Roughest seas ever on the Imagination.

amsred2

I just got off a B2B on the Imagination. The first two-day cruise was sunny and delightful and the service was great, as usual.

But what I really want to tell everyone about, was the second four-day leg of the B2B. The weather was horrible and the seas were the worst I have ever been on.

We missed Catalina and couldn't dock in Ensenda until the third day. We ended up with two very rough sea days and a lot ( I heard 500 )sick passengers. I've been on ships that cancelled tender ports due to high winds but this was the first time that I've been on board when they couldn't dock at a port and the weather was so severe that they cancelled all shows and stopped access to the outside decks.

(On the behind-the-scenes tour (which was fantastic BTW), the Captain told us that it hadn't been so bad in all his twenty years.)

No...I am not complaining. (I had a lot of fantastic rock-a-bye baby sleep).

I am here to give tons of praise to the crew of the Imagination for their poise, professionalism and grace in handling a very frustrating situation.

Even though the crew was also feeling the severe motion of the ocean, and dealing with some severely cranky guests (as if Carnival was responsible for the weather), the staff and crew continued to give us their best service.

I am going to sing the Imagination crew's praises to anyone that will listen. Besides John Heald and the survey, does anyone know who else I can write, call or email to let them know how wonderful I think they are?

It's not how a crew is performing when all is going well, that is an accurate measure of it's greatness, but how they react when truly tested. This crew gets an A++ for it's top notch performance under the most trying conditions!

Just got off this cruise myself and this is not an exaggeration. Most passengers took it in stride but you could tell from looking at the crew the seas were wearing on them. Through it all they still smiled and tried to make everyone's trip enjoyable the best they could.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Ouch! I had this experience on Imagination years ago to the Bahamas. 1st night was fine. Second night trying to outrun a hurricane passengers were throwing up all over. One dining room was temporarily shut down after several passengers got ill at dinner :eek: So glad we had opted for Lido that night! The only time in 6 cruises, 2 tender rides & a few catamarans that I've ever been ill. Outside decks closed. All shows cancelled for 2nd & 3rd night. We spoke to the bartenders & waiters & a few reported being ill themselves. Sitting at the aft near Pizza & Deli looking out the big aft windows we couldn't even see out! The rain was in buckets!

Like you I give credit to Carnival though. They still found ways to keep us entertained. On disembark day we got stuck at sea & docked 12 hours late. They ran the deck entertainment (like hairy chest), a production show & Love & Marriage those hours to make up for what we had missed. May still be the most fun cruise I've taken! I hope you had fun as well despite the weather!

I was also on this cruise, which we dubbed "Revenge of El Niño". Having cruised this itinerary many times, this was the roughest cruise we have ever been on. The ship listed to the side at times at such an angle that glasses on the tables were sent off the side crashing. We heard many items crashing to the floor one night in the dinning room. The staff were AMAZING and service was always with a smile...despite a few of them looking pretty green. The ship was pretty empty as I am sure most were in their rooms holding not feeling well. The only issue we had was the yellow water in our room. Nothing like taking a shower and drying off only to see a white towel covered in yellow guck...when you thought you were clean. Due to the swells, it had stirred up the water tank and sediment was in the water...thus the yellow. Only bummer was the $7.50 refund for missing our port. Last time we missed a port we received $20, their policy must of changed.

I was also on this cruise, which we dubbed "Revenge of El Niño". Having cruised this itinerary many times, this was the roughest cruise we have ever been on. The ship listed to the side at times at such an angle that glasses on the tables were sent off the side crashing. We heard many items crashing to the floor one night in the dinning room. The staff were AMAZING and service was always with a smile...despite a few of them looking pretty green. The ship was pretty empty as I am sure most were in their rooms holding not feeling well. The only issue we had was the yellow water in our room. Nothing like taking a shower and drying off only to see a white towel covered in yellow guck...when you thought you were clean. Due to the swells, it had stirred up the water tank and sediment was in the water...thus the yellow. Only bummer was the $7.50 refund for missing our port. Last time we missed a port we received $20, their policy must of changed.

Yeah it was nothing like running a white wash cloth under the sink to wore of your face only to see it turn brown under the water.

Really glad to hear your positive attitude about the situation, to be honest when I saw the title my first thought was great here's another one complaining about something out of carnival's control lol. Sorry you had to experience the rough seas and missed ports, but it sounds like you made the best of it!

I hope our weather improves so we don't have to deal with that when we leave on the 21st!

Our of curiosity, did they sail further south or out to sea to try to escape the storm?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

On Monday they went farther south but only called slightly. When Catalina was canceled the original plan was for Sunday to be a sea day and arrive early Monday in Ensenada.

Around 7:30 the captain came on the PA abd stated due to currents and 70 knot winds the ship could not be safely navigated into the port. We sailed all day Monday and by mid evening it had calmed.

We did Ensenada on Tuesday and left 6:00 pm. Woke up this morning at 5:30 to find us already tied up in Long Beach.

I hope our weather improves so we don't have to deal with that when we leave on the 21st!

Our of curiosity, did they sail further south or out to sea to try to escape the storm?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Yes, the Captain did take us father south to try and get out of it but there was no escape. I forgot to mention that our day in Ensenada was beautiful with no wind and clear skies. The trip back to LB last night was not rough at all. Winds on the trip were 50 knots gusting to 75 knots!

Edited by realmccoy
Typo

It truly was a good cruise...of course I don't believe there is such a thing as a bad cruise. I really made the most of the sea days and did things that I have never done before. The "Behind the Fun" tour and the Chefs table were amazing. I have 75 days at sea and this was the first time I have done them. And as I can't say it enough, the crew, from the Captain to the poor cleaning crew were the among the best of all my cruises.

I was also onboard during this sailing and still currently onboard.(b2b) I got extremely nauseated and ended up just going to sleep because I couldn't take it. I had to drag myself to guest services for the Dramamine tablets which didn't help at all. The next day was just as rocky but I wasn't sick at all. I'm now on the second leg of my b2b and it was very smooth this time around. No rocking noticed at all and we reached Catalina on time.

Vary depending on port so it won't necessarily be the same $ amount for every port.