Live/Cloud: South Africa-Botswana+, Many Pix’s, Terry/Ohio

TLCOhio

Terry, Who did you use for your tour in Richards Bay. I'm just starting to put together our tour bookings for Dec and am open to recommendations.

Appreciate your follow-up and question. For Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park, KwaZulu-Natal’s finest game reserve, and the St. Lucia/iSimangaliso Wetland, we used Outdoor Africa. You can check their website at: http://www.outdoor-africa.com. You can also e-mail to either info@outdoor-africa.com OR toby@outdoor-africa.com.

We did a two-day program with just my wife and me. It worked super well!! Wonderful experience. We stayed overnight in the Hilltop Camp within Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park. That allowed both late afternoon/early evening and early morning game drives. Being there overnight also made the logistics so much easier and more efficient. Seeing more!! Doing more!!

As mentioned earlier in this live/blog, the ship offerings for most of these parts of South Africa were fairly average, at best!! Sure glad that we did this tour at Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park, etc., with Toby. Plus, the day tour, privately, that we did at Addo Elephant Park near Port Elizabeth.

Any other questions? Happy to share more!! Don't be shy!!

Sorry for my delay in not responding yesterday, but, that day was "tax day" in the USA. Had to finalize all of that "paper-work" and check-writing fun that happens.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 140,810 views for this posting.

Edited by TLCOhio

Thanks Terry,

No worries re the delay I've got ages.

I have most places sorted and yes the tours aren't all that appealing, not to mention I am not big on ship trips!

Someone also keeps reminding me that after Bots most of the day trips to parks will be a let down.

I have most places sorted and yes the tours aren't all that appealing, not to mention I am not big on ship trips! Someone also keeps reminding me that after Bots most of the day trips to parks will be a let down.

Appreciate your follow-up and agree 100% that if you can do it private and especially "more personal"/small, it generally works better, especially in areas such as these key locations in South Africa. My inside, well-informed sources explained to me that Silversea does not have the best set-up provider handling their local arrangements for these tours in South Africa. Sure glad that were able to work out our own arrangement for all of these SA locations. The exception was Mozambique were the situation is less flexible for having available those independent options. The SS ship tour worked very well for our interests and needs there. Really enjoyed that stop, what we say and did.

From our experiences, we did three safari days in South Africa . . . versus . . . six safari days in Botswana. Which was better? Both areas were awesome!! For Addo Elephant Park and Hluhluwe-Imfolozi/St. Lucia/iSimangaliso, things worked very well and we saw an incredible range of animals, birds; learned so much; loved our experiences, etc.

Need proof/evidence?? Below are six more visuals from Hluhluwe-Imfolozi and St. Lucia/iSimangaliso that I have not previously posted on this live/blog. Are these good and interesting? All of these six pictures were from our two days at these parks nearby to Richards Bay. On just one of the days where we got up early in the morning at Hluhluwe-Imfolozi and then did a Zulu school and St. Lucia/iSimangaliso, I took 965 pictures!! Does that not reflect that these South Africa parks were worth it? Botswana was great, too, but do not underestimate what is possible and potential at certain, key South African locations.

Added questions, info needs? Happy to share more.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 38,380 views for these postings.

First is a hippo, giving me that "look" while at St. Lucia/iSimangaliso. Next are three different rhino visuals from Hluhluwe-Imfolozi. This park is the one place in the world that pioneered how to save these huge creatures from being destroyed. These pictures include a young rhino, a older one doing a "spraying" (sorry, this is real "nature"), and a group of three of them together.:

April2016Pis2_zpsjglt44ir.jpg

April2016Pis5_zpshzfjanhd.jpg

April2016Pis6_zpsowh43jxy.jpg

April2016Pis3_zpsuiaubg93.jpg

Here are two other fun pictures from our time at Hluhluwe-Imfolozi near Richards Bay. This includes a kudu and these three baboons having a "meeting" in the wild.:

April2016Pis4_zpsluycymdf.jpg

April2016Pis7_zpsfw4himvy.jpg

Thanks,

I'm not being nah,,, more a case of having done 15 safari days last year in numerous locations with no more than 10 people in the reserve area I know what want from the experience.

We are following up with 3 days of gorilla tracking and 4 days of southern serengeti migration post cruise. Also jr is doing sabi pre cruise.

I can't bring myself to go to Addo as I do not ascribe to their philosophy on activities and whilst I appreciate it isn't the whole park I don't want any of my cash going towards what I see as not a beneficial experience for the animals.

http://www.addoelephantbacksafaris.co.za/safaris.html

You would have noticed that the early morning and late afternoon aspect of game drives was a big feature, not to mention that I can't sit in a safari vehicle in December without returning like a beetroot, even with good cover on the drive vehicles Like the wildlife I need to retreat between 10am and 3pm.....

