First X Cruise:SILHOUETTE JAN 17 2016

Bimmer09

Really enjoyed your segway tour of Old San Juan. We wandered around the old city before the start of our only Celebrity cruise, on the Meridian, which left from San Juan. I regret that we didn't have time to see El Morro. Your photos inside the walls are terrific. I need to go back someday and explore this National Historic Site.

We look forward to seeing San Juan again too.

Norris

I totally enjoyed your Segway tour. The Go Pro worked beautifully. I was all ready to book the tour for our March 27th Sihouette Cruise when you mentioned the accident. We were on Princess years ago when my husband and another fellow were racing down the stairs to beat the ladies to lunch. My husband fell and dislocated his ankle. Princess went overboard in providing both of us with amazing care. Go ahead and call me a "fraidy cat". I don't ever want to have another great cruise cut short!

I don't know why, but I missed the 3rd and 4th Segway videos. I'm going to go back and see what I did wrong. I don't want to miss a thing!

Nashna, sorry to hear about the accident on the stairs but accidents can happen anywhere-even in your home. We do low-risk adventures (except landing on glaciers in Helicopters) and listen to all instructions given. The Segway accident shouldn't have happened. We were all told up front to keep away from the other riders.

I'm glad you are enjoying the tour-if they have Segway tours in your town take one-we are going to do some in Chicago.

Norris

Loving this review. We are on on 2/21. Western Caribbean itinerary but your review has given me a lot to think about. How will I survive with only one small cyber shot camera ? !! We are Aqua but will be finitely be trying murano and await further info before deciding where else.

Steve- 3 words; Lawn Club Grill.

You'll see it later today, hopefully.

Use your phone for pics too- the more cameras the merrier!

Norris

Thank you for such a brilliant review, the photographs and your humour make for very enjoyable reading.

I have also looked back at your recent review on Princess as we are doing the West Med from Rome to Barcelona in the summer, although we have been to both before the photographs are making me look forward to them even more.

Barcelona we visited fairly recently but we have not been to Rome for fifteen years so really looking forward to our few days pre-cruise.

Vadell thanks for the compliments. I am glad you are enjoying turning the pages.

Rome? Don't get me started....

Norris

Hi

We are having a wonderful holiday sailing along with you each day whilst reading you posts. Fantastic job and great photos. I'll have to get one of those things to attach my camera to the verandah.

By the way did you use Michaels much. I'd like to know what they do as regards drinks, snacks and entertainment.

Looking forward to the next instalment

Tony and Angie

Tony, thanks for coming aboard. Vicarious holidays are great value for the Pound.

That flexible tripod stayed on the railing for days as we sailed along-grips really well.

We won't get to Michael's until Thursday night in the story. I can tell you there is no entertainment.

Your kind comments are much appreciated. Many thanks!

Norris

I am thoroughly enjoying your review, pictures, and videos. We were on the Silhouette 2 years ago (Western Carib) and will be on the Reflection on the 20th of this month! Reading your posts just makes me more excited to go (didn't think that was possible!). I am especially loving all of the San Juan pics/videos. We haven't been there since 2008 (i.e. WAY too long) but I have loved it every time. Previously it has been our starting point for cruises; this is the first it is a port along the way. Sailing in and out of San Juan Harbour has always been a favorite - so beautiful.

I have also started on your Ocean Princess review from Venice. We visited there in 2011 on the Solstice. I think I could be content to just stop and rewatch the Venice videos since they bring back such wonderful memories.

I am curious about Princess, like your review style (fun, complete, and fair) so will continue to watch to learn more about their ships. Thanks again for sharing!

Kim

Me personally? I wouldn't miss out on the Lawn Club which you'll see later today if I ever get off this Segway. It's fun, well lit so you can enjoy the colors of the food. It's a blazing oasis of light on a deck where there are few other people and the warm Caribbean air can come in and remind you you are on a ship not in a land restaurant such as Murano. The funnel is a bit of a giveaway too.

The food is meat-centric and obviously basic, not finessed like Murano.

I'll save my words on Tuscan until we are eating there which I think is on Thursday night after St Maarten.

Again personally I would try the 4 different ones on offer-you'll never know which is your favorite without trying them all. I know Qsine is a bit gimmicky and theatrical and some times you just want a quiet, predictable meal. But I sure want to try it !

Hope this helps,

Norris

Thanks mate!

Still loving the review! The pictures are *almost* convincing me to get off the ship in San Juan - I honestly had the worst day of my Disney Fantasy cruise last February that day (salvaged only because cousins were on the HAL ship that docked in the afternoon and we met to chat and hit Starbucks). The city just did nothing for me, but your pictures are gorgeous!

