After Cruise Kenai Peninsula to Homer

Mailgirl

I am thinking of making Soldotna my vocal point for Sightseeing. Checking out the guidebook for Soldotna it shows that homer is only 78 ,miles away. If anyone has done this part of Alaska please feel free to offer any help.

I am finding it hard to decide if I want to stay in one place or I want to stay in different places along the way. I don't want to have to rush because I made a reservation and I'm afraid if I don't make any reservations I might not find a place to sleep.

This is my Itinerary so far.

09/12 Disembark at 7:00 am and meet with Major Marine (Get tickets

for the Alaska Rail Road and leave luggage at the station.

Do 6 hour cruise of Kenai Fjords at 11:30 am. ( 8 hour cruise not available too late in season)

Take Rail Road back to Anchorage and pick-up shuttle to the hotel.

09/13 Pick up rental car at Hertz and Drive to Seward.

With stops to:

Musk Ox Farm - (May save for on the way back to Anchorage)

Sea Life Aquarium

Seavy's Ididaride Tour (near Exit Glacier)

Travel to Soldotna, Stay in Soldotna and do day trips.

09/14 - day Trips Nikiski & Captin Cook State Recreation area.

Kenai National Wildlife Refuge - Lots of wildlife trails and viewing., Cooper Landing, Anchor Point, Ninilchik.

I have to be back in Anchorage on 09/16 as I am leaving on 09/17.

It's hard to plan because each town is unique and have different things to see. The people I am with won't do small planes and they don't like to fish.

Again I am open to any type of help that's why I love these boards.

My 2 cents ......instead of backtracking, flip the itinerary; explore the Soldotna area first then spend your last 2 days around Anc. You don't have as much time as you think, esp on the 14th when you think you're gong to drive to Soldotna AND have time for day trips.

12 disembark the ship. Kenai cruise

13 pick up rental at Hertz in Seward. Leisurely drive to Sodotna with stops.

14 full day to explore Soldotna area

15 drive back to Seward, 3 hrs. Seaveys and Sealife Center. Return car, evening train to Anc

16 explore Anc area .... Wildlife Conservation (which I think you meant instead of the Musk Ox Farm which is a good hour NORTH of Anc)

I'm assuming the train is a priority? Otherwise a one-way rental might maximize your time.

Have back up plans. Travelling so late in the season you could easily get slammed by a Fall storm.

Edited by mapleleaves

My 2 cents ......instead of backtracking, flip the itinerary; explore the Soldotna area first then spend your last 2 days around Anc. You don't have as much time as you think, esp on the 14th when you think you're gong to drive to Soldotna AND have time for day trips.

12 disembark the ship. Kenai cruise

13 pick up rental at Hertz in Seward. Leisurely drive to Sodotna with stops.

14 full day to explore Soldotna area

15 drive back to Seward, 3 hrs. Seaveys and Sealife Center. Return car, evening train to Anc

16 explore Anc area .... Wildlife Conservation (which I think you meant instead of the Musk Ox Farm which is a good hour NORTH of Anc)

I'm assuming the train is a priority? Otherwise a one-way rental might maximize your time.

Have back up plans. Travelling so late in the season you could easily get slammed by a Fall storm.

Snow wasn't even in my thoughts, I will keep that in mind. I was thinking about renting a car in Seward but Hertz prices are unreal and they don't even give you unlimited mileage. I can't rent a sedan because I have 3 pieces of luggage, 3 carry on's and 2 walkers with wheels. I have to rent a RAV4. The price of a regular car is 589.63, they won't give you the price of the RAV4 unless you call. One can only imagine. Anyway enough of my complaining. I thank you for your help and I will rethink things and look at changing things around.

I wasn't thinking about snow, just heavy wind and rain. Both my august trips had nasty weather ...Kenai cruises were cancelled both times.

Yes, Hertz in Seward is pricey. But your train is also pricey. Is the train a priority, like an excursion ?

If you want to keep the price down, you could skip the train and rent a car for the 12th - 17th. Take the shuttle to Anc (8:30am-11:am), cab to the Enterprise office on Airport Rd, and pick up a Rav4 for $370 for 5 days. Stop in Girdwood for lunch, visit the Wildlife Center and Potters Marsh and drive to Soldotna to for dinner and overnight.

Having Seward at the end gives you a couple of chances for the Kenai cruise, and if the sea is too rough, you could do the PWS cruise instead since you're kind of in that area as you drive towards Anc.

9/12 disembark, shuttle to Anc. Pick up car. 3 hr drive to Soldotna

13 explore Soldotna area

14 mid afternoon, drive to Seward. Dinner, overnight

15 kenai cruise

16 seavey kennel, sealife center. Drive to Anc or Girdwood to overnight if you have a morning flight.

17 drive to Anc for flight

p.s. I can't say much about Soldotna ... just drove thru it on the way to Homer. But the Moose is Loose Bakery is a must-do !!

Edited by mapleleaves
p.s.

Your "Soldotna", ideas are 1 day= at most. In my opinion, in Alaska, you are best being on the move. As already stated, you don't have a lot of time. How many people are you talking about? All that luggage is excessive for 2 people, can be cut down. Walkers fold and can go in back seats. Again, I am assuming 2 people. Please clarify.

The Musk Ox Farm is an hour north of Anchorage, and not a good plan with Seward and Soldotna.

IF you are walker dependent (or someone must be?) How did you choose Cpt Cook State Rec, area and your "wildlife trails and viewing" involves MILES of hiking to even have a slim chance of seeing anything. If there are mobility limits, then the Kenai fjords boat tour, and Prince William Sound boat tours, better scenic and wildlife opportunities.