We are very much interested in the historical aspects of some of the ports and having numerous friends who were born and raised and still have family in the area we have some great local tips on what to do.

The McDonalds of the Plains also have large M on their hindquarters!

MrsWaldo: I'm not being nah' date=',, more a case of[b'] having done 15 safari days[/b] last year in numerous locations with no more than 10 people in the reserve area I know what want from the experience. We are following up with 3 days of gorilla tracking and 4 days of southern serengeti migration post cruise. Also jr is doing sabi pre cruise. I can't bring myself to go to Addo as I do not ascribe to their philosophy on activities and whilst I appreciate it isn't the whole park I don't want any of my cash going towards what I see as not a beneficial experience for the animals. You would have noticed that the early morning and late afternoon aspect of game drives was a big feature, not to mention that I can't sit in a safari vehicle in December without returning like a beetroot, even with good cover on the drive vehicles. Like the wildlife I need to retreat between 10am and 3pm..... We are very much interested in the historical aspects of some of the ports and having numerous friends who were born and raised and still have family in the area we have some great local tips on what to do.

jpalbny: Ha' date=' it's a [b']congress of baboons![/b] How appropriate.

Yes, duct tape is correct for the unique look of those African plains animals with their large "M" on their back sides. Super cute!! Below is one of my pictures to show some of these young impalas. They are a type of antelopes that was very common for us to see in much of South Africa and Botswana. We super loved to watch them play, do their magical leaps, etc. Fun!!

Very impressed with the past Africa experiences by MrsWaldo. WOW!! That's lots of background in having visited there and seen much very in-depth. We did not see and/or do any type of elephant riding while in Addo. Does not seem like our type of "thing". Glad you know what you are seeking when visiting there, again. Good luck!! Look forward to hearing what you actually set-up and do during this visit to Africa.

Loved JP's reference to a "congress of baboons!" Very funny!!! Yes, there are some unique terms for groups of certain animals in Africa. A couple sources, however, says the collective noun for baboons is commonly "troop". Here are some other names from Africa: Hippopotamuses come in groups called a bloat. Hyenas come in groups called a cackle. Impalas come in groups called a herd. Insects come in groups called a horde, nest, swarm, rabble, or plague. Leopards come in groups called a leap. Lions come in groups called a pride, sault or troop. Ostrich come in groups called a flock. Zebras come in groups called a Crossing, Zeal, Cohorts, or Herd. Lots of interesting names, phrases, etc.

THANKS for the sharing and comments! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 59,149 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Here is a group of some younger impalas with their back part showing that "M" that is very distinctive and interesting. Love their faces, colorations, etc. Very cute creatures!!:

April2016Pis1_zpstrcmxm5v.jpg

There is another local name for the impala.

It's also known as a JABI

(just another bleeding Impala)

Terry I flicked an email to Tim this morning and heard back almost immediately. They currently are reviewing whether they will be able to help as they have stopped tours from ships due to time constraints but will have a look because we overnight. Fingers crossed. Hearing back so quickly given the time zones is certainly a big plus.

Thanks again

There is another local name for the impala. It's also known as a JABI. (just another bleeding Impala). Terry I flicked an email to Tim this morning and heard back almost immediately. They currently are reviewing whether they will be able to help as they have stopped tours from ships due to time constraints but will have a look because we overnight. Fingers crossed. Hearing back so quickly given the time zones is certainly a big plus.

bobolink: Bravo. Terry' date=' you did it again! Your photos and descriptions of your vacation are [b']simply amazing[/b]. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with the Cruise Critic community.

Appreciate these follow-ups. Yes, that's a cute term for those "bleeding Impalas". Glad that there were so quick with a response. Was it Toby who responded? He is actually located in Asheville, NC, while Hayden is in Africa. Outdoor Africa does lots of longer tours. Keep us posted for how your plans shape up and how you are targeting your time there. Sounds exciting!!

Our California friend is very kind with the nice comments. It was fun to get so many good visuals and have great weather during our Africa touring time. Having excellent light helps in achieving better photo results.

