Jewel AFT SF Suite - Noise and Weather questions

Robbinsa87

Hello!

I am new to cruising, and have booked a Aft Penthouse Suite (non-haven) on the Jewel for Nov. 2016.

I am now obsessively pouring over threads to prepare myself as well as I can for what to expect, and how to not look like an obvious rookie cruiser when it's time for our trip =)

In light of that, can anyone advise if we will be subjected to any above average noise or vibrations in our cabin, particularly when the ship is docking. I have read this is an issue in Aft cabins other ships and just want to know what I should expect.

**As a side note, anyone who has cruised this itinerary on the Jewel in November, can you comment on the weather and sea conditions? Or suggest me to a thread that has that info. NO luck in finding what I'm looking for.

Thanks again!!!

Ashley

My wife and I stayed in the corner suite a couple years ago. It was awesome!

The views are incredible. Watching the wake, I could feel the cares and worries fade.

Since its at the very back you don't get much traffic. I don't recall hearing the engines at all, not even during docking. It is a bit of a walk to the elevators, sometimes it is easier to walk the corridor to the farthest elevators when going to the front as there tends to be a lot of people on the main deck. The carpet fish swim towards the front of the ship, this helps when the night get too festive.

We left New Orleans in early November so the weather was warm during the day and brisk(light jacket) at night. Expect some occasional rain but it usually quick. If you leave cloths out to dry be sure that they are near the door as they wash "The Great Outdoors" early in the morning. Some have complained of soot after leaving cloths out but I saw none.

Take full advantage of the suite perks. Use the Cagney's for breakfast, go to the meet & greet, take the quick tender access.

As for the ports. We did dolphin training at Dolphinaries in Cozumel, and Cave tubing with Cavetubing.bz in Belize. I suggest finding an excursion in Rotan as there wasn't much to do in the port.

I know you will have a great time.

We have been in the Aft Penthouse suites on NCL Jade & Sun....deck 9 on the Jade - not too much noise, just great views and sounds of the ocean. Deck 8 on the Sun - lot's of noise and shaking (like an earthquake) when docking or slowing down. We always knew when were coming into port in the mornings!

BUT you are on a cruise, in a beautiful suite, great views ...so can't really complain about the noise... RELAX & ENJOY!:)

Have stayed in 10166 and 10164 on Pearl and Jewel. Our absolute favorite locations for a suite!! Quiet, very little traffic and the wake is mesmerizing especially at night when the moonlight on the wake looks like silver. Have your butler deliver breakfast to your suite, it's very special to sit in your suite and enjoy eggs Benny wearing your jammies.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We stayed in 10666 on the Gem on a different itinerary, but we loved it! No noise other than the sea...we did get some ashes and napkins from above and the deck got a little damp overnight, but nothing that would ruin balcony use at all. Enjoy the tub!!!

I guess I'm going to have to be the guy who disagrees about noise.

My experience with stern staterooms (facing aft) is that the prop wash is a constant loud roar when the ship is underway. I've found this especially true on the Mexican Riviera run where the ship is cruising at 20-22 knots most of the cruise. I've been on the same jewel class ship at 14-15 knots and the difference in the roar of rushing water is noticeable. Jinglette loved the noise, me....not so much. I agree the views from these staterooms are outstanding!

We will be in 10164 on the Jade and we can't wait. We tried our first aft wrap suite on the Star and became hooked. On the Star we stayed in 9732 and loved it. You can say we are hooked now! :D No noise, no soot, no worries even on deck 9. We took pictures running from the wrap side and back to the main balcony of the dolphins and whales on the way to Mexico. Enjoy your suite and the beautiful wake!

We are on Deck 10 in 10164 so hopefully we will avoid any excessive noise! Thank you for your help and kind words Labbro!

We were in this cabin in December. The people in the cabin next to us had their TV on 100% of the time and you could hear it very clearly in our stateroom. The TV in the other cabin is on the wall behind the head of the bed in 10164. That kept us awake each night until 2 or 3 am. There was no noise from above or below. On our cruise there was a very bad Pacific storm and the motion in the aft cabin was substantial on the last evening of the cruise. I never get seasick, but I was seasick on the last night of this cruise. There was a very heavy glass jar of bubble bath on the side of the tub that rattled off the edge of the tub and shattered in the tub. But as others have said, enjoy the suite amenities, they are wonderful.

