Book with an agent or Carnival directly?

gonersgirl

We use a travel agent, but did not just pick some random one off the internet, rather, we got a recommendation from friends whom we know and trust. Our TA has been great for us. She checks regularly for price drops, always gives us perks of some kind (on board credits, pays for specialty dining etc.)and most importantly goes to bat for us when there is a problem which is rare.

Use a Carnival PVP. We used a TA for several cruises and I didn't feel like anything they did was anything more than I could have done myself, and didn't like having to go through them for everything. PVPs are Carnival employees but you have one assigned to you so you have a specific person to call with problems or questions.

Prepare yourself for a variety of answers all with great and legitimate reasons for choosing a certain method whether it be directly on line, phone in to a service rep, a (commission paid) Carnival sales rep, various online booking agencies, or a reputable local travel agent.

Choices will also vary due to the bookers' computer savy, the amount of time they have to chase down and assimilate information, who and how many are traveling, and how hand's on someone wants to be and how much individual control they want.

I can only give you "our" choice...which is a local TA who we have been doing business with for umpteen years. We make the initial call, discuss what we want, who is traveling with us, how we want to get to the port, shore activities we are interested in, type of cabins, choice of dining and seating. She does all the rest....we have never been disappointed, never had a gliche, everyone got the room they wanted, we have all sat together at late dining, had some great non-Carnival excursions. She monitors our bookings, hand delivers our documents, lets us know exactly what we need for paperwork, etc. I would never book what I expect to be a relaxing vacation any other way. How can a vacation be relaxing when someone drives themselves into a frazzle just trying to "book it" and "plan it".

Used a travel agent for every cruise until my last three. I figured out there wasn't anything they were doing that I couldn't do myself, and the days of special perks were pretty much gone. Now I book on Carnival's site and I find it simplifies things, and gives me greater control.

I'm another one for PVP for all the stated reasons above as well as more listed here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2304209

I am "hands on" and I know what I want after I do my research and pick it out. I enjoy the cruise-choosing process (well, I did before Carnival changed their cruise search layout:mad:). I call my PVP with my particulars - sailing, cabin number, dining assignment, and which "sale" price I'm booking under, etc. He makes it happen. Easy-peasy.:)

Even if I wasn't a control freak about all my vacation booking details, a call to my PVP would surely get me booked on an enjoyable cruise. But we all have our preferred ways of doing things. And handing my control over to a TA or a PVP or anyone else is not an acceptable way for me.

We cruised last 10 years ago and booked with a travel agent. We're planning a cruise for December 2016 with our children and I'm wondering what thoughts are on the best/easiest way to book?

Thanks!

If you book through a travel agent, you have someone outside of the cruise line who will fight for you when something goes wrong. Instead of calling the cruise line and getting put on hold for an hour or being told a supervisor will call you in a couple days, you have someone that will work on it for you. When you have an important question and you come on Cruise Critic and get 97 different answers, you can call your travel agent and get the real answer.

It doesn't cost you anything to book with a travel agent. A lot of times a travel agent will answer questions before you can even think to ask them. There aren't very many situations where you get the help and support of an expert for free.

Basically, booking through a travel agent gives you someone reliable to give you advice, answer questions, and make sure everything goes smoothly so you can have a great cruise.

I prefer to book directly with Carnival through the website myself. This way, I have full control of my booking. Not sure if you do with a PVP, but I know you don't with a TA. My cruise last fall was booked with a TA because it was a group (themed) cruise, as is my cruise next November.

But I like having my own bookings instead. Before I book, I throughly research, ports, ships and especially rooms. And I book early enough that I can get the exact room I want. I don't like not being able to contact Carnival myself about my booking. If I want to make a small change, I like to be able to do it myself. No offense to TA's, of course. I just don't like having a middle man.

I prefer to book directly with Carnival through the website myself. This way, I have full control of my booking. Not sure if you do with a PVP, but I know you don't with a TA. My cruise last fall was booked with a TA because it was a group (themed) cruise, as is my cruise next November.

