Avianca Airlines - anyone have experience with them?

AmberCascades

We are looking for flights to Quito and the usual carriers don't either don't have good times or there are lots of stops and long waits for connections.

Avianca Airlines has the best times for us, but we haven't been able to find many reviews. What I've found on CC hasn't been terrible, but it's more been mentioned in passing. The ones online have been mixed but there haven't been a lot compared to how many people must use this airline.

Has anyone used this airline and, if so, would you recommend it?

Thanks.

Curious.....in my minimal checking, it looks like the Avianca flights are actually operated by TACA.

As for your comments about "times", be aware that at many airports around the world, flights regularly arrive/depart in the middle of the night. Works for operational and connection reasons. Expecting departures and arrivals to be 9 to 5 is unrealistic.

Have you looked at flying on United/Air Canada through Houston? I see quite good pricing for departures around 13:30, getting into UIO around 23:00. Connect time is about 1:20 at IAH -- short but doable.

Curious.....in my minimal checking, it looks like the Avianca flights are actually operated by TACA.

As for your comments about "times", be aware that at many airports around the world, flights regularly arrive/depart in the middle of the night. Works for operational and connection reasons. Expecting departures and arrivals to be 9 to 5 is unrealistic.

Have you looked at flying on United/Air Canada through Houston? I see quite good pricing for departures around 13:30, getting into UIO around 23:00. Connect time is about 1:20 at IAH -- short but doable.

TACA and Avianca merged.

So much for "Take A Chance Airlines". Don't keep up much with Central/South American carriers. Thanks for the info - are they still under separate operating certificates?

That I don't know. I did fly TACA a couple times from Houston to Roatan for scuba diving and they were ok. Almost took Avainaca to Colombia once but AA ended up being a bit cheaper and better flight times.