I am thoroughly enjoying your review, pictures, and videos. We were on the Silhouette 2 years ago (Western Carib) and will be on the Reflection on the 20th of this month! Reading your posts just makes me more excited to go (didn't think that was possible!). I am especially loving all of the San Juan pics/videos. We haven't been there since 2008 (i.e. WAY too long) but I have loved it every time. Previously it has been our starting point for cruises; this is the first it is a port along the way. Sailing in and out of San Juan Harbour has always been a favorite - so beautiful.

I have also started on your Ocean Princess review from Venice. We visited there in 2011 on the Solstice. I think I could be content to just stop and rewatch the Venice videos since they bring back such wonderful memories.

I am curious about Princess, like your review style (fun, complete, and fair) so will continue to watch to learn more about their ships. Thanks again for sharing!

Kim

Kim, thanks for the kind documents on my "Style" which is really just a leftover from my days of writing letters to friends far away-written with a fountain pen and does anyone remember bottles of ink and blotting paper?

Now it's e mail.

The Venice videos are magical to me-all I had to do was turn the camcorder on and hold it and all this beauty just flooded the lens, day or night. I specially enjoy our dinner by the canal in the pouring rain when on cue a gondolier comes by singing with a beautiful voice and the wet people in the gondola are smiling big...I couldn't have scripted it better! I adore Venice.

Everyone should be curious about Princess- they are celebrating 50 years at sea and have 18 ships. People can look at my reviews and decide if it looks like their style or not. Similarly this review may interest others in trying X. Some of my videos will end up on the HAL board, Costa and the RCI board as I filmed their ships docking. A HAL reader might click on my signature and learn about Princess and X through my reviews. Knowledge is Power while Ignorance has no place in the Computer Generation. I have an Encyclopedia open in front of me all day long via this laptop.

Thanks for letting me know you are reading along with us!

Norris

Really enjoyed your segway tour of Old San Juan. We wandered around the old city before the start of our only Celebrity cruise, on the Meridian, which left from San Juan. I regret that we didn't have time to see El Morro. Your photos inside the walls are terrific. I need to go back someday and explore this National Historic Site.

Our very first Celebrity cruise was on the Meridian in 1996! We have now sailed 235 nights on Celebrity and are sailing on the Silhouette TA this year. We also sail on Princess and have 129 nights with them. This review is wonderful and makes me want to book another cruise today!

Still loving the review! The pictures are *almost* convincing me to get off the ship in San Juan - I honestly had the worst day of my Disney Fantasy cruise last February that day (salvaged only because cousins were on the HAL ship that docked in the afternoon and we met to chat and hit Starbucks). The city just did nothing for me, but your pictures are gorgeous!

I am sure there are excursions where you can see the city without walking in the heat and maybe find yourself at a stunning beach or some scenic place in the countryside.

I have to get off in the ports and get a taste of the island. Sometimes I am just looking out the bus window at abject poverty but I still see smiling faces. Those kind of sights in somewhere like Roatan turn my whining meter down to zero.

There's a lot of beauty in the world, even in a poor one: natural beauty and the beauty of the people who don't have what we have but have welcoming hearts and smiles.

Take a Segway tour if you are under 65!

Even if ships didn't offer excursions I'd be off the ship sitting at an outdoor cafe in the warm weather with a Cuba Libre and watching the locals go about their lives.

To me it's enriching to go ashore. I can avoid Diamonds International easily and areas which are not safe (like Tanzanite International) and places I wouldn't set foot in (defined as anywhere they play Jimmy Buffet music)

Go ashore in San Juan!

Norris

Our very first Celebrity cruise was on the Meridian in 1996! We have now sailed 235 nights on Celebrity and are sailing on the Silhouette TA this year. We also sail on Princess and have 129 nights with them. This review is wonderful and makes me want to book another cruise today!

Thanks for the compliments on the review! I have 7 nights on Celebrity and 56 on Princess so I am really lagging behind.

We like our land vacations just as much as cruises so there can be no catching up.

C'est la vie.

Norris

Thanks for a delightful review thus far! Love to see some of San Juan, where I'll be departing from in less than 2 months.

Looking forward to more!

Thanks for popping in and I am glad you are reading it!

There will be more as I need to write everyday to get this done in a timely fashion and move on to the next and let my blog readers know I am still alive and feed the neglected cat and so on and so forth and things of that nature.

Enjoy San Juan!!

Norris

I sure like the look of riding a Segway down that long sidewalk leading up to El Morro vice walking as we have always done....on the Kite front we have seen them but it wasn't at sundown, it was a Sunday and that entire grassy area on both side of the long sidewalk was covered with families picnicking and flying kites because that elevated point has perfect winds for kite flying...hundreds of kites flying all at once, it was fantastic! And to the person who didn't want to debark in San Juan, you will be missing out...go explore Old San Juans alleys and back streets with their small bars and restaurants, its one of the most authentic and historical cities in the Caribbean.

