeing kite flyers on the lovely stretch of grass that leads to the fort.

Once inside, I was busy taking photos of the fort and the surrounding sea while hubby became immersed in reading all the historical information that was posted in the various areas.

After a sweat-filled hour, I persuaded him to leave the fort and we took a cab back to the ship.

The cool,air conditioning of the ship was a welcome treat to say the least!

On a second visit to San Juan, we walked around Old San Juan and visited the hotel,El Convento.

This hotel is located in a former convent and is absolutely lovely.

There is an open,inside courtyard filled with flowers and unusual plants. We had a drink at the bar there and struck up a conversation with the bartender and the hotel manager.

The manager kindly gave us a tour of the hotel which included the roof top terrace with swimming pool and an amazing view of the city.

Thank you for reminding us of our visits to San Juan - lovely times!

I am also impressed with the photos of the Silhouette.

The ship looks very impressive both in the interior and the outside decks.

We sailed on the Summit to Bermuda about five years ago and we were not very impressed with that ship.

We returned to Princess after that X experience.

But, your review is causing me to consider trying the Silhouette sometime,especially if one of the ports on the itinerary is San Juan. We could return to that interesting port during the winter months instead of during hot,hot hot July. That would be a treat!

I am looking forward to reading more of this page-turner review!

Tuning in tomorrow- same place,same station.

Hello Norris....

Thank you for reminding us of our visits to San Juan - lovely times!

I am also impressed with the photos of the Silhouette.

The ship looks very impressive both in the interior and the outside decks.

We sailed on the Summit to Bermuda about five years ago and we were not very impressed with that ship.

We returned to Princess after that X experience.

But, your review is causing me to consider trying the Silhouette sometime,especially if one of the ports on the itinerary is San Juan. We could return to that interesting port during the winter months instead of during hot,hot hot July. That would be a treat!

I am looking forward to reading more of this page-turner review!

Tuning in tomorrow- same place,same station.

MJ, nice tho see you here!

I'm glad you were reminded of your visits to San Juan-that port was one more compelling reason to sail X and this ship.

We haven't sailed on a ship that we regretted yet so I am sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the Summit. We both enjoyed the Silhouette from the first minute. I am sure if you sail enough ships there will be some that just fail to meet your expectations. We are limited to a maximum of two a year.

I'm glad you found this review and I would be happy if more Princess readers came by to see what the S Class experience is about. This was just our first one but we are already holding a deposit on our 2nd-the Reflection doing the same route next Jan but it's a flexible deposit and we can move it to another ship to another destination before then. I will tell you about the deal we got later in the story.

Yes please keep reading-there are entire decks I haven't shown yet- and thanks for the kind comments!

Cheers!

Norris

Molecular Bar

24170569293_99a3bb3788_b.jpg

I love the Hummingbird visuals!

24679604562_23740164d8_b.jpg

24429781009_5d9b9a2238_b.jpg

Passing by Cafe al Baccio

24169287354_d6f81b2142_b.jpg

These are from what is really an empty corridor as you walk to Ensemble Lounge but I can't stop looking at them as I pass. The sound of birds and a river are piped in. Brilliant! However-those apples have been lying on the floor since we got on the ship. I called Housekeeping and they did nothing about the mess.

24170584673_93074c2a67_b.jpg

24429797529_6eb54b99a3_b.jpg

Good Morning Norris!

Where is the Molecular Bar? I can't find it on the deck plans of the ship. I have heard about this bar in other reviews and would like to check it out. Looks like a cool bar where you get different kinds of drinks I heard.

Really enjoying the review Norris. Your photos bring back such great memories and also show us what we missed.

Husband (the passenger injured in the segway accident) had successful surgery today to repair fracture(s) to his shoulder. He has enjoyed reading along too, although he is not a CC member/poster.

