Pacific Coastal Questions

cmtmjj2009

We are planning a 7 day Pacific Coastal cruise on the Grand in late April. Any advise on the ports, especially excursions you can take without going through the cruise line is appreciated.

I also saw on another board that the Queen Mary in Long Beach allows Princess guests with a sail and sign card on board for free. I haven't seen confirmation on this anywhere else. Is this true? Does anyone have any personal experiences checking out the Queen during a Pacific Coastal cruise?

What is the best way to get from the port to downtown LA/Hollywood Blvd?

What is the best way to get a discount at the San Diego Zoo?

Which is the best Pacific stop to go to the beach?

Santa Barbara looks beautiful. Any must sees?

Ensenada? Anything in particular we should get a local shuttle or taxi to go and see?

Thanks in advance for any advise on any of the stops. We have been cruising since 95, but from NY and Florida. We are from NY, and have never been to California. We will be traveling with teens and a 7 year old.

We are planning a 7 day Pacific Coastal cruise on the Grand in late April. Any advise on the ports, especially excursions you can take without going through the cruise line is appreciated.

I also saw on another board that the Queen Mary in Long Beach allows Princess guests with a sail and sign card on board for free. I haven't seen confirmation on this anywhere else. Is this true? Does anyone have any personal experiences checking out the Queen during a Pacific Coastal cruise? I've never sailed in-transit in LB & only have embarked from the Port of LA in San Pedro. The excellent Aquarium of the Pacific is about a mile from the Carnival cruise terminal where Princess apparently docks when in-transit.

What is the best way to get from the port to downtown LA/Hollywood Blvd? The only best way that I can think of is an independent tour group because while LA area public transportation has improved I still don't think it's a best option.

What is the best way to get a discount at the San Diego Zoo? I'd try searching online through sites such as Groupon or maybe other groups such as AAA or AARP.

Which is the best Pacific stop to go to the beach? Maybe Long Beach or Santa Barbara?

Santa Barbara looks beautiful. Any must sees? The Santa Barbara Mission is good but living not far from SB we have been there several times & usually walk about 15 minutes to wine tasting rooms or walk along State Street. There is also Stearns Wharf which has shops & restaurants. There is also a zoo that may interest your 7 year old but maybe not your teens. SB is a tender port & on about half of our cruises tendering was delayed by fog. The small Danish-style village of Solvang is maybe 30 minutes away & to me is mostly a tourist stop.

Ensenada? Anything in particular we should get a local shuttle or taxi to go and see? I've been to Ensenada enough times that it's now a "sea day" for us in port. The town is about a 15 minute walk to shops, restaurants & bars or a couple of dollars on a port shuttle. I'm sailing a CA Coastal from LA in April & on that roll call it's been said that those shuttles have connections to a much less expensive tour to the blowhole...Buffadora? We've also taken a ship's tour to a couple of wineries with tastings.

Thanks in advance for any advise on any of the stops. We have been cruising since 95, but from NY and Florida. We are from NY, and have never been to California. We will be traveling with teens and a 7 year old.

Welcome to Cruise Critic & if you're sailing the Grand from SF on 4/24 here's a link to the Roll Call where other passengers on your cruise discuss many aspects of your cruise including sometimes organizing less expensive, less crowded independent tours.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2218894

San Diego has the world famous zoo, Sea World and my first cruise ship the aircraft carrier USS Midway which is now a floating museum a short distance from the cruise ship terminal.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I also saw on another board that the Queen Mary in Long Beach allows Princess guests with a sail and sign card on board for free. I haven't seen confirmation on this anywhere else. Is this true? Does anyone have any personal experiences checking out the Queen during a Pacific Coastal cruise?

How does Astro Flyer always beat me to the posting? !

Do you have time to do so much in Long Beach? There is the Green Line from Long Beach to Hollywood. You will need to transfer to the Red Line. Very easy. Just don't wear a lot of bling.

Do you have a Triple AAA card for the zoo? Better to do the USS Midway. Buy your tickets on line. Avoid the long line for tickets. Just walk on board. Head straight for the tower. Then take the trolley from the Amtrak Station (possibly from Seaport Village???) to Old Town and spend the rest of your day just walking around.

