First X Cruise:SILHOUETTE JAN 17 2016

Bimmer09

Norway is the big draw for me, not so much the St Petersburg Palaces and such.

I like natural beauty...Alesund, Fjords. Flam railway calls to me too. Gold leaves me cold as does ostentation. I always think of the people outside the palace walls eating raw turnips, or each other, to survive.

We did Norway and Iceland out of Southampton on Eclipse last year ..was a lovely trip

Kasijab. We must have been on the same trip [emoji3]. & I'd just logged on to recommend the same itinerary to Norris. Although hopefully with less fog in Geirangerfjiord!

very true ...we were lucky to be able to get in there that day :)

very true ...we were lucky to be able to get in there that day :)

We stopped at Stavanger, Norway on our British Isle cruise. We took a ferry cruise to Lysefjord which was beautiful! It was a foggy, wet & cold day but beautiful trip. Would like to see more of Norway some day.

One last quick question before we sail.....

On this trip which side of the ship faced land when in port?

"I'm leaving on a jet plane, don't know when I'll be back again..."

Hi, if this question is about our Silhouette cruise (as opposed to Baltic) the bow faced land when docked. When approaching San Juan we sailed along the Northern coast of Puerto Rico with the island seen from the Starboard side.

St Kitts and St Maarten were on the Port side as we approached from miles away

so I was able to take my island photos from our port balcony.

Hope this helps,

Norris

CRUISE DAY 3 TUESDAY JANUARY 19TH 2016

Today I was up at 5 a.m and looking forward to seeing San Juan again. I had been there in 1992 (?) when I joined the Carnival Sensation for a Southern Caribbean cruise that apart from Aruba and Grenada, visited Venezuela. A great itinerary for me.

Time to get up to the Oceanview Cafe for some coffee, then hit the decks

This is the walk facing me as I leave the cabin. The 7th deck elevators are at the end of it.

24425516370_4745e48736_b.jpg

Take a peek into the Hideaway while waiting for my ride

24721076555_2cdbbdfe84_b.jpg

24721090515_87a518a019_b.jpg

I love the Panoramic elevator ride up to 14

24721051735_a200f9dff4_b.jpg

Get a cup of that fine Lavazza coffee and head out the back door of the buffet to climb up the stairs to Sunset to have a smoke.

24627606081_35a79fe182_b.jpg

24603321382_c691b3691c_b.jpg

This is why I like to be up early on a cruise.

Sorry for the shaky focus but it was very windy at the top of the stairs. In the previous photo I had to lean back against a wall. I have a note from my mother that will explain everything..

Norris

After scolding myself for a minute and flailing myself with one of those bushes from the big red plant pots I agreed to take photos in focus for the rest of the morning at least.

24094275493_cbd733f24f_b.jpg

24721112295_db068ef275_b.jpg

I went forward to make sure the mast was still there. It was.

24694901006_e3a082d14b_b.jpg

There was a room up here that the signing suggested was part of the Kid's zone but it was filled with Park West art and a couple of guys rummaging through it looking for some tiger head paintings for American living rooms.

24721115355_dfa68faa4b_b.jpg

24094282363_361339128e_b.jpg

24092952994_458d635c49_b.jpg

24353464989_476c51ff42_b.jpg

Heading back down to deck 14

24094297633_0059348f63_b.jpg

Walkers are now on the deck

24694927216_b90681cbc6_b.jpg

Nothing to see here-return to your homes...

24627640721_0b1a27418f_b.jpg

While I was sitting at the Mast Bar I met a fine man from Colorado Springs called Lyle. I would bump into him nearly every day after and enjoy his company. I'll put up a photo at the end of the cruise. He wasn't familiar with CC but there's a chance he is now after my Lecture. Maybe he'll stop in and say hello?

A man walked past and said Hello to us as we puffed. Just one word was all my ear needed to identify him as being from Northern Ireland. I have a good ear for accents (the left one). He passed me again a few minutes later and I stopped to chat with him. We spoke the same language. His name was Ronald, from Guelph, Ontario and he too now knows about CC and I hope he pops in too. He was on a B2B and had the noisy cabin above the deck 5 kitchens.

Norris

The sun was up over the yardarm now and it was time for me to go get ready for breakfast. We decided to try BLU today. I passed through the Porch which is a pretty spot for lunch and dinner but seems never to have more than 2 diners at a time.

