Nassau....Unsafe?

spyfytiffy

First of all, I've been to Nassau one time on a cruise stop, but it was 16 years ago. I was talking to my realtor the other day and told her we are going to Nassau as one of our ports. She said that she went last year on a cruise and it was the worst stop. Naturally I asked her why. She said there were guards everywhere with big guns and her husband had to hold the belt loop on her pants because he felt unsafe. She said A lot of businesses were boarded up. She asked a local why it had changed so much and they told her the economy had hit them hard. I wanted to find out other opinions and see if anyone else has experience this. We will be in port on the ninth (next week) for only half a day. We leave port at 1 o'clock so I'm unsure if it's worth getting off the ship.

Edited by spyfytiffy

I guess it depends on where you live. In NY we see the military and the NYPD with big guns at all transportation places where people gather - Penn Station, Grand Central, Port Authority and other places. So seeing law enforcement carrying guns out in public at a cruise dock is not something that would faze me. When we were there in February I did not feel unsafe at all.

That’s just silliness. We were just there two weeks ago. A friend and I rode the city bus and we walked around and were just fine. I may have seen a police officer or two but certainly no visible guns. I don’t recall seeing anything boarded up either.

As long as you aren’t flashing money and jewelry around, you’ll be fine. People may approach you to purchase tours, cigars, etc., but just smile, say no thanks and keep walking. While Nassau is not my favorite port by any stretch, I think the people are nice and don’t feel my safety was in jeopardy in the least.

As with any unfamiliar location, just beware of your surroundings. Stay in the port area if you must, but please at least get off the ship and wander around a bit.

First of all, I've been to Nassau one time on a cruise stop, but it was 16 years ago. I was talking to my realtor the other day and told her we are going to Nassau as one of our ports. She said that she went last year on a cruise and it was the worst stop. Naturally I asked her why. She said there were guards everywhere with big guns and her husband had to hold the belt loop on her pants because he felt unsafe. She said A lot of businesses were boarded up. She asked a local why it had changed so much and they told her the economy had hit them hard. I wanted to find out other opinions and see if anyone else has experience this. We will be in port on the ninth (next week) for only half a day. We leave port at 1 o'clock so I'm unsure if it's worth getting off the ship.

We were there on a cruise in mid Jan. '16, so just a few weeks ago. At the cruise port, we did see armed men with guns at the cruise port. We were not impressed. We had been in both 2008 and 2009 (by airplane) and stayed at Atlantis both times for several days each. In 2008 we had a very scary episode and I will leave it at that (off resort). We felt like we had seen the island enough (I am not a fan of Nassau) the other two trips, so got back on the ship asap. Maybe it depends on the day...but there were the men with huge guns strapped across their back....the port to me was run down and sketchy-like. We took the cruise for the cruise---the ports didn't matter----and I just gave the port another chance to look at it and thought their might be some cute shops. There were not, so it was not a big deal---we just spent the day on the ship looking at the beautiful water and enjoying the ship. Just wanted you to know your realtor probably did see men with huge guns strapped to them because I know we did.

Perhaps Nassau has become less safe since we were there last year- but as it is a major port stop we always use caution.

We do NOT go out at night there.

We always take excursions with the ship or a van taxi (safety in numbers).

We ALWAYS go on excursions with others in our group- never solo.

We read the State Dept. travel section for updates.

We use caution like this in many of the Caribbean ports- for that matter in most ports.

As with any city, anywhere, just be careful and use common sense. Also don't go away from the main tourist areas (you can tell when you have).

If someone tries to give you something for "free" (which happens a lot), just say "no" very firmly and keep walking.

I go to Nassau every couple of months, and have walked to Fort Fincastle, taken a local taxi tour, hopped on jitneys, and taken a taxi to Atlantis. Next week I'm walking to Junkanoo Beach.

Have fun!

The British Colonial Hilton is not far from the pier and has a day pass.

The Ardastra Gardens and Zoo takes a few hours to see.

They both have good websites.

We did the zoo a few years back when we were there. Enjoyed it very much! Took the city bus which was cheap.

