Amsterdam

jandj1224

Hello! This will be my first time sailing on Holland America. We usually sail on the larger newer ships. We will be doing Alaska in May with our young family and although I've searched was wondering if anyone can shed light on the following:

What is current condition of cabins? I'm trying to figure out when they were last updated including ocean view and Neptune suites? Were bathrooms also renovated or are those dated in these cabins? If anyone has pictures of current condition of these cabins would be really helpful.

Does anyone have any current pictures of the children's club area?

Does anyone use the pool on the Alaska sailings? They are heated correct?

If you have sailed 7 day Alaska itinerary from Seattle what are the different entertainment options offered? Are there any sports competitions?

Thanks!

Yes the pools are heated and in use on Alaska cruises unless the seas are too rough and they close the pools.

The mid-ship pool is open to children and has a movable roof, so good in all weather. Our grandkids loved it and were often more interested in swimming than other things, except maybe eating! They also did the Polar Bear plunge in the open-air aft pool in view of the glacier and got certificates which impressed them, and we got some great pictures! You can request child-sized bathrobes from your room steward if they don't bring them to you, they were great for the kids to wrap up in after they came out of the warm pool into the crisp air for the Polar Plunge.

Not sure what updating the bathrooms would mean... they're pretty basic. Not sure what category room you are in but most have a tub with shower (the insides have only showers). The showers in the spa are available too if you find your room bathroom too busy. There is a good hairdryer in the room vanity by the mirror. The tubs have dispensers for shampoo, conditioner and body wash; the sink has a bar of soap and a small bottle of lotion which is replenished as needed.

Have a great cruise, m--

Hello! This will be my first time sailing on Holland America. We usually sail on the larger newer ships. We will be doing Alaska in May with our young family and although I've searched was wondering if anyone can shed light on the following:

What is current condition of cabins? I'm trying to figure out when they were last updated including ocean view and Neptune suites? Were bathrooms also renovated or are those dated in these cabins? If anyone has pictures of current condition of these cabins would be really helpful.

Does anyone have any current pictures of the children's club area?

Does anyone use the pool on the Alaska sailings? They are heated correct?

If you have sailed 7 day Alaska itinerary from Seattle what are the different entertainment options offered? Are there any sports competitions?

Thanks!

Amsterdam underwent drydock less than a year ago, in May 2015, I believe. Amsterdam is the ship used for the Grand World Voyage, and there are at least two Cruise Critic threads detailing the 2016 cruise right now:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2295499

http://www.theinsidecabin.com/

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2292232

http://cruisingwithbillandmaryann.blogspot.com/

If you do an internet search for "HAL cruiser information", you will find a website that has lots of HAL facts and photos of various cabins.

The pools are heated, and the main central pool has a retractable roof, so you can swim comfortably in the pool even if the weather is inclement.

I will let others chime in with more info for you:)

Thank you for the quick responses! I know my girls love swimming so I'm sure they will enjoy on the cruise too!

I usually do a lot of research beforehand so I know what to expect. I'm having a hard time finding information on how rooms will look.

Basket ball and ping pong will be available. Look for the website I mentioned earlier. I am not at liberty to give you the exact name, but looking up "HAL cruiser information" should direct you to the right place. There are tons of cabin photos there. There is also information about Club HAL (the children's club area).

My sister and I did a 7-day Alaska on HAL's Westerdam last May. Here are the "On Location" guides with some highlights, to give you some idea of activities on board:

https://twocruisingsisters.wordpress.com/2015/05/10/on-location-guides/

I have cruised on HAL with my children, but that was quite a while ago, so I don't really have accurate, up-to-date information for you. There is a poster here, "1of4", whose children have used Club HAL recently, and they prefer HAL's children's program to Disney!

PS Also look up "Roger Jett Photography". He has tons of info, menus, children's programs, photos, etc on his website.

Edited by middle-aged mom
aaack can't spell or write.....

Basket ball and ping pong will be available. Look for the website I mentioned earlier. I am not at liberty to give you the exact name, but looking up "HAL cruiser information" should direct you to the right place. There are tons of cabin photos there. There is also information about Club HAL (the children's club area).

My sister and I did a 7-day Alaska on HAL's Westerdam last May. Here are the "On Location" guides with some highlights, to give you some idea of activities on board:

https://twocruisingsisters.wordpress.com/2015/05/10/on-location-guides/

I have cruised on HAL with my children, but that was quite a while ago, so I don't really have accurate, up-to-date information for you. There is a poster here, "1of4", whose children have used Club HAL recently, and they prefer HAL's children's program to Disney!

This is amazing! Thank you so much!

Alaska is port intensive. There will be much to see and do on land as well as glacier viewing. There will be other children on board in the summer. You may not see much of your children. The room stewards love seeing children on board . Reminds them of there families at home. Also there are DVD's available to use in your rooms.

The children's programs will have their own activities listings separately delivered to your rooms for the appropriate age groups for your children, that is, if they register with the Club HAL/teen programs. There weren't a lot of children on our cruise with our grandkids but that was good, it gave each more attention. Enjoy, m--

Recently on the Amsterdam for 43 days - South Pacific - the rooms look pretty much like all HAL cabins on similar ships - layout, decor and color combinations. We think they are very good, not trendy, yes a little dated in colors, but finishings are nice. So if you find photos of the Rotterdam, Zaandam or Volendam, you will have a good idea of what to expect.

Generous storage, sufficient closets and adequate bathrooms- usually a tub/shower, single sink vanity, good lighting, adequate installed hair dryer, commode, in a beige pink overall tile pattern, Trendy styling is not one of HAL signatures, nor are passengers paying for superficial decor.

Which is why one hears that it is "dated", but what is there is of good quality and has a certain retro elegance to it. We feel we have come home no matter what HAL ship we choose - an old country home feel to those of us who keep coming back. We had odor problems with our balcony and hope those have now been fixed. They worked very hard to get it right, but never made it for more than a day or so and had to come back and keep flushing out the drainage system. Nuisance but the rest of the cruise was up to good HAL expectations.

Edited by OlsSalt