I sailed in an aft suite on the Jewel years ago when she was new and in the mediterranean. It was the best location. I didn't think it was noisy. I just booked the Jewel again for Mexico and we are aft again, this time in a mini suite. Wish I could be back in the suite we had. Relax and enjoy your first cruise. You will get hooked and this will definitely be the beginning of many more cruises.

I sailed in an aft suite on the Jewel years ago when she was new and in the mediterranean. It was the best location. I didn't think it was noisy. I just booked the Jewel again for Mexico and we are aft again, this time in a mini suite. Wish I could be back in the suite we had. Relax and enjoy your first cruise. You will get hooked and this will definitely be the beginning of many more cruises.

Thanks Dorthy! When do you sail?

We've sailed in 10664 twice now. The only noise and vibration issues we experienced were during docking. Honestly though, we didn't find it at all annoying. Other than that, nothing at all. As for the weather, depends on where you're sailing. We sailed to the Caribbean last November and it was wonderful!

Edited by GrabMyWrist

We've sailed in 10664 twice now. The only noise and vibration issues we experienced were during docking. Honestly though, we didn't find it at all annoying. Other than that, nothing at all. As for the weather, depends on where you're sailing. We sailed to the Caribbean last November and it was wonderful!

Thanks!! We are sailing in November as well. 13-20! We have been to the Riviera Maya in August and it was a bit too hot so we are hoping for a little more bearable heat!! Thank you!

I guess I'm going to have to be the guy who disagrees about noise.

My experience with stern staterooms (facing aft) is that the prop wash is a constant loud roar when the ship is underway. I've found this especially true on the Mexican Riviera run where the ship is cruising at 20-22 knots most of the cruise. I've been on the same jewel class ship at 14-15 knots and the difference in the roar of rushing water is noticeable. Jinglette loved the noise, me....not so much. I agree the views from these staterooms are outstanding!

I also experienced this on the Pearl traveling from Ketchikan to Victoria and we were doing 24+ kts and one of the pods was slightly turned to fight the current. Otherwise the trip was smooth - we also did not do that much maneuvering with the pods - tugs in all ports. Loved the quietness of the cabin.

We did breakfast in suite during our glacier bay day - loved that we could listen to the narrative on the TV and sit on the balcony watching it all go by and eating breakfast :)

• 2 weeks later...

What's not to love about the aft on the Jewel? Spectacular views and little foot traffic, combined with the suite life, Cagney's for breakfast and lunch, 24-hour room service, and comfortable rooms made our very first cruise experience rather enjoyable. We were in 8130 and our friends were in 8132 for our Alaska trip. We noticed engine noise and some vibration, but only when we were docking in port. It was minimal and only when we were paying attention. Otherwise, (forgive the pun) it was smooth sailing. We rather enjoyed the suite life and the aft views so much that we are booked in an aft penthouse on the Escape this summer.

Have a fantastic time!

10th floor aft cabins are the best and largest. That's our favorite location! Never had,a problem - as stated sometimes napkins or sugar packages will get blown away from the great outdoors and land on balconies. No big deal and the cabin stewards are good at keeping it clean.

There is also in the morning the wonderful smell of baking bread! Great cabins.

Safe sailing

Hello!

I am new to cruising, and have booked a Aft Penthouse Suite (non-haven) on the Jewel for Nov. 2016.

I am now obsessively pouring over threads to prepare myself as well as I can for what to expect, and how to not look like an obvious rookie cruiser when it's time for our trip =)

In light of that, can anyone advise if we will be subjected to any above average noise or vibrations in our cabin, particularly when the ship is docking. I have read this is an issue in Aft cabins other ships and just want to know what I should expect.

**As a side note, anyone who has cruised this itinerary on the Jewel in November, can you comment on the weather and sea conditions? Or suggest me to a thread that has that info. NO luck in finding what I'm looking for.

Thanks again!!!

Ashley

I had a AFT cabin once. I didn't mind the noise of the ship or the vibrations.

What bothered me was the noise of the "water". It was really loud. But I guess it depends of the People. A lot love the AFT cabins.

The view is great !!!!