We were there on a cruise in mid Jan. '16, so just a few weeks ago. At the cruise port, we did see armed men with guns at the cruise port. We were not impressed. We had been in both 2008 and 2009 (by airplane) and stayed at Atlantis both times for several days each. In 2008 we had a very scary episode and I will leave it at that (off resort). We felt like we had seen the island enough (I am not a fan of Nassau) the other two trips, so got back on the ship asap. Maybe it depends on the day...but there were the men with huge guns strapped across their back....the port to me was run down and sketchy-like. We took the cruise for the cruise---the ports didn't matter----and I just gave the port another chance to look at it and thought their might be some cute shops. There were not, so it was not a big deal---we just spent the day on the ship looking at the beautiful water and enjoying the ship. Just wanted you to know your realtor probably did see men with huge guns strapped to them because I know we did.

This response, like others on Cruise Critic when the OP asks about port safety, isn't particularly helpful. Phrases like "not impressed," "run-down and sketchy-like," and "not a fan," with no specifics to illustrate them, are simply opinion. And "armed men with guns," redundant though the wording is, might actually make folks feel more secure, rather than less so...

The provocative mention of a " very scary episode," is the only potentially helpful one, but not of no value without elaboration. Please explain what happened so as to provide the OP and the rest of us some truly useful (if anecdotal) information.

I feel like Nassau is a cesspool. We got there on February 5th at 12pm. I got off the ship and walked in a group of 4 through the port. We were hard sold scooters by 3 men who would not get out of our face. I kept repeating no thank you we are not interested and that only fueled them to become more insistent. I am a big guy, 6'6" 235lbs, and I literally felt as though the 3 of them wanted to fight me. We finally got past those three, took 5 steps and another group trying to push scooters approached. We didn't say a word and just walked past all the while they kept walking in front of us pushing a price list in our faces.

There was a pungent sewage odor and dead fish odor in Nassau that day. I haven't been there in 10+ years and man has it gone to the toilet. We finally got to walking towards the straw market. On the way there a kid tried giving us "free" Bahamas bracelets. We said no but watched him give the bracelets to 2 other passengers, tie them on their wrists and demand 10 dollars. Once they were tied on the wrist, 2 grown adults came behind the little boy asking why the tourists were trying to steal. They paid the 10 dollars and scurried away.

We continued to walk and I was asked to buy drugs 3x by people I walked past. We got to the straw market and it basically was all the same low quality junk everywhere. Nothing cultural and things all were mass produced Chinese products of low quality. We decided at 1250 to head back to the ship as we just felt uncomfortable in Nassau. We started to walk back and my friend said quietly within our group that he wanted to buy two cigars for coworkers who were watching over his clients. Immediately the guy walking in front of us stopped and said " you want cigars?" he turned, opened his backpack and tried hard selling some cigars from his bag. That was our breaking point. I finally realized I will never book another cruise that stops here ever again. I even made a comment that I wonder if the reason ships continue to stop here is to empty their bowels of waste, it was that bad in my eyes. A waste of a stop, horrible people, aggressive tactics, and just plain dirty. I would say enjoy the ship, but the ship was still so full it felt like most people shared my sentiments.

Edited by cubsfan2008

I feel like Nassau is a cesspool. We got there on February 5th at 12pm. I got off the ship and walked in a group of 4 through the port. We were hard sold scooters by 3 men who would not get out of our face. I kept repeating no thank you we are not interested and that only fueled them to become more insistent. I am a big guy, 6'6" 235lbs, and I literally felt as though the 3 of them wanted to fight me. We finally got past those three, took 5 steps and another group trying to push scooters approached. We didn't say a word and just walked past all the while they kept walking in front of us pushing a price list in our faces.

There was a pungent sewage odor and dead fish odor in Nassau that day. I haven't been there in 10+ years and man has it gone to the toilet. We finally got to walking towards the straw market. On the way there a kid tried giving us "free" Bahamas bracelets. We said no but watched him give the bracelets to 2 other passengers, tie them on their wrists and demand 10 dollars. Once they were tied on the wrist, 2 grown adults came behind the little boy asking why the tourists were trying to steal. They paid the 10 dollars and scurried away.

