The Do's and Don'ts on Embarkation Day

cafelovercanada

Yes. They'll have you put it on at the end.

interesting that Princess requires you to put on a life vest during the muster drill = Royal Carib and Norwegian did not earlier this year. They just demo'd how to put it on. This is our first Princess cruise.

interesting that Princess requires you to put on a life vest during the muster drill = Royal Carib and Norwegian did not earlier this year. They just demo'd how to put it on. This is our first Princess cruise.

Much better to get the real hands on experience. ;)

I do dress up a bit for embarkation - only time I really get to wear my Tiara! It's fun and makes people smile

The wonderful thing about cruising is that you can have your own experience - if you like music and people go to the sailaway party - if you prefer a quieter experience, watch sailaway from your balcony or whatever looks like a nice spot. For san francisco I recommend the highest deck you can get to

Buffet is fine on embarkation I have found that, not only can it be crowded but most of the people seem overwhelmed and seem to take longer to process what is going on. That's why I prefer the MDR (Check on the last page of your patter for the dining room serving lunch!) I have my lunch, I drink my Grolsch and I be happy :)

Enjoy your cruise - but be careful - it's addicting

Thanks for letting us CC members to indulge you with this excellent topic. As an adult, embarkation day is much more exciting than Christmas ever was as a kid. My two cents & my apologies for repeating what others may have said before me.

3) Dress UP, in a classy comfortably casual way - not down. The best way to describe it is to pretend that you're boarding the ship in Italy, lol. Remember that boarding a cruise ship is a grand occasion, dressing up sets the tone of pomp & circumstance ! You will stand out to your fellow passengers and make a great first impression to your crew. These days so many people dress on embarkation day as if they're just going to the corner store for tomorrow's breakfast milk. Don't fall into that trap.

!

Hear Hear . Someone after my own practice. In fact, try the dress up not down routine from the minute you leave your house until you arrive back home. You will find all sorts of doors being opened for you, taxis at the ready, porters glad to lend a hand and everyone along the way happy to see you and help you. All for the cost of a tiny bit of class in the way you dress.

I always travel in blazer with tie, well pressed slacks and highly polished shoes. Never have a problem with luggage, taxis, doormen, wait staff etc. And should there be any sort of problem, yours will be sorted out way before the individual with the baseball hat on backwards and their baggy pants.

That's a great idea. I am a little worried how I am going to keep track of the pictures I take ... I would like to remember the names of the various mountains and glaciers we see ... I see myself being challenged balancing my camera, binoculars and a pen and paper!

I think a lot of newer cameras and especially phone cameras have the ability to geo tag the pictures. You could look up some of the info when you get back. I took notes on my phone with lighthouse names and places on my my Canada/New England cruise and I still couldn't put it all together for my photo book when I got home. :rolleyes:

Just enjoy the view and don't worry about remembering the names.

I just fold a $100 bill in the shape of a pocket square like they wear in their suit pockets when boarding a ship in Italy. I stick it in the top front pocket of my bib overalls. The crew must be really impressed because they're always offering to help me.

You must be an NCL regular. Bib Overalls are the fashion statement on that line.

Our shuttle will get us to the ship a bit early - how early do they start serving food? Food is available in the buffet, International Cafe and Alfredo's (if your ship has one) as soon as you board. One MDR serves lunch from noon to 1:30.

How soon do they start doing room service??Never tried any earlier than breakfast on the first day, but it is probably available after sail away.

And random...is it true they don't do towel animals :confused:

No towel animals, although some have reported that the steward has made one for little kids. YMMV

I think you will really enjoy princess@sea; you will be able to view

your account up-to-the minute on your laptop.

There seems to be conflicting info online about this. Is princess@sea on every ship? Do I need to download something on my phone before the cruise? Besides your account, what else is free (if anything?)

There seems to be conflicting info online about this. Is princess@sea on every ship? Do I need to download something on my phone before the cruise? Besides your account, what else is free (if anything?)

Princess says available on all ships, except Ocean:

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/activities/princess-at-sea/

I have used it on Emerald, Coral, Island, Regal and Royal

I'm sure others have used it on many more...

Edited by pablo222