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 31,706 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Has anyone flown Qatar Airlines? I would appreciate your impression. Thank, Kathy

On the Africa Cruise Critic board, Kathy, had this above question on Qatar Airways. Below is what I posted, plus some visuals. We had four flights with Qatar for doing our early 2016 "Africa Adventure". Were we happy? Very much!! Why? They got us from Chicago to Cape Town and back from Johannesburg to O'Hare . . . in style and comfort. Between Chicago and Doha, it was on their Boeing 777 planes, a 2-2-2 configuration in business class. Between South Africa and Doha, it was on the 787 Dreamliner, 1-2-1 configuration in business class. Fortunately we were able to work out these flights with American Airline Frequent Flyer miles, making things even better. Priced just right!!

MORE SPECIFICS?!!?: Their planes are nice and new, not the 20+ years age for some equipment used (or over-used) by certain other airlines. Great food options and selection. They will serve you either dinner and/or breakfast and as to when you want and need it, plus allowing for any another extras, etc. Need it? Just ask!! Yes, the food was very good. Below is just one dinner picture as my "evidence/proof". The 787's are especially nice with the larger windows, LED lighting, etc. Lots of video options, electric plug-ins, etc. Their terminal in Doha (also pictured below) is less than a year old, nicely designed, many comfortable touches, etc. Their premium class lounge has wonderful food options, nice places to relax, good wi-fi connections, etc. Nothing to complain about.

There are some "battles" as the established airline biggies do not like the competition coming from Qatar, Emirates, etc. Maybe, the rich oil countries are subsidizing them. Maybe not? Not sure if certain other countries do some subsidizing of their flag airlines. As detailed by the one liberal UK newspaper cited on the Africa CC Board, certain labor unions are not totally happy with all of these competitor airline employee policies, not getting union dues, etc., from Qatar, etc.

Overall, we were very happy. Yes, all of our flights were on-time, baggage handled perfectly, their staff/pilots being very professional, etc. Questions and reactions??

Wonderful Kotor and nearby Montenegro? Check these postings. Have had over 28,629 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

Here are some visuals relating to Qatar and our experiences with them. First, is the Qatar airline symbol (Arabian oryx) on the tail of their 777 plane at Chicago O'Hare as we were getting ready to board as the evening sun is setting. The next three visuals are samples in Doha from the premium lounge areas where drinks and food were plentiful and nice, plus having lots of classy areas for sitting and relaxing.:

April2016Pis6_zpskhlmauzy.jpg

April2016Pis2%201_zpslv2tnbgh.jpg

April2016Pis4%201_zpsa1eim4q7.jpg

April2016Pis3%201_zps9wtl7rfc.jpg

On our flight to Cape Town from Doha, here is how things looked in the business class seating of the 787 Dreamliner with the large windows in the background, the lighting giving a gentle pink look, plenty of space to park your "stuff", etc. Second is one of our meals served to us. Plus, lots of wine and beverages, etc.:

April2016Pis5_zpsniedfgwb.jpg

April2016Pis1%201_zpsmpzaloii.jpg

Hi Terry,

Sorry for the delay but work got in the way for a few days!

It was indeed Toby, Tim is a rep from another tour company for a different port.

As yet I have heard nothing else from Toby and I shall give him a few more days then start looking at alternatives. The ships tours are really a last resort.

Appreciate your patience with a few more of my visuals to illustrated our journey getting down and back from southern Africa. Long flights and it involved crossing rather challenging parts of the world. I did not tell my wife much on their routes until after we were safely over certain of these countries that are in the news these days for all of the wrong reasons.

ForAthens and nearby, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples from this city that is so great for seeing its great history, style and architecture. This posting is now at 12,309 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

In departing from Chicago to Doha, here was our routing, including passing between Iraq and Iran. Glad we were flying at 37,000 feet between these two challenged countries.:

April2016Pis10_zpsipcxjlf4.jpg

April2016Pis11_zpsepzapktk.jpg

As we flew away from Doha, here is a sampling for their city's night look with lots of lighting, roadways, buildings, etc. Large, interesting city!! Wish we would have had time to explore and sample there.:

April2016Pis9_zpsl9eawdta.jpg

In flying to Cape Town, there were some territories that they sought to avoid and keep some distance. Fine with me. Not flying directly over Somalia was desired. The second picture shows a sunrise as we were flying over Africa. Third is a sampling of the rugged mountains and the 787 Dreamliner's curved wing as we were nearing our landing in Cape Town.:

April2016Pis7_zpskvt7fvw5.jpg

April2016Pis12_zpspqa7cqc4.jpg

April2016Pis8_zpscifjvxuz.jpg

• 2 months later...