24425612370_140854bbe6_b.jpg

We were warmly greeted in Blu and led to a table near a window. The windows are huge and have a nice sea view.

24353483989_6365cf931a_b.jpg

It's a big menu and there are so many good things to eat and drink. It's busier and louder than Luminae though.

24425620480_e5e9ecab39_b.jpg

Drinks were procured from various people who came by our table. Tap water, double cappuccinos, orange juice and a smoothie called Mango Madness-and it lives up to it's name!

24353492689_5e00e865f5_b.jpg

A pastry and bread man came by. Croissants were chosen. Then our actual food waiter came by-a tall lady from South Africa who would stare out the window while talking to us. No banter with this one. But we needed victuals not chat this early in the morning (it closes at 9)

My Celebrity granola parfait

24425625400_298835f080_b.jpg

My scrambled eggs and grilled ham

24694948636_2680b4cc46_b.jpg

More....

and Carol's Blueberry pancakes

24425630670_8c30b30389_b.jpg

Nice lighting on the ceiling

24627661881_2db47259a8_b.jpg

I had found the quiet Solstice deck yesterday and told Carol about it so she spent some time in the sun, reading there, although her buzz was harshened by a guy nearby who was talking, talking, talking even though his girlfriend was tuning him out which is what I'd advise the rest of the World to do too. I had visited her up there before her swim in the Solarium which she loved, although it was busy and noisy at the time. Her plan today was to find quiet and repeat. She wound up sitting in front of the basketball court overlooking the bow.

Where are we?

24353503699_84eba7702f_b.jpg

Carol is having second thoughts about the Segway tour in San Juan. I tell her I have to go as it was the main reason for my buying a GoPro and leave her to consider.

Time to visit Sunset and begin my morning relaxation....

Norris

OK, I have arrived fashionably late for the party. Well late anyway, because I don't think anyone could call me fashionable. I have caught up thanks to many cups of coffee and am ready to buckle in for the rest of a wonderful review.

This will help pass the time while waiting for my next cruise in just under 3 weeks. May have to re-read your Ruby Princess review as I'll be on the same itinerary on the Emerald.

OK, I have arrived fashionably late for the party. Well late anyway, because I don't think anyone could call me fashionable. I have caught up thanks to many cups of coffee and am ready to buckle in for the rest of a wonderful review.

This will help pass the time while waiting for my next cruise in just under 3 weeks. May have to re-read your Ruby Princess review as I'll be on the same itinerary on the Emerald.

Better late than never!

Yes the Ruby and the Emerald are the same layout and you'll get to see Princess Cays where I slammed the onshore BBQ in my review.

Glad you found me here.

Free Cyber bar, don't forget and we don't measure our pours here.

Norris

Sunset bar, refreshing glass of O'Doul's NA beer. Sarah (English) from the cruise staff is hosting the Bocce today. She's a bundle of loud energy and needs no PA system. She's all about fun.

24603385902_e58a25a2db_b.jpg

24353508759_5f77a4bcf7_b.jpg

24627670851_54650af7c8_b.jpg

The ship sails onward. Soon the Captain will make an announcement to tell us we will arrive in San Juan two hours early. Hooray!!

24093004234_3533a4a3ed_b.jpg

Later the Cruise Director, Paul comes on the PA to announce changes to some excursion schedules being advanced. Ours is not one of them which is fine by me as I am planning a buffet lunch and some camera charging time.

Next up-entering San Juan harbor

Norris

Hi Norris,

I will be sailing this same itinerary on February 28. I've sailed the Silhouette before and love this ship. It is so much fun to get a preview of our upcoming cruise and see some of the changes in the entertainment from our last cruise. I'm looking forward to the Beatles Tribute. Thanks for taking the time to share.

My main cruise line of choice is Celebrity but I also love Princess. There are differences but each has their strong points and very few weak points.

Terry

Norris,

I am on page 10, so don't know if you have figured it out yet.

To quote more than one post at a time...Click on the " button (the one in the middle) until you have all but one of the posts that you want to quote. For the final post click on the "quote" button (the one on the left).

JF- thanks for the answer!

Norris

Hi Norris,

I will be sailing this same itinerary on February 28. I've sailed the Silhouette before and love this ship. It is so much fun to get a preview of our upcoming cruise and see some of the changes in the entertainment from our last cruise. I'm looking forward to the Beatles Tribute. Thanks for taking the time to share.

My main cruise line of choice is Celebrity but I also love Princess. There are differences but each has their strong points and very few weak points.

