Legend - best Glacier Bay viewing ?

familycruzer

DH and I are in cabin 7349 and very anxious for our cruise. We hope to be able to see lots from this aft cabin. We are taking the Tracy exdcursion that picks you up at the ship in the afternoon so I am hoping we can use our aft balcony to see great glaciers and etc in the morning.

Have any of y'all seen whales from your balcony (aft or not). We are debating doing a whale watching excursion but wondered if we can get that from our own balcony.

Thanks for any tips and advice! We are really looking forward to it...

113 days!

We are sailing a few weeks after you, cabin very close to yours. Please post the Tracy Fjord excursion how it proceeded,advice etc. as we are also reserved for the 11:00 tour.

When were you able to book the Tracy Arm excursion? I know it's by email only and won't be available to book online.
It will not matter what "city" you select to access the Tracy Fjord excursion- they are all for the date you sail in Fjords-for our cruise it is Thursday. I sent email to company address below and told them I was interested in late morning as first preference, then afternoon, etc. but highest priority was all members of family in same boat. I included all carnival confirmation numbers for family members and their names.

It took a day or so, and received a confirmation back with time of excursion and to print it out. Hope this helps.

This was from carnival excursion site under details:

:

Once again, this is an exclusive seasonal excursion that, due to high demand, must be pre-reserved via email only . As this tour has limited capacity we ask that you contact us directly at: alaska_tracyarm@carnival.com, so that we may help coordinate your shore excursion tickets.

Please be sure to include the following in your email:

Sailing Date

Booking Number(s)*

Quantity of Adult tickets

Quantity of Child tickets

Requested Excursion Time: (11:00 AM or 2:30 PM)

Your Full Name, as it appears on your booking

*If emailing for mutliple Booking #'s, please provide exact quantity of tickets required for each.

I just booked May 2017 Alaska on the Legend. Half the cabins are taken already. So book now.

John Heald may do the May 8 sailing

I booked June, 2017 last month and all of the aft balconies are gone already---no price drop for me!

On the Crown Princess, we had a great balcony with a good overhang that kept us dry and watched the glacier calving from there. The Park Rangers had their descriptions broadcast on our TV, so we just propped the cabin door open so we could hear what they were saying.

It's an amazing sight and sound, so I understand the concern for a good viewing spot. Rather than getting jostled by the crowds on open decks, our balcony was just fine. I did wear layers starting with thermals because I was out there a while and even in August, it got cold. Hot chocolate tasted real good after the captain turned the ship around.

I'm going to bump this because I'm interested in learning of other photography experiences in Glacier Bay. How smooth is the ships motion within Glacier Bay? It's supposedly going slow to not disturb anything within the national park.

Can you use a tripod for decent photos, yes or no?

No motion at all, you feel like and it sounds like you are just drifting:D

DH and I are in cabin 7349 and very anxious for our cruise. We hope to be able to see lots from this aft cabin. We are taking the Tracy exdcursion that picks you up at the ship in the afternoon so I am hoping we can use our aft balcony to see great glaciers and etc in the morning.

Have any of y'all seen whales from your balcony (aft or not). We are debating doing a whale watching excursion but wondered if we can get that from our own balcony.

Thanks for any tips and advice! We are really looking forward to it...

113 days!

While you will probably see whales from the ship, I would recommend doing a whale watching expedition. We did one in Juneau and we saw a lot of whales much closer than we could have on the ship. We got a lot of great pictures of whale tails.

1137252156_Alaska2015-83.jpg.9c58ead301d2b2aa08d7deec6d496265.jpg

In 2012, we were in cabin 8162 and were able to see and hear just about everything from our balcony. We could hear the naturalist and took some amazing pictures of Glacier Bay, all from the comfort (and non-crowds) of our balcony! The ship slowly spins a 360 so everyone has a chance to see. We were pretty lucky that we were able to catch one of the few calving that happened just in the nick of time. So potentially, there could be some things you miss by not running around on deck. But there is so much to see, I doubt you'd be disappointed from your balcony.

We were the first sailing of the season that year, and it was still super cold! It was so convenient to be able to walk into the cabin to warm up, then back out again. Over and over again. :)

The other amazing thing about Alaska, in which I didn't expect - is that there is scenery practically your entire cruise and it is just right outside your door. I've never taken so many pictures in my life.

I've never uploaded anything to this site, so unsure if i'll be successful - but will try to upload one of my Glacier Bay shots...

IMG_2888.jpg.2ff867cba521b0456cdeec4b983993ca.jpg