I have been pondering a cruise just like yours, on the same ship I think...departing next Janaury. But I had been very hesitant because my DH & I had visited Kenya for a fabulous land-based Safari about 30 years ago, and longed to do something similar but as we are somehow finding ourselves older now -- go figure -- we mostly cruise for vacations and couldn't believe a cruise would allow us to actually include a true safari experience. Now, reading your remarkable review I am thinking that is just what we would want. If you are still checking CC I wonder if it would be too much to ask you for an itinerary that includes names & contact info on your private shore excursion providers. They sounded so fabulous, I can go back and try to see if there is enough information to track them down in your entries, but as you seem so organized, I thought you might have this already compiled. Anyway, thank you so much for sharing your experience. You have turned up my dreaming...

I have been pondering a cruise just like yours, on the same ship I think...departing next Janaury. But I had been very hesitant because my DH & I had visited Kenya for a fabulous land-based Safari about 30 years ago, and longed to do something similar but as we are somehow finding ourselves older now -- go figure -- we mostly cruise for vacations and couldn't believe a cruise would allow us to actually include a true safari experience. Now, reading your remarkable review I am thinking that is just what we would want. If you are still checking CC I wonder if it would be too much to ask you for an itinerary that includes names & contact info on your private shore excursion providers. They sounded so fabulous, I can go back and try to see if there is enough information to track them down in your entries, but as you seem so organized, I thought you might have this already compiled. Anyway, thank you so much for sharing your experience. You have turned up my dreaming...

Appreciate your nice follow-up and good question. Will be happy to share that information and any other background that would be helpful. We just got our two grandsons back on the plane to Virginia this morning and am now heading down to southern Ohio for a family reunion. Latter tomorrow, I will be able to respond with those specifics. Don't be shy!! Keep those excellent questions rolling along. We were very pleased by how our three days of private safari's worked during this ten-day cruise.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

Now at 40,049 views for these postings.

For the Richards Bay portion terry directed me to Toby.

After much discussion and deliberation Toby replied they no longer do tours from cruise ships and I am finding s similar response from many operators, that's if they respond at all.

The lead I was given for wallvis bay will only take groups of 16 from the ship, and wants pre payment which is impossible to organise.

I'm happy if I can get any other leads though

Appreciate your nice follow-up and good question. Will be happy to share that information and any other background that would be helpful. We just got our two grandsons back on the plane to Virginia this morning and am now heading down to southern Ohio for a family reunion. Latter tomorrow, I will be able to respond with those specifics. Don't be shy!! Keep those excellent questions rolling along. We were very pleased by how our three days of private safari's worked during this ten-day cruise.

Thanks very much Terry. You are so generous. Greatly appreciated!

We have used Micato Safaris several times but not from a cruise ship. I know they worked with Silversea, Crystal and Seabourn. Micato is one of the best outfitters and they do a lot of private as we do all our safaris private. Micato is a luxury outfitter.

We are doing another Safari in November 24 days and covering more of Africa. Three days is just not enough time to enjoy Africa. A three day jaunt trying to see everything would wear us out with two game drives a day..

For the Richards Bay portion terry directed me to Toby. After much discussion and deliberation Toby replied they no longer do tours from cruise ships and I am finding s similar response from many operators, that's if they respond at all.

Appreciate these added follow-ups from MrsWaldo, Suite Travels, etc. For Richards Bay and the two days there in Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park, staying overnight at the Hilltop Resort within the park, doing St. Lucia/iSimangaliso Wetland Park on the east coast of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa, we worked with Toby and Outdoor-Africa. He can be reached at toby@outdoor-africa.com or info@outdoor-africa.com. Or, you can check their website of http://www.outdoor-africa.com.

Generally, Toby likes to do longer tours and/or larger groups. Much depends on timing and luck!! When things are busier, the better folks/guides get booked up sooner. For some providers, only doing a one or two day cruise-related group might not be as productive. BUT, check, see what is possible, etc. ASK!! Don't be shy!!

In this Port Richards area, you could also check options with info@timbrowntours.com or Peter Koen from Extreme Nature Tours, at peter@extremenaturetours.co.za

Near Port Elizabeth, we super loved our in Addo Elephant National Park. We worked with:

angelika@alantours.co.za

for her husband's firm, ALAN TOURS, Port Elizabeth/South Africa

Tel: +27 (0) 41 378 1486, Cell: +27 (0) 72 358 4634

Addo Elephant National Park offered great game viewing and photography opportunities. *Its 164,233 hectares are inhabited by abundant birdlife and a multitude of wildlife species.

As noted earlier, the Silversea options for doing such safari trips along the coast were rather limited and we were super glad we made our own, private arrangements. What we saw and did was so much better, more "personal", etc., than what the cruise ship could offer. And, a much better value.