We continued to walk and I was asked to buy drugs 3x by people I walked past. We got to the straw market and it basically was all the same low quality junk everywhere. Nothing cultural and things all were mass produced Chinese products of low quality. We decided at 1250 to head back to the ship as we just felt uncomfortable in Nassau. We started to walk back and my friend said quietly within our group that he wanted to buy two cigars for coworkers who were watching over his clients. Immediately the guy walking in front of us stopped and said " you want cigars?" he turned, opened his backpack and tried hard selling some cigars from his bag. That was our breaking point. I finally realized I will never book another cruise that stops here ever again. I even made a comment that I wonder if the reason ships continue to stop here is to empty their bowels of waste, it was that bad in my eyes. A waste of a stop, horrible people, aggressive tactics, and just plain dirty. I would say enjoy the ship, but the ship was still so full it felt like most people shared my sentiments.

I've loved all of our stops here. We've done Atlantis twice, the Hilton, and Melia. I'd like to check out Blue Lagoon next time. It's definitely not a place where you can just meander around the port.

I had a somewhat similar experience walking to/from the straw market several years ago. Afterward, we took a jitney bus to the fish fry area without incident but the immediate dock area and straw market were uncomfortable. Very dirty looking, aggressive 'vendors', and people offering to sell drugs to both myself and my teenage sons. I'm going back in August with my girlfriend and her 7-year old son. Not sure what we'll do that day, but I'm thinking it will definitely be something organized rather than on our own.

I had done a detailed review of my visit the last time, but given the age of the post, I think it's no longer available - as I've been unable to find it.

Edited by metsfan1968

As mentioned, we take great care in the ports regarding safety.

However, we have been to Nassau many times and have always enjoyed our

excursions (Atlantis, Ardastra Gardens & Zoo, the Sheraton & Melia, the Blue Lagoon and others.)

We feel the key is having a good excursion booked and not just wandering around without knowing the area. We were first there in 2006 and decided then that we would not want to just wander around.

Edited by cruiseapril

Nassau (and Jamaica) are my least favorite ports. We've been lucky to go to the Atlantis several times, so we don't do excursions there. We usually stay on the ship and enjoy the uncrowded pools as We don't enjoy the straw market and the town isn't all that exciting. That said, in January we had cool weather on our Nassau day so staying on the ship wasn't all that appealing. We got off walked through the port area and walked to the Waitlings Distillery for a (free) tour and rum tasting. We also purchased several specialty drinks. We had a pleasant walk, we were not harassed and witnessed no weapons! We walked past several interesting homes and churches (it Was a Sunday) and had a very pleasant day.

I am going to have to agree. I have been there 8 times since 1993. The first two times were on my first honeymoon and a vacation. It use to be beautiful! Back then we still had people trying to sell us hard core dugs. My husband smoked with a local on a booze cruise and whatever they gave him was laced with some kind of drug. He was sick for 24 hrs straight! We met another local that got us wristbands, a hotel room for the day, and towels, (you had to have a room then to ck out a towel), at the Atlantis for $15 pp. the scams they have going on there are incredible! Another time at he Atlantis I was laying on a chaise when I witnessed Atlantis employees, steal someone's belongings off a chair and then lie about it when the person came back looking for his stuff. I went to security to let them know but they weren't concerned. It's trashy there. I hate that port. Unfortunately we will be back in November. I was going to go to Blue Lagoon a Island, but someone said that's now trashy too!

We'll be going here next month. We have an excursion to Atlantis booked through Disney, and 2 of us will be separately taking a taxi to Atlantis to get an observer pass.

I'm wondering though how bad the port itself is... I've seen posts in this thread saying it is horrible, and others saying it is fine.

We'll be going here next month. We have an excursion to Atlantis booked through Disney, and 2 of us will be separately taking a taxi to Atlantis to get an observer pass.

I'm wondering though how bad the port itself is... I've seen posts in this thread saying it is horrible, and others saying it is fine.

You will be fine, just always look to your surroundings, keep your valuables tucked away, wallet etc....

Best tip for the Atlantis, do not leave any valuables on chairs when not occupied and invest in their $20 locker rentals.

The water park there is amazing! You will have a blast!

We've been to Nassau half a dozen times on various cruises. I was excited to go the first time, having very fond memories of a couple of trips I took with my family as a teen, but I was shocked by how different it was from what I thought I had remembered. It has gone down hill, but it's not horrific. The vendors are pushy, especially right at the port, but a firm no thank you has always worked. My kids love the straw market, but my hubby and I quickly grow tired of the sale tactics. We usually get off long enough for the kids to do a bit of shopping on Bay Street and then go back on to enjoy the much emptier ship.