New to Thomson cruising

No need to bring your own booze -the duty free shop onboard is cash n' carry, so you can take it to your cabin immediately.

There is usually a 10% discount on the second day of the cruise, so many passengers hold off buying until then.

Just bring on enough for one night's swally.

Finding bottles of Tonic Water is generally our biggest challenge - it's sold on the ship in 330ml cans if memory serves, however these are expensive in comparison.

Your cabin steward will supply ice on request - and you can "liberate" slices of lemon from the buffet, we've always been offered some if asked for.

We have found that when traveling in the EU they don't sell duty free onboard unless calling at a non EU port so any supplies:p have to be purchased in port. However I have been know to be wrong;)

You are correct Pensioncruiser. The onboard Duty Free shop is closed when in EU waters.

However, duty paid goods on shore in EU ports are often very competitively priced - we find Wine (and SOME Spirits) is now often as cheap in Spanish stores as in places such as Gibraltar where it is supposed to be Duty Free.

Edited by campolady

We are thinking about booking the Thomson Dream departing from Montego Bay, Jamaica, sailing to 2 ports in Columbia, one port in Costa Rica, and Panama, Someone mentioned the duty free shop is not opened in EU water, would it be opened in this part of the world? Please excuse my ignorance, we have never sailed with Thomson cruise before. Would it be cheaper to buy a couple of bottles of wine from their duty free shop, or should we buy them from the airport when we fly out? Anyone who could share more information about food, entertainment, and other handy tips regarding Thomson dream, please do so. Thank you in advance.

Can't recall if they do wine in the duty free onboard, you can purchase a wine package but that's for consumption at any time or place. Perhaps someone can help with the port duty free as I have only ever been from Barbados:)

Hi Devon Doll the duty free onboard in the Caribbean is very good and as WCM says they do special days. We are looking at the cruise you have booked but will be waiting till we come back from our next one, just a week on Sunday before we go but not counting:D

I think we shall take a bottle from Duty Free at the airport and any top ups as and when.

We go before you, a week today we will be in Barbados, off on Azura again for a couple of weeks. Presume you are on the Celebration as are a couple of friends.

Now back to the packing...........

We have found that when traveling in the EU they don't sell duty free onboard unless calling at a non EU port so any supplies:p have to be purchased in port. However I have been know to be wrong;)

Can't be many such cruises that don't deviate from a total EU itinerary ?

We've never been on one.

That's why Gibraltar is a default port of call - which is quite ironical because the booze there is even cheaper than the duty free onboard !!!

Can't be many such cruises that don't deviate from a total EU itinerary ?

We've never been on one.

That's why Gibraltar is a default port of call - which is quite ironical because the booze there is even cheaper than the duty free onboard !!!

Moroccan ports are not EU and these appear quite heavily on this Summers Thomson Spirit itineraries.

Hi Devon Doll don't know your ports of call on the Azura or your plans but if you are doing Antigua could I possibly suggest you, and anyone else, go to Nelsons dock yard as you may be lucky and witness the Atlantic rowers arriving, we did a few years ago and it was the most inspiring time in the Caribbean we have ever known just to see the competitors setting foot on dry land for the first time in months and being greeted by family and friends was not to be missed but that's probably just us and its a good visit anyway and the rum punch:p, we will for certain we going. Have a great holiday.:)

Thanks Pensioncruiser, no Antigua this time, but would agree it would be brilliant to see them arrive. Have been to Nelsons several times in the past so will be looking for something new next year.

Also in 2017, haven't been to Martinique or Guadalupe?? for years so looking forward to returning. We like to take local buses or taxis to find interesting places.

Can taste those rum punches already

The exception rather than the rule.

I'm curious as to which Thomsons cruises have had an entirely EU itinerary with no duty free.

One around northern Europe ?

There will be some this year from both palma and malaga, some past ones i can recall are the last repo for Spirit from cyprus to newcastle, 14 nights totally EU, Spirit round britain totally EU (But Louis are very enterprising and are prepared for it)

Edited by okavango