Decisions Decisions

NIATPAC29

I was on Pride last summer. This card was not left in our room. Our steward went over the card with us. He clearly said morning OR afternoon. We must have looked shocked becasue at that point he asked us if we had cruised before. He apologized and said Carnival was cutting back.

I posted about this when I got back and was basically called a liar here. Then Heald posted about it and said you could request both. I'll remember that when I return back to the same ship this summer.

This is disappointing. I know this topic is controversial here, but I am disappointed by this move. Do I need service twice a day? No. Is it nice to have service twice a day? Yes! I love coming back to my cabin and seeing it's been spruced up. It's a little luxury that goes a long way. It's just one of those things that makes cruising feel extra special.

I didn't mind the twice a day but some mornings I felt rushed to get out of the room so they could clean. I prefer to just pull the sheets and blankets up for the day, that way if we lay down during the day we're really not messing the bed up. As for the bathroom, we're not really dirty and can actually hang our towels up, maybe it's different if you have a whole family in the cabin and not just two people, but still./

We have an upcoming cruise in April on the Sunshine, not sure if they are using the cards there or not, but if so I will check both boxes and see what the cabin steward says. However if I am told they are reducing to only one service per day, I will not feel compelled to leave the extra tip we usually do at the end of the cruise. Less work then no extra tip, it's that simple.

I would actually prefer once a day. I cruise with my kids. We've only been on one cruise but I felt bad because our kids came back and napped and stuff so the had to remake beds. Also there were a couple nights we were in our room when they were getting the bedtime one done and we felt rushed to get out.

So from my personal experience this is good. My only question is if you only choose morning would they still do towel animal and fun times? Or what?

Not sure but could be that they will be changing but not until the already printed cards are use.

While possible, not likely. I used to work in the printing and collateral industry and clients would not keep fulfilling with outdated stock. They would create a new code for the old stock and a set amount of collateral would be moved for archiving purposes. The newest version of the stock would have a sequential version control code on it. But they would not want to distribute conflicting materials, or old material that did not accurately cover their current programs.

Also, surveys are designed not to get raw data, but to reinforce already formed business plans. If you have been accustomed to the way Carnival has done things, you can see it clearly. If you are about to go on your first cruise you will never know the difference.

This is disappointing. I know this topic is controversial here, but I am disappointed by this move. Do I need service twice a day? No. Is it nice to have service twice a day? Yes! I love coming back to my cabin and seeing it's been spruced up. It's a little luxury that goes a long way. It's just one of those things that makes cruising feel extra special.

Some Carnival exec should read Boardwalk Empire: The Birth, High Times, and Corruption of Atlantic City by Nelson Johnson. Much of it mirrors Carnival; become a dominant industry player by having reasonable fares so all can take their turn, a quality core product giving people a taste of luxury, make money off gambling, drinking, etc., but then fall in to a trap of reducing prices to keep rooms full, which lead to less maintenance and more crowding, which turned off those that could pay the price, which lead to a rough crowd that spent less, which drove down prices, which drove down maintenance, downward spiral, yadda yadda, a beautiful beach resort has become an urban slum.

Now, that's not a direct parallel, Carnival continues to 2.0-ize ships and has a new ship coming, but part of the core product is giving people a break from real life and a touch of luxury they won't find in many other similarly priced types of vacations. Make it feel unluxurious or have services suffer and suddenly that's a pretty small room and bathroom to pick for a weeks vacation....

I think increasing services and costs would ultimately be a bigger long term benefit for Carnival by attracting higher prices. But, it's a lot of staterooms to fill...

So from my personal experience this is good. My only question is if you only choose morning would they still do towel animal and fun times? Or what?

I have read they would make the towel animals in the morning and a fun times would be left for you at your door.

I'm not a messy slob cruiser, but I like walking into a tidy room, clear carpets, clean mirrors, clean bathroom, fresh towels and fresh ice. I don't need to be a stewards best friend and I'm not going to do anything to make their life harder or ask them to go out of their way. But I do like 2x daily service, so I will check both.

I have read they would make the towel animals in the morning and a fun times would be left for you at your door.

I'm not a messy slob cruiser, but I like walking into a tidy room, clear carpets, clean mirrors, clean bathroom, fresh towels and fresh ice. I don't need to be a stewards best friend and I'm not going to do anything to make their life harder or ask them to go out of their way. But I do like 2x daily service, so I will check both.

If it weren't for the kids I would probably like twice a day also. And I understand the frustration of it as they should just be upfront about it. Not say there will be a "both" option and continually not do it.

I do not feel as though this card is asking either or. I feel they don't want to do things you may not appreciate which only wasted their time. If you want both, by all means check morning evening. Some people do not find it necessary and don't care if their bed is turned down. I love having my bed made in the morning and the room spiffed up when I come in for the evening so I will check both. I constantly wear my robe but my husband never touches his so why go through the trouble of having to wash it when he never even uses it. I don't think they want to take away your service if you love it. I think they want to conserve their energies and manpower for people who want it. Carnival does want to keep the prices lower for us:)

Edited by smyliecruising

I would actually prefer once a day. I cruise with my kids. We've only been on one cruise but I felt bad because our kids came back and napped and stuff so the had to remake beds. Also there were a couple nights we were in our room when they were getting the bedtime one done and we felt rushed to get out.

Telling your steward to skip your room for turn down service has always been something you could do. If that's what you prefer, just tell your steward.

Carnival does want to keep the prices lower for us:)

Carnival is a business, and as such, want to make the most profit possible. They make cuts to increase their profit margin, not to lower your price.

Edited by Pesh

Carnival is a business, and as such, want to make the most profit possible. They make cuts to increase their profit margin, not to lower your price.

I own my own business and I want to keep my customers happy above all else but I also must make a profit. They do sit around in meetings trying to think up ways for us to have fun, keep the prices reasonable and still make a profit in the midst of inflation. They added Guys Burgers and better Mexican food for free! They do care about their customers or they wouldn't be where they are in the cruise industry. I hope they do make a profit!

[quote name='smyliecruising']I own my own business and I want to keep my customers happy above all else but I also must make a profit. They do sit around in meetings trying to think up ways for us to have fun, keep the prices reasonable and still make a profit in the midst of inflation. They added Guys Burgers and better Mexican food for free! They do care about their customers or they wouldn't be where they are in the cruise industry. I hope they do make a profit![/QUOTE]

Oh, I didn't say that they don't care about their customers, it's clear that they do care. For a business to be successful it of course has to please its customers as well as be profitable. I was just pointing out to you that the cuts they make (in this case frequency of steward service) are not done to lower the cost to the customer. Edited by Pesh