Enjoying your restaurant reviews too--we had a lovely, quiet lunch in The Porch one port day. Husband had his usual burger and I had the "seafood tower" which was a nice collection of steamed shellfish, including shrimp, lobster and mussels and I recall, served cold on ice. Not sure if there was a charge for eating there, since our package provided "unlimited" specialty dining.

We thought food in Murano was good, but the restaurant was a bit loud (busy, and therefore loud?) the night we were there and we felt somewhat rushed by the servers. Wine pairings were good and our points perhaps minor. We agreed we would eat there again.

We never made it to the Lawn Club Grill. Will have to try it next time.

Our next cruise is X to Western Med with a group of ballroom dance friends this spring. Then we go to Alaska on Princess this summer. I have read your Coral Princess review and am afraid X has me spoiled! I will have an open mind though.

Carry on--Great project and so appreciated.

emelle

Emelle we are happy to hear your husband is on the mend!

I hope at some point you'll be back in San Juan and can do that Segway tour.

The Porch is on our list for the future. Lawn Club Grill we would miss if we sailed on the ships that have the Corning Show instead. You can't eat glass! Well I guess you could try...

Which ship to Western Med? Sailing from Barcelona? Give BCN our love and tell her we'll be back!

Thanks for updating us on your husband and give him our best wishes.

Norris

Good Morning Norris!

Where is the Molecular Bar? I can't find it on the deck plans of the ship. I have heard about this bar in other reviews and would like to check it out. Looks like a cool bar where you get different kinds of drinks I heard.

It's deck 5 forward where those fancy watch stores are but on the Deck 5 sign it is listed as Galleria Tastings which might have been it's name when launched in 2011.

Norris

Norris, You've probably already been informed but I wanted to point out that the mysterious 'volcano' island you passed on your way to St. Kitts was Nevis.

Thank you for this!

I could have stepped in to the room and looked at the Nav map on the TV or called the butler and asked him to come down and look at the TV as it was at least 15 feet away, LOL!

Very dramatic profile, St Nevis!

Norris

It's deck 5 forward where those fancy watch stores are but on the Deck 5 sign it is listed as Galleria Tastings which might have been it's name when launched in 2011.

Norris

Hi Norris, I think I saw somewhere that you said you upgraded your drink package. Did you get any drinks at the Molecular Bar? Were they included in the drink package? the drinks look amazing there!

This is art in the spacious corridor leading the Tuscan Grille, Qsine and Blu

24704015371_d0394e91f8_b.jpg

Detail

24771278006_0c163da488_b.jpg

24679669842_e3fe001c15_b.jpg

Ensemble Lounge where you also find Murano and Michael's Club

24679671662_e8a01a7cdd_b.jpg

More art

24169350444_7312abbc6c_b.jpg

You have taken some AMAZING pictures, you are really getting me excited for my cruise. Thank you so much for taking the time to do your review and share with everyone! We have sailed on Constellation and Summit and loved them ships. They are very easy to walk around, and are beautiful too, but this class ship looks even more beautiful. Can't Wait! :D

Hi Norris, I think I saw somewhere that you said you upgraded your drink package. Did you get any drinks at the Molecular Bar? Were they included in the drink package? the drinks look amazing there!

No drinks at Molecular alas. I really just drink beer during the day and wine with dinner-that's why you won't see Martinis in my reviews although they add a nice splash of color. I drink dark rum and cokes and Mojitos from time to time, usually in somewhere warm. I never do shots. I like Bailey's on ice to sip.

I don't go to bars in real life. One regret is not going to the Martini Bar with the camcorder to capture the skills of the bartenders there-that's like a great Circus act. Next time!

Norris

No drinks at Molecular alas. I really just drink beer during the day and wine with dinner-that's why you won't see Martinis in my reviews although they add a nice splash of color. I drink dark rum and cokes and Mojitos from time to time, usually in somewhere warm. I never do shots. I like Bailey's on ice to sip.

