All things Sky / NCL for a newbie!

kelleigh229

Hello everyone, I'm very excited to be sailing on our first NCL cruise at the end of the month. For starters, it's my 40th and it's also a leap year so I don't see those birthdays that often ;) Traveling without our kiddos, so that's even more exciting!

I'd love to hear what folks have to say about the Sky and NCL in general. Any facts? any tips? any must see places / hidden things to do? Where is a great bar to sip a frozen concoction for sail away? Any not to miss activities / shows?

Also the cabins...I did read they have refrigerators, but do they have bathrobes?

Also, does anyone know when the last arrival is for a 5:00pm sailing? We have NO intention of getting down there that late, but a 4 hour drive to Miami after dropping our kids off at school - just want to be prepared if we get a flat tire and need to abandon our car on the side of the road! (totally kidding, but just like to be prepared!)

Anything you can throw at me in the next 15 days will be MUCH appreciated!! I of course will be pouring over every single thread I find in here as well. Must become an expert in a very short time!! ;)

Near the front of the buffet, mid ship, there is a little counter area where they were making fresh crepes to order right after sailaway. That was pretty cool little treat.

Captain Cooks bar had the best bartenders on the ship (at least for us it did).

If you board and the bars are busy, try going to the coffee bar near the shops. They are stocked with alcohol and can make most drinks.

The direction the fish are going on the carpet is forward. easy trick to remember where to go.

They do have waffles and omlette at the italian specialty restaurant, but lines were long. Could order same things fresh made in MDR. MDR breakfast was great in quality, service, etc. They will seat you near windows if you ask. MDR also open at embarkation if you don't want to fight the buffet.

Great observation deck on Deck 11 forward through Outriggers lounge. go all the way forward and there are doors to outside.

Plantation Club has great views, is the karaoke bar at night, and around dinner time they have an a la carte sushi menu if that is your thing.

Here is a list of drinks with photos/ingredients. Much more comprehensive than the bar menus

http://www.grantmkt.net/star/NCL_UBP_Favorite_beverages.pdf

Near the front of the buffet, mid ship, there is a little counter area where they were making fresh crepes to order right after sailaway. That was pretty cool little treat.

Captain Cooks bar had the best bartenders on the ship (at least for us it did).

If you board and the bars are busy, try going to the coffee bar near the shops. They are stocked with alcohol and can make most drinks.

The direction the fish are going on the carpet is forward. easy trick to remember where to go.

They do have waffles and omlette at the italian specialty restaurant, but lines were long. Could order same things fresh made in MDR. MDR breakfast was great in quality, service, etc. They will seat you near windows if you ask. MDR also open at embarkation if you don't want to fight the buffet.

Great observation deck on Deck 11 forward through Outriggers lounge. go all the way forward and there are doors to outside.

Plantation Club has great views, is the karaoke bar at night, and around dinner time they have an a la carte sushi menu if that is your thing.

Here is a list of drinks with photos/ingredients. Much more comprehensive than the bar menus

http://www.grantmkt.net/star/NCL_UBP_Favorite_beverages.pdf

thank you! Love the list!!

The Plantation bar makes great specialty martinis. I always felt that place is a well kept secret with great bartenders...never too busy around 7 during prime time before dinner.

The Sky is a fun boat without children...small but enough to do for the adults for a weekend. The private island is a lot of fun and we always tend to get overserved there, haha! Have a great time! Oh and happy 40th! My 40th comes later this year too!

Edited by Kdiamond55

The Plantation bar makes great specialty martinis. I always felt that place is a well kept secret with great bartenders...never too busy around 7 during prime time before dinner.

The Sky is a fun boat without children...small but enough to do for the adults for a weekend. The private island is a lot of fun and we always tend to get overserved there, haha! Have a great time! Oh and happy 40th! My 40th comes later this year too!

Thank you!! Good to know on the martinis...YUM!

I saw that Il Adagio was only an extra surcharge for dinner, but it's complimentary for breakfast and lunch?

I'm assuming because it's a short itinerary, there is no lobster night? Only assuming because that's what I've found on other cruises....

I saw that Il Adagio was only an extra surcharge for dinner, but it's complimentary for breakfast and lunch?

I'm assuming because it's a short itinerary, there is no lobster night? Only assuming because that's what I've found on other cruises....

correct on both.

Il Adagio has Waffles and Omelettes made to order for breakfast. At least on my cruise it was VERY slow. They would only take one order for one thing at one time. They make the same waffles and omelttes in the dining room. They make omelettes at the great outdoor cafe at the back of the buffet also, on both sides if I remember right.

Il Adagio is free pasta/pizza at lunch time. Did not get a chance to try it out.

No lobster night but I think lobster is available as a stand alone upcharge in the dining room.

No kids, your 40th and a Leap Year? I say make certain to pack some Tylenol and Tums!

We sailed Sky for the first time in December and I had done tons of research and was a bit concerned that we may have spent our cruise vacation funds on a product that would disappoint us. From the first 30 seconds stepping on board, I knew my fretting had been a waste of my time. We were familiar with the layout of the Pearl and the Jewel and it was similar which made moving from place to place easier. The Sky is a pretty ship with lots of wood. Make sure to take some time to wander around and look at the wood trim and the art details.

Captain Cook's Bar features a piano player most evenings. This is a good place to sit back with a glass of something worth sipping slowly and enjoying a laid back pace and people watching. It can be a little loud here if you are sensitive to louder noises though, as I am. If you don't see a place to sit, walk behind the piano and there are more seats on that side.

My husband and I had many a cocktail infused laughing fit while playing shuffleboard on the port side one deck above the pool. While the rules are posted on the wall, we made our own rules which made the game 100% more fun. I'm sure those who stopped to watch us play were scratching their heads at our antics. We also took advantage of the free use of golf clubs and practiced our swing while at sea.

When you get on the ship head straight back to deck 11 aft to the Great Outdoors and get your food and drink on. Yes, the buffet is much smaller than the one inside, but you will have multiple opportunities to eat throughout the day and seriously, how many combinations of servings of meat and carbs does one need just for lunch anyway? The bar is right there and usually has at least two bartenders working. Wide open views of Miami from your table and chair and you can park yourself there until the cabins are ready in complete contentment!!!

Have an awesome Birthday cruise!:D

I just re-read your original post. We were in an aft balcony and YES we had a refrigerator and it did keep our water bottles cold, not just cool. Also YES we had 2 robes in our closet. We were also concerned about our mattress being too hard. It wasn't, it was actually nearly perfect and I am a mattress snob.

I just re-read your original post. We were in an aft balcony and YES we had a refrigerator and it did keep our water bottles cold, not just cool. Also YES we had 2 robes in our closet. We were also concerned about our mattress being too hard. It wasn't, it was actually nearly perfect and I am a mattress snob.

thanks so much! and thanks for the well wishes too! Not a bad idea about tylenol and tums too ;)