PRIVATE TOUR TIPS??: Having set-up and done a number of varied and interesting private tours in Europe, South America, Australia and Africa, here are my "secrets" and tips. From sources such as TripAdvisor, I will research and check out to find the three or four of the top-rated providers for such tours. Then, I will write an e-mail to each of these better potentials, outlining our needs, interests, past experiences, etc. Some firms are booked up and/or not that responsive. BUT, based on the replies and how well they "listen" and connect on our personal desires, I will lock down our schedule/plan. Often I ask many questions, get their input for how best to make things work for our needs, fine-tune our plan, learn much more about the area, etc. It takes a little "home-work", but it has worked super well for us.

Reactions and added questions? More info needs?

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 146,316 views for this posting.

So many thanks, Terry in Ohio. I have jumped in the deep end of the pool, booked this cruise, and already have benefitted from your fabulous report, which led me to discover the Qatar airlines association with AA so are using miles for the flight. I have also contacted the folks at Belmond about a possible land adventure with them (which for us will have to be pre-.cruise because of the challenges in finding available business class seats with miles). And we are looking at possible post/cruise visit to Krugar for a bit. Now I will take your tips on tour operators along the way, and try to arrange the best possible experience at each location. And as I promised Mrs Waldo, I will share news of what I find in that process...

I love the sharing culture that special folks have created at CC and you are surely one of the heroes of that....

Near Port Elizabeth, we super loved our in Addo Elephant National Park. We worked with:

angelika@alantours.co.za

for her husband's firm, ALAN TOURS, Port Elizabeth/South Africa

Tel: +27 (0) 41 378 1486, Cell: +27 (0) 72 358 4634

Addo Elephant National Park offered great game viewing and photography opportunities. *Its 164,233 hectares are inhabited by abundant birdlife and a multitude of wildlife species.

As noted earlier, the Silversea options for doing such safari trips along the coast were rather limited and we were super glad we made our own, private arrangements. What we saw and did was so much better, more "personal", etc., than what the cruise ship could offer. And, a much better value.

PRIVATE TOUR TIPS??: Having set-up and done a number of varied and interesting private tours in Europe, South America, Australia and Africa, here are my "secrets" and tips. From sources such as TripAdvisor, I will research and check out to find the three or four of the top-rated providers for such tours. Then, I will write an e-mail to each of these better potentials, outlining our needs, interests, past experiences, etc. Some firms are booked up and/or not that responsive. BUT, based on the replies and how well they "listen" and connect on our personal desires, I will lock down our schedule/plan. Often I ask many questions, get their input for how best to make things work for our needs, fine-tune our plan, learn much more about the area, etc. It takes a little "home-work", but it has worked super well for us.

Reactions and added questions? More info needs?

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 146,316 views for this posting.

Terry being a DE often leads to extra bonus but this time I am drawing a lot of blanks and everyone has said... Christmas Holidays

After 15 years of DYI this is the first time Ive really struggled

thanks Suite haven't tried Micato

The namib guy suggested was great until it was holiday season...

So many thanks, Terry in Ohio. I have jumped in the deep end of the pool, booked this cruise, and already have benefitted from your fabulous report, which led me to discover the Qatar airlines association with AA so are using miles for the flight. I have also contacted the folks at Belmond about a possible land adventure with them (which for us will have to be pre-.cruise because of the challenges in finding available business class seats with miles). And we are looking at possible post/cruise visit to Krugar for a bit. Now I will take your tips on tour operators along the way, and try to arrange the best possible experience at each location. And as I promised Mrs Waldo, I will share news of what I find in that process...I love the sharing culture that special folks have created at CC and you are surely one of the heroes of that....

MrsWaldo: Terry being a DE often leads to extra bonus but this time I am drawing a lot of blanks and everyone has said... Christmas Holidays. After 15 years of DYI this is the first time Ive really struggled

Appreciate these wonderful comments and follow-up from Islandattorney. Yes' date=' these CC boards can be very helpful and great for sharing experiences, options, potentials, etc. Keep updating us for how your options are coming together, any added questions, etc.

For MrsWaldo, tell me more as to [b']what "DE" means[/b]. Not sure on that reference or the context.

Yes, the timing for when you seek to do these tours and trips can affect your availabilities and costs. The Christmas Holidays definitely get busier and makes things more challenging. Our timing in early to mid February worked very well for us. PLUS, we enjoyed the better exchange rates for how many SA Rands we got for each U.S. Dollar.

Keep up the good info, questions, sharing, etc. Happy to provide any added background that will be helpful.

Now at 40,203 views for these postings.