Motion Sickness

BeadedGoblets

I use meclizine 25 mg (same ingredient as the non-drowsy Dramamine) and it works great. (It is an old drug that was once by prescription for vertigo.) I get it over the counter at the pharmacy for about $5 for 100 pills.

FYI - it also helps when you overindulge with liquid refreshments! ;)

Those patches gave me double vision. I hate them. I can get motion sickness when DH is buzzing around looking for a parking space. I use acupuncture seeds (helio seeds, they are awesome) sea bands, bonine and Dramamine. Sounds like overkill but I can cruise, or ride in a back seat with these.

Bonine, Dramamine or the prescription patches?

The doctor has offered prescription patches but I keep reading they don't really work..........

Go to Walmart, Rite aid, your local pharmacy or order off Amazon and ask for Meclizine (travel sickness pills). Several dosages and chewable. If you buy the Dramamine brand you will get a tiny package like the size of a roll of Lifesavers, compared to the bottle of Meclizine (100 pills I believe).

Another vote for Transderm Scop patches. I bring meclizine, too. I am very prone to motion sickness--almost any car trip over 45 minutes to an hour will leave me vomiting. I put on a patch about two hours before our flights, and replace it every three days until we're home. On our last cruise, there were some rough seas, and I had to use a meclizine, too, one night when the boat was rocking so much I couldn't sleep. It made me drowsier than usual, pairing it with a patch, but it was night time anyway.

I agree with others who have said they are thirstier when using the Scop patch, but that's a minor side effect and worth it for me. If you are particularly prone to motion sickness, I think it's worth get the prescription. If you aren't, then just having the meclizine with you in case you want it is probably sufficient.

I have used the patch. It works for me, but the vision thing is a pain. I have also tried everything else there is to try. The sea bands did nothing for me. My favorite is Cinarizina. (You should check with your doctor before taking any drug). I take 1/4 pill every 3-4 hours if it is rough. I can spread that out if we are in calm seas. If I take too much it makes me sleepy, but the 1/4 pill works perfectly. I use it on planes, ferries, cruises, you name it. Each person is so different. You really need to find what works for you by trial and error.

I haven't seen anyone cover this situation: I have always taken Dramamine (the original, I think) and it gets rid of nausea and I don't get sleepy. But it doesn't handle VERTIGO! I feel like my head is spinning unless I put it down and don't walk or move. I'm willing to try any med (no allergies) but will any of them help with this? I will be on a short cruise so if one thing doesn't work there won't be time to try another.

I haven't seen anyone cover this situation: I have always taken Dramamine (the original, I think) and it gets rid of nausea and I don't get sleepy. But it doesn't handle VERTIGO! I feel like my head is spinning unless I put it down and don't walk or move. I'm willing to try any med (no allergies) but will any of them help with this? I will be on a short cruise so if one thing doesn't work there won't be time to try another.

I think you should talk to your doctor. My mom gets vertigo sometimes (from menieres) and she has a prescription that helps.

Bonine(meclizine).. I get motion sick very easily.. I start taking it every evening before I go to bed about 2 days before the cruise, and every evening on the cruise regardless how I feel. I have the wrist bands but never helped me.. The only other thing that did was "motion ease" it can be harder to find, but it's by the motion sickness meds. It's a moisture of oils that you put behind your ear. It did help me somewhat when I had breakthrough motion sickness from the meclizine if the waters were rough.. Also suggest taking the Bonine a day or two after the cruise so you don't feel like you are moving..

Also suggest taking the Bonine a day or two after the cruise so you don't feel like you are moving..

That's what I do. I don't usually get sea sick on the ship but I feel like I'm rocking for a few days afterwards. The Bonine seems to help and I can take it at work without getting sleepy.