I don't go to bars in real life. One regret is not going to the Martini Bar with the camcorder to capture the skills of the bartenders there-that's like a great Circus act. Next time!

Norris

I usually just drink wine, beer, Tanqueray with Tonic, and Mojitos too. The last cruise I did purchase a martini, but it is so strong I couldn't drink it all. We were at the martini bar a lot. We would meet our friends/family there before dinner each night. The bar tenders do put on an amazing show when they pour MANY martinis at one time. SO COOL to watch! I don't know if it will really be worth it to me to upgrade, but the drinks at the Molecular Bar look so cool to try for fun.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/1545944_10201458027588720_1525200784_n.jpg?oh=c96d1afb4a069021c2f50deab7a4c1d2&oe=576E4168

Sambuca and espresso after dinner Norris---Is that something you have given up?

Winncruiser-great to see you here!

Not giving up on Sambuca and espresso! I think I had more desserts on this ship than I usually do. The Sambuca is usually in lieu of dessert.

Well spotted! Now put me down in Rome and it's a different story!

Cheers,

Norris

We docked in Basseterre at 10 a.m and I think our excursion had us getting off the ship at 11.30. Back on board time was 5.45 p.m.

Before our much anticipated Sugar train and catamaran ride I was up by Sunset taking a few pics...

24720200131_a7ab2fce25_b.jpg

Eclipse- I noticed their lawn area doesn't have the Alcoves, hammocks and Giant Adirondack chairs. Also their grass looks like a herd of bison stampeded through.

(see ROWSE review on the ship)

24518165710_13a87fa019_b.jpg

The Royal Clipper comes into view

24446032119_9dc30f09d9_b.jpg

24813692775_c1b1b54798_b.jpg

24446033799_4bf102fe01_b.jpg

I'm not getting much of a Wi Fi signal back in our cabin so I pop down to the Internet center to see if there is anyone working. Short answer=No.

See you there.

In the hallway are Room Steward carts. They work in teams of two.

24446045039_7fcff95268_b.jpg

I noticed 3 rooms in a row with this sign attached and wondered if it was a family who had been called away due to a family emergency or people who were put off the ship for misbehavior.

24518181390_190f6f518f_b.jpg

Back in the room

24518183360_d4234d7f5e_b.jpg

With sunscreen applied and all cameras gathered we made our way to deck 2 to go ashore...

There was a photographer awaiting on the dock and he took a picture of the "Dork with the camera on his head" which is how I am now known in St. Kitts.

The camera was there for our Catamaran ride so I could have my hands free to hold a drink. I'm not so stupid as I look in this photo!

24446776009_a7b795644f_b.jpg

Two Beauties!

24695858902_8235a2d365_b.jpg

We had to find our tour among the many at the end of the dock. It was just a mass of people. We found it by being observant and we waited in the shade while other Sugar Train pax who weren't taken the catamaran back to the ship were segregated and led off.

Finally it was our turn and we always stay until we are last in line-better odds of getting an unfilled bus that way (Travel tip #1)

Here's a video of the bus ride to the train. I do these so I can get some local color as we ride.....

You'll see the Costa Favolosa at a distant berth.

Once we get off the bus we will be loaded onto the train and sit in the top deck.

You can also sit downstairs where it is cool and there is a bathroom.

There will be video and photos of the train ride.

The Evacuation sign on the cabin doors is for a crew emergency excersize. We had this done on our last Celebrity cruise.

Again-thank you! You are now my Point Man for Facts!

Cheers,

Norris

I'll be taking photos (surprise!) as we wind our way through some beautiful countryside and coastline.

We are in carriage # 4 of I think 8 and each carriage has a steward who will be bringing us cold drinks-sodas, fruit punch, pina coladas and most importantly rum and cokes. Our gal is Ernestine and we kept her busy.

There is some narration as we go and I may clip the announcer's words at times-but that's life in the big cit-er, in the big sugar cane fields.

Coming along for the ride?

Norris