24627763911_54f1e092e5_b.jpg

Our last stop was this huge building whose square is used for concerts and food fairs. Carol may remember it's name or origin but I don't. Let's just call it a beautiful and impressive building!

24627766281_25a66a30f6_b.jpg

24353605869_775c05879d_b.jpg

24603491162_4e64146161_b.jpg

24721275465_e500891c60_b.jpg

Back on the Segways and we stopped briefly on a corner to see the cemetery that rests by the sea. I wish we had been closer as it's a much-photographed San Juan image.

24603494132_d74e13257d_b.jpg

Next up- back to Segway HQ in video

There is no lunch in Blu, Norris, so you didn't miss anything. Love the clarity of your pictures. Does National Geographic know about you?

NG only knows me as a subscriber since 1991. I love that magazine. I can sail down mosquito infested rivers and not get bitten once.

If they gave me an assignment- Sidewalk Cafes of Paris- I would jump at it.

Thanks for the photo comments!

Norris

Our last stop was this huge building whose square is used for concerts and food fairs. Carol may remember it's name or origin but I don't. Let's just call it a beautiful and impressive building!

That building is the Ballaja Barracks built between 1854 and 1864 to house the Spanish Troops. It is now occupied by the Museo de las Americas.

That building is the Ballaja Barracks built between 1854 and 1864 to house the Spanish Troops. It is now occupied by the Museo de las Americas.

Jasperdo-thank you for the information!

Cheers,

Norris

Loving the review and photos, Norris. Making me even more excited!

Fantastic! We'll look forward to seeing you on board. The hubby and I often travel with friends, but this time decided it'd just be the two of us for a change, as our last several vacations have been with others.

I noticed in one of your other posts you mentioned being a ship nerd (me too), and a possible interest in Princess. As I've mentioned, and as you can see below, we're Princess ... er ... "regulars" (doing my best to avoid the obvious puns); aficionados, if you will. ;) We would be more than happy to discuss the features of the ships and the line with you if you have any interest. We find Princess to be very comfortable for us, but are also excited to try something new. I've wanted to sail on an S-Class ship since I saw the first promo pics of the Solstice.

I'll look forward to seeing you around the ship. Can't believe we sail 2 weeks from today!!!

I'm definitely going to be asking you a slew of questions about Princess and how it "stacks" up to your Celebrity experience. The S-Class ships really have an amazing wow-factor, the pictures, videos, and especially actually being on the ship always get me excited!!

I look forward to meeting (less than 2 weeks!)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should know better than to miss several days of reading one of your reviews! It has taken me 2 days, but now I'm finally caught up.

I was especially interested in your Segway Tour in San Juan. DH and I have done a number of Segway Tours in different places, but have not done San Juan yet. I loved your videos!

We do not have another cruise scheduled until November. Having read just these first few days of this review,I am now dying to get another cruise booked between now and our November sailing. I just have to convince DH it's a good idea. He seems to think the fact that I'm still recovering from bilateral knee replacement might make cruising right now not such a good idea. :confused: OK, I do have to admit he may have a point there, but recovery is going well so maybe I can convince him. :p :D

When we left the ship for our excursion she looked like this

24627725441_c0138af9c6_b.jpg

Now she looked like this

24695070286_da95997765_b.jpg

I'd imagine that arriving on schedule at 3.30 pm, and not two hours earlier as we did, must make for a frustratingly short port stay in such a fine port.There's certainly not much beach time available before dark.

While we were gone a passenger walking alone had fallen through the dock into the water and was injured during the fall. I heard that he had been pulled out of the water and taken to hospital. Ship's officers came ashore to write a report on the incident.

Your life can change in a careless moment or through someone else's negligence.

Club Med II

24093116414_c15a9c4a33_b.jpg

Aida Vita in the distance

24721289515_92854038f2_b.jpg

24094456073_7603013fe1_b.jpg

This may be one of those tourist galleons that appear in some ports to do rum cruises. Anyone know?

24721291655_804d950c36_b.jpg

24695078956_5fe2b4a507_b.jpg

24627790241_835c521ab4_b.jpg

24425763760_a133b061ee_b.jpg

24094463143_d555715ba2_b.jpg

24627797891_ca162d51cc_b.jpg

The welcome-back station with cold facecloths and water

24425771760_8d641154a4_b.jpg

We would miss this evenings show held at 8.30 and 10.30: Pete Matthews, a comedy juggler from the UK. The ship was due to sail at 9 so the early show was not an option. We had booked the Lawn Club Grill for 9.30 so figured the 10.30 option not viable either.

We were both elated by our Segway experience. Thank you Carol for picking it out from the list on the X website! We're just waiting for nicer weather to Segway in Chicago.

We enter the ship on deck 2.

Norris