Overall Safety / Theft while on DIY land tour

CBBrew

We are pretty far along in planning the post-cruise portion of our Alaskan land vacation. The plan is 7+ land days with a loop from Anchorage-to-Anchorage thru Fairbanks and back down the Richardson Hwy to the Glen Hwy.....

If the opportunity presents itself to pull off the road and take a hike, will our vehicle (& its contents) be safe? How about when parked at trailheads (marked) or parks with a car full of luggage? What if we were to *gasp* have car trouble? How about safety at remote cabins (B&B's) overnight?

We currently have an SUV rented so the ability to hide everything in the trunk will be limited. I do suppose I'm asking more about theft of property (car window 'smash & grab') more so than our personal safety ... but yeah, I am curious about that, too.

The "seclusion" of this trip is definitely part of the allure, but potentially being alone (husband & myself) without cell service might get unnerving, so I thought I would ask the experts on this board (which I know there are many....).

Please don't just say "use common sense" - I get that; we are not inexperienced world travelers, but we ARE inexperienced Alaskan travelers.

Our car was broken into in a grocery store parking lot (in Costa Rica) and we were left for 4+ days with no luggage - - and it was mid-morning in a populated area!!! (not safe, but populated).

Everyone in Alaska that I have dealt with while making reservations has been so super nice but it only takes 1 bad seed....

Travel always has an element of adventure and risk-taking :) It seems that your Costa Rica experience has left you a little unnerved and anxious about it happening again; no-one can predict that.

Travel with a good road guide like the Milepost http://www.themilepost.com/, use well travelled roads, check on road conditions, and know where you are geographically. Know where gas stations are....

While you don't want to hear use "common sense" as a world traveler you know that being fully informed and having awareness of surroundings and people is your best protection.

Edited by Alaskanb

There is no answer. Certainly your car can be broken into. Alaska is isolated and you must be accepting of that with, visiting there. There is always, a small underlying risk.

There are a lot of areas, to hike that are far more busy, with less of the isolated break in potential. Perhaps= if you aren't comfortable, consider those instead.

• 4 weeks later...

I've driven up and down these highways, and cell phone service is something that you get when you get near a town. There is nice coverage of VHF repeater networks if you're into HAM radio, for emergencies. Alaska is a big place!