Long Beach has a nice beach. You can catch a bus to that end of town. Santa Barbara's water will be cold. Heck...the Pacific Ocean on this side of the world is cold.

Take the 50 cent shuttle all the way up to the Santa Barbara Mission then walk at the mile or so back to the ship. It might be more than a mile if you stop and shop all the way down the hill. There's a small aquarium near the pier. Lots of art museums and other history.

Ensenada? Anything in particular we should get a local shuttle or taxi to go and see?

I recommend the 2 wine tour that Princess has to offer. Nice day ride out of the town. Lots of wine tasting, breads, and pizza. Free bottle of wine at the end of the tour.

Glad you are exposing the youngsters to cruising. They will have fun. I can see why you want to go to the San Diego Zoo (to see the Pandas). But it is not easy to get there from the port. You will probably have to take a taxi. You should plan on being there for most of the day.

Edited by cr8tiv1
How does Astro Flyer always beat me to the post? !!

Yes, in October 2015 we went on the Queen Mary for free with our cruise card. You see the main public rooms and the promenade deck, but you have to pay for a tour to see a lot more. But it was good. There is a free shuttle at the port to downtown Long Beach to look around. I heard the harbor cruise is very good, but we didn't take that. I wish we had. Probably everyone would like that and they point out a lot.

At Santa Barbara the beach is right there. It was a big beach. Looked nice. Probably cold water.

I really like seeing the Santa Barbara Mission. I think even the kids could like that. I think that is number one, and it's a slice of old California. The Old Courthouse just off State Street is great. Still in use. Calls itself the most beautiful public building in the U.S., and they might be right. On State Street, the Ronald Reagan Ranch Museum was really good, if you're a fan of Reagan. It is free, for signing in. It is at the foot of State Street near the beach. We took a local bus, very cheap, which went directly to the Santa Barbara Zoo. It's a nice, basic small zoo. It's a little challenging to recommend things with teens and a 7-year-old. Kids can get bored with things adults might like.

I don't know about a local shuttle or taxi. I loved the ship's wine tour, and it wasn't too expensive. The kids might actually find it interesting.

Enjoy your cruise. We liked the Grand a lot.

It is NOT the Green Line from Long Beach.

It is the Blue Line>Red Line>Hollywood/Vine

The Green Line originates near LAX and goes to Norwalk.

Duh....I knew that. Thanks for catching my mistake. I am so used to seeing the Green Line......Yes.... Take the Blue Line from Downtown Long Beach.

It is NOT the Green Line from Long Beach.

It is the Blue Line>Red Line>Hollywood/Vine

The Green Line originates near LAX and goes to Norwalk.

Duh....I knew that. Thanks for catching my mistake. I am so used to seeing the Green Line......Yes.... Take the Blue Line from Downtown Long Beach.

It's just my personal opinion but I'd be hesitant to take that option going through some high crime areas. If that's not a concern for others then it would be a doable option.

Here's a link to the LB Transit site which shows the Carnival cruise terminal & also the transit center to get the Metro Blue Line.

http://www.lbtransit.com/Schedules/Default.aspx?routegrp=30&routes=Passport&direction=Outbound&day=today&mode=map

Edited by Astro Flyer

Although I have never heard of it.....Boarding the Queen Mary for free might be a Carnival thing as they dock very near the QM and Princess rarely sails from LB. Princess does not have a sign and sail card.

We did the Coastal cruise out of S.F we have always docked in Long Beach, we had heard that if you show your cruise card you can tour the Queen Mary for free and thats what we did in October we took our niece and we enjoyed it.

Becky

We did the Coastal cruise out of S.F we have always docked in Long Beach, we had heard that if you show your cruise card you can tour the Queen Mary for free and thats what we did in October we took our niece and we enjoyed it.

Becky

Based on the itineraries I've seen when in-transit Princess usually goes to LB if Carnival does not have a ship in port.

That makes sense to me because except for the battleship USS Iowa in San Pedro, the Long Beach area has more to offer cruise passengers including access to the Metro rail line.

Edited by Astro Flyer