Terry

Terry- I couldn't agree more with your summation.

Thanks for the response!

I feel I now have 10 more ships and itineraries to choose from. That's a plus!

Norris

Hello! I just stumbled on to your post and since I LOVED the Silhouette when DH and I went on her, I wanted to see what you thought about it since you often went on Princess. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip! I love your writing style and your jokes!!

I wanted to ask you a couple of things:

1. On an aft cabin, do you feel motor vibration? Are there any cons to an aft cabin? Is there a lot of soot?

2. In Alaska, what tours other than whale watching should we do? (Already plan on doing Harv & Marv in Juneau and Glcier wind charters for that). We were thinking of float plane or something like that. Did you book your Island Wings by contacting them or through Princess?

3. In your opinion, do the tours get booked up prior to boarding when you go to Alaska? We were thinking of waiting until we boarded on the first day. Your thoughts?

Hello! I just stumbled on to your post and since I LOVED the Silhouette when DH and I went on her, I wanted to see what you thought about it since you often went on Princess. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip! I love your writing style and your jokes!!

I wanted to ask you a couple of things:

1. On an aft cabin, do you feel motor vibration? Are there any cons to an aft cabin? Is there a lot of soot?

2. In Alaska, what tours other than whale watching should we do? (Already plan on doing Harv & Marv in Juneau and Glcier wind charters for that). We were thinking of float plane or something like that. Did you book your Island Wings by contacting them or through Princess?

3. In your opinion, do the tours get booked up prior to boarding when you go to Alaska? We were thinking of waiting until we boarded on the first day. Your thoughts?

Good questions and welcome aboard!

RE engine/Azipod vibration- Only when the ship is doing a docking maneuver is there vibration. If you look at my sail away videos there is no shake or shimmer to the picture and both cameras were on tripods attached to parts of the ship.

The soot that accumulated daily would have covered the lower half of a thimble if collected- insignificant and I only noticed it on one day.

The con to an aft cabin is the long walks to get anywhere.

There will be a sound like a gigantic washing machine on the balcony when the ship is doing 20+ knots. Close the door and it is gone. Very little wind on an S Class aft, none on Princess Grand Class as the aft is vertical.

Alaska- don't wait until you are there. I like to choose excursions while sitting at home with a glass of beer and a cat to pet. That beats standing at an excursion desk in line only to find it is sold out. Excursion desks usually only open for a couple of hours in the morning with 3 or 4 staff and a lot of customers some who don't know what they want or are lonely and just want to talk to someone. Book at home is best for me.

We used Island Wings and Harv n Marv by writing them directly. We did the same with Era Helicopters in Juneau. All other AK excursions were booked with Princess.

If you check my 2 Alaska reviews you will see the range of things available and they are just the tip of an ice berg-some involve a sea plane ride and landing at a lodge in a lake to eat fresh salmon. That doesn't sound too shabby.

E.g We landed on Taku Glacier in a helicopter

Saw whales from a boat holding just 7 people (2 Harv n Marv trips)

Got close to bears in the rainforest woods

Saw eagles from a fast riverboat

Kayaked in the Yukon

Rode a train down a scenic mountain

Flew over Misty Fjords with Michelle.

These are all in photo and video in my reviews.

Hope this helps.

Norris

The Cognac flambe warm water Lobster with mashed potato

24064427673_3bf1920319_b.jpg

Carol's Dover Sole Veronique with mashed potato

24665056746_de6e6ebc19_b.jpg

The ridiculously tasty, greatest dessert ever

24665059566_5ef103f723_b.jpg

Carol had a small cheese plate from a cheese cart with amazing varieties. I love cheese to death but I was at bursting point by now. Then the chocolates came to finish the meal but we couldn't eat them so they wrapped them up for us.

24063097354_ac00b4fb9e_b.jpg

We had a great evening in Murano and will visit it again whichever X ship we are on.

As we were in a Suite tonight's meal was comped. From here on we would pay for the Specialty Restaurants.

Norris

My dinner tonight pales so far compared to this that it is absolutely ashen in colour. I' just imagining the tastes that both of you experienced.

Judy

Quick question...you said you ate breakfast in Blu? Does that mean suite guests have breakfast access to Blu and do you have to book in advance?

We're doing a suite for the first time and I knew I would miss Blu's breakfast, especially the Meuslix.

I didn't realize we could go to Blu!

Also, I am enjoying your review.