NCL Getaway 1/31 - 2/14 B2B Week 1: Not so freestyle / Norwegians know how to queue

cavok

Your definition of lifestyle is really different than what it was meant to be. Freestyle used to mean..walk in, no reservations. You can still try to do that, but NCL is making freestyle a thing of the past.

Even years ago before the mega ships existed, you had no guarantee that a table would be available at 7:30 in Cagneys when you walked up. You might have to wait an hour or even two. So you could wait if you chose, or walk down the hall to another where you could get in immediately. That is Freestyle.

So if Freestyle is dead, how did our party of 7 walk up to the hostess stand on the Escape, during prime dining hours, ask for a table and be seated within 10 minutes or so? Why were there a multitude of seats empty at the start of every show we saw in the theatre? These seats are released at about 10 minutes before showtime and most were still empty when the show started. I see reports here weekly where people state they walked in to the comedy shows 10 minutes before showtime. I know the one we saw had empty seats.

Edited by punkincc

Thank you for taking the time to give us your thoughts on week 1 of your cruise.

I would have to agree with one of the other posters that said dont give up on NCL but try the smaller ships.

We have loved what NCL has offered us so far but I have to admit im a bit nervous about our first big ship cruise this October. No matter what, we will have a fantastic just preparing myself for a big difference.

I look forward to hearing what you have to say about week 2. Have fun

Even years ago before the mega ships existed, you had no guarantee that a table would be available at 7:30 in Cagneys when you walked up. You might have to wait an hour or even two. So you could wait if you chose, or walk down the hall to another where you could get in immediately. That is Freestyle.

So if Freestyle is dead, how did our party of 7 walk up to the hostess stand on the Escape, during prime dining hours, ask for a table and be seated within 10 minutes or so? Why were there a multitude of seats empty at the start of every show we saw in the theatre? These seats are released at about 10 minutes before showtime and most were still empty when the show started. I see reports here weekly where people state they walked in to the comedy shows 10 minutes before showtime. I know the one we saw had empty seats.

So because you were able to do that...everyone else who hasn't been able to is wrong.

This is a person's tr...let him have his post.

Edited by janpo

As you are solo, you are actually in a perfect position. One person is fairly easy to fit in, and you can be flexible. If you decide to go to a particular restaurant any night then you probably will be able to get in. You may have to wait a while, but that's OK, you just have to worry about yourself.

You will also have the option of attending the solo meet ups. The NCL rep there will arrange shows, meals etc which you don't need a reservation for. If you are happy joining these groups then you really don't need anything booked prior to your cruise. You usually sign up for these the day before.

Last time I cruised solo I had no restaurant reservations booked before boarding, but I ended up eating in speciality restaurants five times. Very easy.

Sorry, where did I say I was cruising solo?

Edited by MerDub

So it sounds like the only difference between NCL's Freestyle and a traditional cruise is that there's no set dining times in the MDR and you're not "forced" by the cruise line to dress up for formal night.

Anyways I guess we'll see what happens, I have no doubt we'll have a great time regardless, and hopefully we won't spend as much time queueing up as the OP :)

So it sounds like the only difference between NCL's Freestyle and a traditional cruise is that there's no set dining times in the MDR and you're not "forced" by the cruise line to dress up for formal night.

It could be said about the older ships that those are the main differences between freestyle and traditional cruises.

However, on the larger ships there is a much bigger difference in that there is more choice in entertainment. That's why I disagree with those that say that freestyle doesn't work on those ships. In my opinion that is the best thing about freestyle.

I'm sailing with a friend. And in the past I've sailed with my mum as well as extended family.

Again, I apologise if I got it wrong, although in both cases there should be nothing to stop people in such situations from utilising the benefits offered to solos.

I've seen people travelling with their parents as well as people travelling as friends at the solo meet ups.

That has nothing to do with Freestyle to begin with. Same thing happens if you go there on a ship that has traditional entertainment and you don't want to miss that night's show in the theatre.

On Breakaway you at least have the chance to see both on separate nights if that is what you want - you can't claim that you are flexible if you have too many things that you absolutely don't want to miss.

Wanting to do two things is too much? Good to know.

Wanting to do two things is too much? Good to know.

No, but blaming the system because you want to do two things and don't do the first one when it was available without overlapping with another is definitely not system's fault.

So because you were able to do that...everyone else who hasn't been able to is wrong.

This is a person's tr...let him have his post.

Yes, well, take your own advise.

I'm saying many people who say they could not do what we did, did not even try.

No, but blaming the system because you want to do two things and don't do the first one when it was available without overlapping with another is definitely not system's fault.

Do whatever you want on your own schedule as long as fits our predetermined regimented conflict-ridden timetable. FREESTYLE!

In case anyone is confused by the somewhat bizarre turn this discussion has now taken, I would like to clarify that freestyle doesn't mean, and never has meant, that you can turn up at a venue at any time you fancy to watch the show that you want to watch right at that moment.

:)

Although perhaps it does, but us Europeans just aren't let into the secret due to our fundamental misunderstandings of basic principles.

:)

we went on the getaway last week feb 2015, going again 2/21/16. i totally disagree as the UDP worked perfectly for everything. the only ala carte rst was Ocean; and its not that great, as I'm from new england and get real lobsters & clams & oysters anytime here.

we had virtually no lines, even for rst's with no reservations, they always got us in within 5-10 minutes. IMO they bent over backwards to make everyone happy, so much so, we rebooked for this FEB while still on the boat -we got all 4 options free, UDP, UBP, free gratuities, and $75 each excursion each port.

can wait to jump on again in 8 days