Help - Tour

cparkerkite

We want to book a private tour. I've been trying to get in touch with Henry Christopher with EEE Tours, but no success. We want to book with him or with Air Force 1 Tours. I was considering Godfreys, but they have not had good reviews lately, so they are off the list.

Can anyone give me recent reviews of EEE Tours or Air Force 1? We had an awful time in St. Thomas on our last cruise (ship sponsored tour) and want a private tour this time.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks much!

Carla

EEE Tours (no response yet) and I just put in a request for Air Force One. Any other suggestions? We want someone safe, knowledgeable and fun.

We did a ship sponsored tour the last time, it was awful. We were crammed in that open safari bus. We went to Magen's Bay Beach and so did all 6 cruise ships. We were there long enough for my husband to stand in line for 1 solid hour for a crappy slice of pizza and we had to leave. We only had 5 minutes at Drakes Seat, the truck had a blow out once it got back down the mountain (thank God not on the mountain), the driver was AWFUL and barked at us the whole time.

So, we really want to have a great, private tour, just for us with someone that gives a crap about the island and people and is not trying to just make a buck. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am having difficulty receiving a reply from the tour companies, too, cparkerkite. I have filled out two online forms, sent emails to six companies, and sent one message to a company via FB. So far, I have only heard from two of them, which did not really meet our needs.

We were initially looking for a private driver for 2 - 3 hours, although we are considering a tour, also. It will depend on the cost, times available, etc.

I am wondering ~ Has anyone ever just talked with a taxi driver, or similar, after arriving at Havensight to hire the driver for a few hours? Is this doable (if, we cannot find what we are looking for beforehand)? If yes, what kind of pricing should be expect? We are not a large group - just 3.

If you speak to the taxi dispatcher, you will be placed in a van or safari with others for a tour. If you walk outside of the gates of Havensight, you will run into independent taxi operators and may be able to negotiate a private tour. However, since they get paid per person, they will probably want to fill up their vehicle.

If you speak to the taxi dispatcher, you will be placed in a van or safari with others for a tour. If you walk outside of the gates of Havensight, you will run into independent taxi operators and may be able to negotiate a private tour. However, since they get paid per person, they will probably want to fill up their vehicle.

That is kind of what I was thinking would happen. We are interested in working with an independent; not the dispatcher. No success with any of my tour contacts yet (I did not start soon enough, and many are already booked).

We may just end up going to Blackbeard's Castle, if a tour/driver does not work out. Either way, I will share the info and our experience after our trip for anyone else interested.

You don't have to walk outside the gate. Ask where Gourmet Gallery is and there are taxis parked in the lot on that side. They will probably approach you, but if not, just go to the area and ask one of the drivers. Very easy.

• 3 weeks later...
I've never taken it, but, what about Sunny Liston Tours on St. Thomas? I read about them on TripAdvisor -

If you ever go to St. Maarten, try Bernard's Tours - he was great!

We have done Sunny Liston's in St Thomas as well as Bernard's in St Martin. both were good, sunny plays loud uplifting happy music. Bernard is SO nice but his van is enclosed and I felt closed in. Sunny's is open air and fun.

I will be there mid March and trying to decide what to do in St Thomas, our ship doesn't arrive until 12 noon, :( done Megans' bay and Coki beach. Looking for something different but easy! Thanks

Lisa from Jacksonville, FL

Each beach is different. Emerald Beach has fewer trees than Sapphire, so umbrellas are available there. It has more of a resort feel than Sapphire because of the hotels (2) and restaurants on the beach. It is not a snorkeling beach - more like Magens but some people think Emerald is prettier. It's not as long as Magens.

Each beach is different. Emerald Beach has fewer trees than Sapphire, so umbrellas are available there. It has more of a resort feel than Sapphire because of the hotels (2) and restaurants on the beach. It is not a snorkeling beach - more like Magens but some people think Emerald is prettier. It's not as long as Magens.

Thank you. So in your opinion, if you only had a few hours at the beach and wanted to do the sky tram, which beach would you choose? Sapphire or Emerald? Seems like Emerald would be cheaper to get to and back, plus quicker?

Thanks

It is quicker and cheaper to get to Emerald and the facilities are nicer. Plus the chair rentals are cheaper ($9 at Sapphire; between $5-$7 at Emerald).

If you are planning to return to St Thomas on another cruise, flip a coin and go with that decision. Come to the "losing" beach on your next visit.

But, if you don't think you'll be returning to St Thomas, go to Sapphire because it's the most hyped beach on this forum. Do a search and you'll see the hundreds of posts.