Cruise Insurance Through Royal - Cancel Policy?

sjmbruce

Short Story:

Does Royal Caribbean offer a cancel for any reason policy with their insurance?

Does that mean a full cash refund even after the final payment date?

Long Story:

My husband's birthday falls on President's day (Feb 20th) next year and the cruise I want to take him on starts on Feb 18th.

The Problem:

My job doesn't allow employees to request days off for 2017 until Jan of 2017. We don't find out until the beginning of Feb if are requests are approved. Requests also go by seniority and I am at the bottom of the pole.

I don't want to wait until early Feb to book a trip for Feb 20th.

But if I have to cancel, it would be well after final payment. With the top tier cruise insurance from the cruise company, what would be my cancellation options three weeks before sail?

Short Story:

Does Royal Caribbean offer a cancel for any reason policy with their insurance?

Does that mean a full cash refund even after the final payment date?

Long Story:

My husband's birthday falls on President's day (Feb 20th) next year and the cruise I want to take him on starts on Feb 18th.

The Problem:

My job doesn't allow employees to request days off for 2017 until Jan of 2017. We don't find out until the beginning of Feb if are requests are approved. Requests also go by seniority and I am at the bottom of the pole.

I don't want to wait until early Feb to book a trip for Feb 20th.

But if I have to cancel, it would be well after final payment. With the top tier cruise insurance from the cruise company, what would be my cancellation options three weeks before sail?

Are you tied to RCCL insurance for some reason? Try INSUREMYTRIP.COM - they have lots of choices, some of which include "cancel for any reason" or "cancel for work reasons" provisions.

Edited by handbellplayer

I can only tell you that I had to cancel 2 weeks before our cruise. However, mine was due to an eye surgery and because of putting in a gas bubble, I couldn't fly. The cruise was to be out of San Juan so the only way there was by boat or raft and hopefully they wouldn't have mistaken me for a Cuban refugee and sent me back to Cuba. :eek:

As for other reasons, I don't know. Best call and ask. I do believe there are policies out there that allow you to cancel for any reason but are probably expensive.

We have had to cancel a couple of cruises for work reasons and have used RCI policies. You receive your money back for port and taxes and for whatever portion of the cruise is not in penalty. For the cruise cost that is in penalty you get 75% back as future cruise credit. For instance, your cruise cost $2300.00, $300 was port and taxes, you're in 75% penalty. You would get $800 back to the credit card you used to purchase the trip. The other $1500 would be multiplied by 75% and you would get $1125 in a future cruise voucher to be used within 2 years (I think, we never take that long to reschedule). Hope this was a good explenation and my math is correct. I hope you get the vacation time!

thanks for all of the information and advice. it looks like RCI and 3rd party insurances only pay out 75% if you cancel for a random reason, especially so close to sailing.

i really didn't want to leave everything to the last minute, but we've done it before (we once booked a vegas vacation on a friday and left five days later). i looked at cruises and flights for feb 20th of this year and it doesn't seem like too much of a price hike for waiting until three weeks out. so i think we'll probably have to wing it. it will at least be a fun and adventurous way to try RCI for the first time!

thanks again everyone!

If you are cancelling because you can't get vacation time for work, that sounds like it would fall under "cancel for work reason". Never tried it, but it would be worth checking if that also only pays out 75%. Also, if you keep it last minute, keep in mind that while a cruise may actually drop that close to sailing airfare may go way up.

I use insure my trip and the policy I have for our March Cruise includes cancel for work and will pay 100%. Last trip I bought insurance day one and had cancel for any reason at 100%. Now luckily I have never had to use the insurance but it is a good piece of mind item. For 2a and 2kids I usually still pay under $300 for the insurance. Just check around and read the different policies before selecting.