But I like having my own bookings instead. Before I book, I throughly research, ports, ships and especially rooms. And I book early enough that I can get the exact room I want. I don't like not being able to contact Carnival myself about my booking. If I want to make a small change, I like to be able to do it myself. No offense to TA's, of course. I just don't like having a middle man.

With a PVP you get to keep complete control over your booking and can make changes, yourself, online, if you wish.:)

The responses are interesting to me.

Even though we don't cruise as often as most we have been lucky enough to travel the world over a couple times now. Never once have we used a travel agent. I do the planning and booking online. Usually with online travel sites. Never once have we missed as much as a train or plane connection and never have we had an issue at a hotel with our reservations. Not once. I do believe in a former life, I was a travel agent. lol I love to do the planning and I book everything down to the exact nano second. I know where we'll be when we'll be there and who I'll be speaking with when we get there. Doesn't matter if it's across the street or 15 or 20 thousand miles away. I'm in charge.

We cruised last 10 years ago and booked with a travel agent. We're planning a cruise for December 2016 with our children and I'm wondering what thoughts are on the best/easiest way to book?

Thanks!

We've used both, but for the last 5 years or so, we've used the same Carnival PVP. If I see a cruise we may be interested in, I contact the PVP, sometimes she is able to get a better price than the quoted price, she has our pertinent info and always gets back to me via email or phone within 15 minutes.

I generally prefer booking myself direct with carnival but I just used a ta today because the trio is in 32 days. If you're booking in a price protection rate then go with carnival.

I got the same rate my PvP was offering plus $250 obc I couldn't find elsewhere.

I used to use a PVP but I have a good TA now. Does rive drops for me and is always there to help. Every booking she hooks me up with OBC and a free dinner at a specialty place.

She went so far as to call from HER cruise while she was in St. Thomas to get me upgraded to a balcony for o additional charge. Upgraded from Inside to Balcony on NCL Getaway, while she was on vacation.

My last CCL cruise she was same rate as Carnvial but offered OBC an kept an eye on price drops.

A good TA is worth it.

We have been on six cruises and always used the same travel agent. She never gave any perks or OBC. even when she knew we were celebrating a big anniversary or birthday. She always was slow to return calls and never had the time to get the OBC when the prices dropped. In a small town she was the only one and so not much choice. Most of all I always LOVE doing all the research and planning so she really didn't have to "work " much for me. This year after repeat calls that I was ready to book she didn't return my calls. A carnival rep happen to call and I booked. She has been so much more helpful and answers all my questions. I like I can call her and and shes available on the spot. I guess it depends on the TA but it was time for a change for us.

Same with a TA in my experience.

So, if you're booked through your TA, you can still speak and deal with Carnival directly, yourself? And make all changes / requests? You don't have to have your TA talk to Carnival for you? I was under the impression once you're booked with a TA, the cruise line will only deal with the TA regarding your booking. Am I misunderstanding how it works?:confused: I've never used a TA.

I book myself then transfer within 90 days to my TA. I only do that because she gives us an OBC equal to about 8 to 10% of our cruise price. If you are using a TA and not getting some OBC, you should shop around for a better deal.

I do the same. I research and book and before final payment I transfer to a friend who is a TA. He usually gets us better location, a little but more in OBC (we book super cheap deals anyway.) I also like the insurance he sells and it's cheaper and better than the cruise line. He usually sends us a gift to our stateroom too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

So, if you're booked through your TA, you can still speak and deal with Carnival directly, yourself? And make all changes / requests? You don't have to have your TA talk to Carnival for you? I was under the impression once you're booked with a TA, the cruise line will only deal with the TA regarding your booking. Am I misunderstanding how it works? I've never used a TA.

You are more or less correct.

If I need to cancel my booking, change cabins or make a payment I have to go directly through my TA. I can deal direct with Carnival for add-ons like booking excursions, specialty dining reservations, pre-purchasing bev packages etc.