Non USA embarkation/disembarkation and money question

1of4

[quote name='kazu']Bolding is mine....
Really? The stewards are provided a list of those that have removed or reduced HSC as they must turn those tips in to the pool. I don't think you are giving the ship's credit for what I am sure they have down to a fine art.[/QUOTE]

[B] While that is true, it is not the same thing as was being discussed.

[/B]

[quote name='jtl513'][FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="3"]Would you work for a company that, after 5 or 10 years of your loyal service, pays you the same as the guy hired last week as your assistant? I wouldn't for very long, and I doubt they would either.
[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

How would you know what people were getting paid? I had no idea what any of my colleagues on my team made. The only thing I knew was that I was the highest paid on our team. I had no idea how everyone else fell below me. The only time salaries that are made public are in city or govt jobs ( in Calgary ).

[quote name='jtl513'][FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="3"]Would you work for a company that, after 5 or 10 years of your loyal service, pays you the same as the guy hired last week as your assistant? I wouldn't for very long, and I doubt they would either.
[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

I had to chuckle at your post, even though you make perfect sense.
The reason, was that I in fact did work for such a place for 35 years. I worked for the California State University, and new employees often made more than ones who had been there for years, such as myself - even though their qualifications were no better.
I am retired now, and happy to be away from all that insanity.

[quote name='cruz chic']How would you know what people were getting paid?[/QUOTE][FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="3"]Never said I did. I said I doubt that all room stewards and all dining stewards are being paid exactly the same with no regard to seniority or work assignments.[/SIZE][/FONT]
. Edited by jtl513

[quote name='Tom O.']I had to chuckle at your post, even though you make perfect sense.
The reason, was that I in fact did work for such a place for 35 years. I worked for the California State University, and new employees often made more than ones who had been there for years, such as myself - even though their qualifications were no better.
I am retired now, and happy to be away from all that insanity.[/QUOTE]

I think that happens many places especially if you work in private industry. Usually when you stick around many years with a company and if you start lower down (not saying you did) there is a tendency to be lower paid. At least this has been the case with the companies I've worked for.

[quote name='cruz chic']I think that happens many places especially if you work in private industry. Usually when you stick around many years with a company and if you start lower down (not saying you did) there is a tendency to be lower paid. At least this has been the case with the companies I've worked for.[/quote]

Which has what exactly to do with the topic of tipping in non-US funds?:confused:

We do not really care how the HSC funds are divided among the staff. It is not our concern.

We tip for excellent service. We expect good service. I cannot imagine what difference currency can make as long as it is worth something. We see absolutely zero benefit in tipping in USD, or Euros or whatever. So we usually tip in left over currency or the currency that we want to deplete.

Makes no difference where we happen to be. The recipients are on board for months visiting many countries. They are also exchanging currencies among themselves and to wire monies home.

I very much doubt that a case can be made for any accepted tipping currency. The only exception might be the US staffed ships that cruise Hawaii. Edited by iancal