Viking Kadlin July 8th Paris to Normandy

Edgemere

• 1 month later...

Hello,

allow me to jump in here and recommend the threads about Viking and Le Pecq - it all started with the Rinda - to you.

You can look up Le Pecq on wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Pecq and on google maps, of course.

I am afraid you will miss a loop of the Seine compared to the itineraries on the older ships.

Le Pecq at least does not appear to be an industrial place. I hope somebody will post some pictures and their experience with transport in one of the other threads.

But I am sure you will have a great time.

notamermaid

• 1 month later...

[

I am afraid you will miss a loop of the Seine compared to the itineraries on the older ships.

It does appear that we will see those loops on the way back. Does that sound correct to you? I am a total rookie.

Hello villagirl,

these loops are between Paris city centre and Le Pecq. You do not see them in a car journey or on a train as you cut across them. On the way back, i.e. going upstream you first arrive in Le Pecq. If the boat sails on to drop you of in Paris you will see the loops. If the boat again stops in Le Pecq (meaning you disembark there) and does not sail further you will not see the loops. Since my previous post I have looked at the journey again and it is in fact three loops, I reckon about 57 kms. The Seine likes meandering. :)

By the way, I do not know if the scenery is great on that stretch, but not sailing out of Paris (and back into) I would find quite diappointing. Sailing out of Budapest was so great, I loved it. Although it was not my embarkation port. I find it makes a difference whether you leave a town from a place outside a city centre or not.

Have you had a look at the comments in the roll call section? Perhaps there is some info on this.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Additional information

ok, so Le Peq is NORTH of Paris on the way to Normandy. Duh, that makes more sense. Really wish I had gone with another cruise line. Can't believe they booked us knowing full well we were not berthed in Paris. :mad:

Moving forward I expect "l'affaire LePecq" is going to cost Viking bookings. I know it's making us look to other cruise lines.........

ok, so Le Peq is NORTH of Paris on the way to Normandy. Duh, that makes more sense. Really wish I had gone with another cruise line. Can't believe they booked us knowing full well we were not berthed in Paris. :mad:

We cruised on Viking twice last year and the corporate response to "l'affaire LePecq" has cost Viking our business. We have booked our next river cruise on Emerald.

Hello villagirl

Have you had a look at the comments in the roll call section? Perhaps there is some info on this.

I am having trouble finding any roll calls at all for the Kadlin 2016 cruises.I keep searching.

Can you ponder this for me: On Day One, we fly into CDG arrving at 9 am. We bought the included transfer, so I guess we will arrive into glorious Le Pecq at around noon. Cabins are not available until 3. Soooo..what do we do with ourselves? How long will check in take? I don't want to be stuck in dreary Le Pecq for the night, but if we turn around & go back to Paris it will take us 45 mins to an hour each way. Obviously, we were supposed to step off and wander about Paris, but that ain't happening now. Thoughts? I don't want to waste the whole first day in vans and napping.

:confused:

There will be a guided walk of the LePecq area. Previous Viking cruises on the Danube and Rhine have offered these at 1 & 3 pm. If you arrive at 12 and have lunch on the Kadlin, you can do that tour, unpack and rest.

But since you have your transfer, why not arrange to just send your luggage ahead, and then go into Paris for the day? Taxi, RER, and the express buses are all easy to do. You could then catch the 5pm shuttle back to the Kadlin.

There will be a guided walk of the LePecq area. Previous Viking cruises on the Danube and Rhine have offered these at 1 & 3 pm. If you arrive at 12 and have lunch on the Kadlin, you can do that tour, unpack and rest.

But since you have your transfer, why not arrange to just send your luggage ahead, and then go into Paris for the day? Taxi, RER, and the express buses are all easy to do. You could then catch the 5pm shuttle back to the Kadlin.

I called Cust Svc and asked if we could end our luggage ahead and was told no. Is CS wrong AGAIN? If we can do that, it solves all our woes. I will email the ship

CanCoup I am glad you voted with your wallet. The only language understood. I feel like a real dope for booking with these clowns. Grrrrr:mad:

I'm not going to join the "dump on Viking" club--they have itineraries on other rivers that do interest us. But for the Seine---NO WAY. How can you compare docking in the suburbs to docking right in Paris?????????

They maintain smaller ships with shallower drafts for the unique conditions of the Elbe---what's wrong with keeping the smaller ships (Viking Spirit, for example) that ARE able to dock right in Paris proper at Quai de Grenelle? I know, the answer is "greed".

They maintain smaller ships with shallower drafts for the unique conditions of the Elbe---what's wrong with keeping the smaller ships (Viking Spirit, for example) that ARE able to dock right in Paris proper at Quai de Grenelle? I know, the answer is "greed".

It is shameful that they keep booking passengers knowing full well that they dock in the suburbs. With a big Eiffel Tower on their website.

One thing to consider in this is the fact that the older ships were "taken over" from KD together in a bundle, the Viking Spirit is a later addition but still built in the "tradition" of the previous ships and is registered in Oberwesel, Germany, as opposed to the longships that are registered in Basel, Switzerland.

The longships are more modern - which, with all due respect, is what people want, more fuel-efficient and environmentally-friendly. Business-wise it makes sense to have larger ships on the rivers. And the strategy on the Seine would have worked as well as on the Rhine and the Danube if the authorities in France had played along. For me it is more a case of wanting to be mega... rather than very good. Call it greed if you want, I shall not, but am nevertheless always sceptical of companies that are in the Guiness Book of Records...

As regards the Eiffel Tower, well, I would find it odd if they did not have the national icons on the glossy pages. They could, of course, add a photo of Le Pecq for good measure. ;)

http://www.france-voyage.com/cities-towns/le-pecq-31443.htm

I reiterate, but do not mind doing so: I prefer ship designs with the traditional hull. And: on the Seine I would only travel with a company that sails into Honfleur.

Sorry to hear about your new "hiccup" villagirl. As has been mentioned before by past cruisers, the crew makes up for what the customer service does not to your satisfaction. I am sure your cruise will still be very enjoyable.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

Just for information: the Viking Spirit still sails the Seine, but has been repainted and renamed. She is now the Seine Comtesse and cruises for Nicko Cruises, based in Germany. She does not sail into Honfleur, the itinerary turns round at Caudebec-en-Caux. Honfleur is an included trip from that port.

notamermaid

I called Cust Svc and asked if we could end our luggage ahead and was told no. Is CS wrong AGAIN? If we can do that, it solves all our woes. I will email the ship

With all the inconvenience Le Pecq creates and the fact you will have a scheduled transfer from CDQ anyhow, it surprises me that Viking is so inflexible!

I think I would just chance meeting your greeter/driver and asking them directly in person. Tell them you will stay with your luggage (while awaiting any others to join the transfer), label each bag with stateroom #, and place in the van yourself rather than hand off that inconvenience and make it as easy for them as poss. You have nothing to lose asking, and I'd be surprised they say no. The actual cruise staff are all wonderful, very friendly and accommodating; I can't imagine them turning you down (esp if you offer a nice tip to ease the way- 10-20€?).

The pre-cruise makes a lot of sense now that Viking does not dock there any longer (perhaps that's what Viking is hoping for), but they really should begin using a Paris hotel for Day1, or perhaps just rent a conference room where anyone that wishes can drop off luggage, and meet back at 3-4 to bus to ship.

For myself, I always book flight a day early, and this time instead of going to the boat early, we arranged to tour some chateaux ending with drop off at LePecq on Day 1.

I'm not going to join the "dump on Viking" club--they have itineraries on other rivers that do interest us. But for the Seine---NO WAY. How can you compare docking in the suburbs to docking right in Paris?????????

If that is not dumping then I hate to see when you do.

Just for information: the Viking Spirit still sails the Seine, but has been repainted and renamed. She is now the Seine Comtesse and cruises for Nicko Cruises, based in Germany. She does not sail into Honfleur, the itinerary turns round at Caudebec-en-Caux. Honfleur is an included trip from that port.

notamermaid

ITA about docking right in Honfleur, particularly over night. That is special. Drinks by the harbor!

If that is not dumping then I hate to see when you do.

Squigmond--believe me, if you read these boards regularly, you know that there are some here that wouldn't look at Viking if their life depended on it. I am saying that their Rhine and Danube itineraries look perfectly fine. I just really have an issue with this not-in-Paris fiasco that leads me away from Viking for Paris. I believe every other cruise line docks in Paris proper, yes?

Not liking ONE itinerary from a cruise line certainly is NOT dumping on them. Others here belong to the "Not Viking now, not Viking ever!" club.

Squigmond--believe me, if you read these boards regularly, you know that there are some here that wouldn't look at Viking if their life depended on it. I am saying that their Rhine and Danube itineraries look perfectly fine. I just really have an issue with this not-in-Paris fiasco that leads me away from Viking for Paris. I believe every other cruise line docks in Paris proper, yes?

Not liking ONE itinerary from a cruise line certainly is NOT dumping on them. Others here belong to the "Not Viking now, not Viking ever!" club.

I was referring to the "greed" comment. I do agree entirely about the Viking detractors. You are right some of the posters wake up looking for ways to pile on without ever sailing on any Viking vessel. It is as if putting down Viking somehow lifts their preference up. Live and let live.

I was referring to the "greed" comment. I do agree entirely about the Viking detractors. You are right some of the posters wake up looking for ways to pile on without ever sailing on any Viking vessel. It is as if putting down Viking somehow lifts their preference up. Live and let live.

I hear ya Squigmond. Maybe greed was too strong a word, but a quest for more profit may lead to a less desirable product. 180 paying passengers per ship is more profitable than 150, but what if the larger ship cannot go places that the smaller ship can?