Is Maho Beach Safe with Kids?

LuCruise

I was searching to see if I could find a schedule of the airplane times at Maho beach and came across this awful video. It shows the force of the jet streams and two people who got blown and landed smack into a concrete landing. It also looked like others got blown into the water from the force.

So now I'm wondering if it's even safe to go to see the airplanes land and take off...especially when coming with kids?

PS - I know it's not a good beach to swim in as it has a quick drop off.

I was searching to see if I could find a schedule of the airplane times at Maho beach and came across this awful video. It shows the force of the jet streams and two people who got blown and landed smack into a concrete landing. It also looked like others got blown into the water from the force.

So now I'm wondering if it's even safe to go to see the airplanes land and take off...especially when coming with kids?

PS - I know it's not a good beach to swim in as it has a quick drop off.

Just don't stand at the fence or directly behind those that do and you'll be fine. :)

You can easily avoid being directly behind the engines and their airflow. Just a note. While most of the folks on that beach (at least the 1 hour we were there) were fully dressed, there were a few folks laying around nude in the middle of everything going on at the beach. Just a heads up.

You can easily avoid being directly behind the engines and their airflow. Just a note. While most of the folks on that beach (at least the 1 hour we were there) were fully dressed, there were a few folks laying around nude in the middle of everything going on at the beach. Just a heads up.

I have never seen anyone nude on Maho Beach.

gary

I have seen nude folks at Orient, Happy and Cupecoy at both the cliffs and on the family friendly beach across from Puerto Cupecoy but NEVER at Maho. This is also the first I have heard of it. It's definitely an aberration.

Thanks for the responses. Yes, the video that I saw were people standing by the fence. The force was quite strong. And some also got blown into the water. If we go to Maho, will definitely hold my kids hands. Thanks too for the warning about the sand blowing.

We went and sat at driftwood bar with the kids (we had been to mullet bay for a beach day) and just went to watch the planes for a bit.

When the KLM was taking off I moved a bit closer to film/video but wasn't behind the juet blast, and I ended up with some bruising on my tummy from jet blast.

When a united airlines took off we kept the kids well away but so they could see. Some people had their kids right by the jet blast which I thought was unfair

Just don't stand at the fence or directly behind those that do and you'll be fine. :)

What this person said. It's a wide beach and the people you see getting blown into the water and smashing their faces on the pavement are the morons who elected to stand behind a jumbo jet taking off. I was there with a 3 year old last year and if you are anywhere but directly behind the runway you'll have a great time watching the planes come and go, its not like the jet engines blast the entire beach.

I have seen nude folks at Orient, Happy and Cupecoy at both the cliffs and on the family friendly beach across from Puerto Cupecoy but NEVER at Maho. This is also the first I have heard of it. It's definitely an aberration.

I don't know what to tell you. Do you live there? Do you spend enough time there to really know if it's an aberration? I was only there for an hour. I recall because there were two very beautiful girls laying out in the middle of everything. They looked like supermodels, and are not easy to forget. And off to one side was a male waiter from our ship nude on a blanket.

I don't know what to tell you. Do you live there? Do you spend enough time there to really know if it's an aberration? I was only there for an hour. I recall because there were two very beautiful girls laying out in the middle of everything. They looked like supermodels, and are not easy to forget. And off to one side was a male waiter from our ship nude on a blanket.

This was directed to karysa, but I'll respond. Here's my point.

I have spent 57 hotel and timeshare weeks on the island, as well as another 20+ days on cruise visits or pre/post cruise out of St. Maarten.

I have never seen nudity at Maho or Great Bay Beach. On Little Bay Beach, never at Divi, but yes down nearer to Belair Beach Hotel.

I don't distinctly remember about Friar's Bay Beach or le Galion, though Galion had an official sign stating it was clothing optional.

BTW, I have regularly seen topless showgirls from the nearby clubs, working on their tans, at Mullet Bay Beach.

gary

This was directed to karysa, but I'll respond. Here's my point.

I have spent 57 hotel and timeshare weeks on the island, as well as another 20+ days on cruise visits or pre/post cruise out of St. Maarten.

I have never seen nudity at Maho or Great Bay Beach. On Little Bay Beach, never at Divi, but yes down nearer to Belair Beach Hotel.

I don't distinctly remember about Friar's Bay Beach or le Galion, though Galion had an official sign stating it was clothing optional.

BTW, I have regularly seen topless showgirls from the nearby clubs, working on their tans, at Mullet Bay Beach.

gary

And I saw three in one hour at Maho. Go figure.

I don't believe it. May have happened but I don't believe it. Don't need to be told that I'm rude or .... Just my thoughts. Have a good one!

karysa,

You had it nailed at aberration.

noun: a departure from what is normal, usual, or expected, typically one that is unwelcome.

synonyms: anomaly, deviation, departure from the norm, divergence, abnormality, irregularity, variation, digression, freak, rogue, rarity, oddity, peculiarity, curiosity, quirk; mistake

Perhaps BIG_Steve is conflating 'nude' with 'topless'? Though that doesn't address the male waiter.

gary

karysa,

You had it nailed at aberration.

noun: a departure from what is normal, usual, or expected, typically one that is unwelcome.

synonyms: anomaly, deviation, departure from the norm, divergence, abnormality, irregularity, variation, digression, freak, rogue, rarity, oddity, peculiarity, curiosity, quirk; mistake

Perhaps BIG_Steve is conflating 'nude' with 'topless'? Though that doesn't address the male waiter.

gary

When I told DH about this he said "Ask him what he was drinking because I want the same thing the next time I go there!" :D The next thing was, " Perhaps it was at Orient." :)

Alrighty then. I'm a little sensitive to this thread. I hate it when someone implies you're (me) making stuff up because you experienced something they didn't.

You didn't.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Didn't mean anything bad by it... Just found it funny.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk