Bit of a Blog : Solstice : Auckland – Fremantle – Sydney : February 14th 2016

NorbertsNiece

DSCN8040.jpg

There have been many talks in the theatre. The naturalist on board is fantastic

DSCN8042.jpg

The 'art' has gone!!!! Wooohoooo!! Wonder for how long.....

DSCN8043.jpg

I've graduated to the larger cup for my cappuccino

DSCN8044.jpg

Have handed my passport in and now organising name badges for the CC lunch

DSCN8046.jpg

We are met at the entry to the dining room and taken downstairs.... totally unexpected plates of antipasti on each table

DSCN8047.jpg

Hi Linda. I am really enjoying reading your blog each day.

I have what is probably a very silly question to anyone who has ever cruised before, but as a complete newbie, this issue has me intrigued.

Why, on any of the invitations to events with the captain or officers, is there a section stating that handshaking is not advisable?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi Linda. I am really enjoying reading your blog each day.

I have what is probably a very silly question to anyone who has ever cruised before, but as a complete newbie, this issue has me intrigued.

Why, on any of the invitations to events with the captain or officers, is there a section stating that handshaking is not advisable?

Trying to reduce the spread of disease, particularly Noro virus.

Not silly at all. The standard way of greeting formally is to touch knuckles as opposed to shaking hands. It becomes second nature as does using knuckles to press lift buttons and holding a paper towel to open the door after using the public toilets. There's a lot of infection on board right now... people coughing everywhere into their hands..... don't want to be shaking hands with anyone let alone officers right now :eek:

Thanks for posting those pics of the production show.

I was particularly tired that night, but I'm so glad I went to watch - I loved it, well most of it. Some parts were a tad out of left field, but on the whole it was amazing, especially the aerials.

Oh, and, I'm blown away by all the food shots! Well I suppose it is a cruise :rolleyes: and it's all about the food - right :D

Thanks m'dear. Food shots are mostly to encourage GF cruisers that it's possible to still gain weight on a cruise!! I'm done with the MDR and will be testing out Bistro on 5, specialty restaurants and Oceanview over the next 2 weeks. Almost done with the pics for this cruise now..... 'sposed to be meeting up with Hannah from Rhapsody tomorrow....

Not silly at all. The standard way of greeting formally is to touch knuckles as opposed to shaking hands. It becomes second nature as does using knuckles to press lift buttons and holding a paper towel to open the door after using the public toilets. There's a lot of infection on board right now... people coughing everywhere into their hands..... don't want to be shaking hands with anyone let alone officers right now :eek:

Thanks Linda. I will definitely remember that when i finally get to cruise next year.

So here's the last bunch of pics for this cruise.

Cannot believe how fast this has gone.

DSCN8129.jpg

DSCN8130.jpg

Land ahoy

DSCN8131.jpg

DSCN8131.jpg

I went to a show in the Theatre this morning

DSCN8138.jpg

Two teams of two cruisers. First round the teams had to : grate cheese, peel potatoes, get rosemary off the stem and whisk up a meringue

DSCN8140.jpg

Second round one team had surf and turf ingredients and the other had barramundi...... 15 minutes to cook up a storm aided by chefs

DSCN8143.jpg

DSCN8144.jpg

Two of the tasting panel are from the CC roll call!!

DSCN8145.jpg

The Barramundi team used devious tactics to sway the vote.

DSCN8149.jpg

Votes were cast

DSCN8150.jpg

The surf n' turf team won

DSCN8151.jpg

Hotel Director John-Paul puts himself in the goal mouth

DSCN8152.jpg

It's been really choppy all day...... the solarium pool has been closed off

DSCN8153.jpg

DSCN8158.jpg

Not allowed to open pack containing new seapass card before returning to ship tomorrow

DSCN8159.jpg

I head up to deck 11 forward as described earlier and realise I have found my perfect spot on board. Was utterly alone in near silence with a view like no other. Just to be totally alone for a short while was really precious.

DSCN8161.jpg

Here's the map and itinerary for the cruise which starts tomorrow. Am meeting a friend made on a cruise last year tomorrow in Fremantle..... I think I may have scuppered her plans.... I have a watch battery to locate and fit and maybe sort out the screen on my mobile phone. Sigh.

Cruise2Itinerary.jpg

RouteMapcruise2.jpg

I was so happy to see they have a Dessert Section for GF. Amazing!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

So here's the thing...... each food 'outlet' has its own galley. Oceanview is definitely the place to go for GF desserts. In the MDR there is ALWAYS creme caramel on the menu. Cafe al Bacio has the same GF offerings daily so the novelty has well and truly worn off. When I see how much choice and variation others have there I get just a little frustrated.

How did you organise the Cruise Critic lunches in the Main Dining Room? It seems like a lovely idea, but I've never heard of people having that before.

A question about afternoon tea. Where did you go for it and was it served to you in the way that Princess Cruises serve afternoon tea?

Like many others here, I am loving to read and see your pictures each day. Thank you for spending some of your holiday time creating this blog. What a fantastic cruise you are doing! :)

Edited by Martin and Lindsey

So here's the thing...... each food 'outlet' has its own galley. Oceanview is definitely the place to go for GF desserts. In the MDR there is ALWAYS creme caramel on the menu. Cafe al Bacio has the same GF offerings daily so the novelty has well and truly worn off. When I see how much choice and variation others have there I get just a little frustrated.

I'm going to join the chorus of other grateful CC members here and thank you for all of your informative and interesting posts - love all the pictures too! We will be looking for the relaxation lounge on deck 11 when we sail on the Solstice in future.

I agree with you about gf desserts - particularly in the MDR. I'm not really a dessert person, and I don't like pudding or custard, so it's really limiting. I really did appreciate the effort of my wait staff to bring me something interesting every night, but my favourite was ice cream and fresh fruit! I liked the little cakes in the Oceanview cafe best of all - especially the black forest cake and coconut cake. On our next cruise, I think I will pass on dessert in the MDR and finish off dinner with a specialty coffee instead of dessert!

...and that crab cake on the MDR menu that you posted can be made gluten free - it's delicious!

Linda, we are looking into drink packages to see if, and which one, would be suitable for us.

On the Celebrity UK web page, it says that if you purchase the packages once on board, then the prices will be higher than if you prereserve them.

I have not read this on any of the drink package threads here on Cruise Critic.

Have you any knowledge about this or have you experienced it?

Keep up the brilliant blog. You have a great following of readers and we always look forward to reading the next installment. :)

How did you organise the Cruise Critic lunches in the Main Dining Room? It seems like a lovely idea, but I've never heard of people having that before.

A question about afternoon tea. Where did you go for it and was it served to you in the way that Princess Cruises serve afternoon tea?

Like many others here, I am loving to read and see your pictures each day. Thank you for spending some of your holiday time creating this blog. What a fantastic cruise you are doing! :)

CC Lunch : I reached out to Celebrity UK Customer Services by email months and months ago and started that conversation. Never sailed Princess so can't compare.

The Elegant Tea was in the MDR otherwise in Oceanview.

Linda, we are looking into drink packages to see if, and which one, would be suitable for us.

On the Celebrity UK web page, it says that if you purchase the packages once on board, then the prices will be higher than if you prereserve them.

I have not read this on any of the drink package threads here on Cruise Critic.

Have you any knowledge about this or have you experienced it?

Keep up the brilliant blog. You have a great following of readers and we always look forward to reading the next installment. :)

The only difference I am aware of is if you are booked in a different currency and there are fluctuations. I know on Royal they sometimes had boarding day offers.....

PS While I'm still online..... Thanks for reading along and for all the wonderful comments.....

Around 0715 disembarking started..... think I'll get up....

Edited by NorbertsNiece

I have really enjoyed reading every minute of your cruise blog and all the wonderful pictures. Thankyou so much for taking precious time out of your vacation to share with is all.

Will you continue the blog for the next leg of your journey?

I will be sailing on the Solstice next month Hawaii-Vancouver, our second time on this ship, all your pictures and comments have made me even more excited.

Happy sailing!

Bev

I have really enjoyed reading every minute of your cruise blog and all the wonderful pictures. Thankyou so much for taking precious time out of your vacation to share with is all.

Will you continue the blog for the next leg of your journey?

I will be sailing on the Solstice next month Hawaii-Vancouver, our second time on this ship, all your pictures and comments have made me even more excited.

Happy sailing!

Bev

Yes. Absolutely.

Surprised to still have internet as they said we'd be cut off at 0700. Heading out to take pics before going ashore.