Caen Peace Museum of D DAy Beaches ?

CAnt decide. I am thinking for my husband and dad the beaches woudl be best but that the kids may find the information at the museum to be more meaningful.
Can you all give me some input ?

Jacqueline
Constellation 3/20/04
HAL Westerdam 7/30/04
Tahitian Princess August 2003
Grand Princess Western Caribbean 2003
Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002
Ocean Princess- Alaska 2001
Celebrity Zenith- Bermuda 2001
Grand Princess Med 2000

Why can't you do both? The museum is not that far from the beaches and cemeteries.

If you can only do one, I would choose the beaches and cemeteries. There are informative displays at both locations.

The museum is awesome, but it probably won't hold the kids' attention as long as the adults would enjoy staying. During our family trip, the cemeteries and beaches proved more interesting for kids. Mine absorbed the historical aspects and then had fun on the beach (we buried "hidden treasure" there, brought home some interesting shells/beach rocks, and frequently wonder if anyone's found our treasure!), rolling around in the grass, etc.--just being kids.

Do you have a good map? The other poster is correct. The distances aren't great--you should be able to do both the Peace Museum and a couple of the beaches, the American Cemetery, etc., in one day. That is very easy country to drive on your own, esp. if you invest pre-trip and plan your route on a Michelin map devoted just to the Normandy region. (Alternatively, go to the viamichelin.com site & create your own map.)

A different approach would be to hire a car and driver for the day.

Memories are long in Normandy. Americans are warmly received. There are many English speakers in case you need assistance. The countryside is beautiful--make sure you stop by a roadside apple winery stand for some fresh cider, apple wine and/or calvados!

next up: Celeb Millie - Med - 6/04, then a Nile cruise
RCI Mariner – E Carib – Holidays 03
RCI Serenade – Transatlantic – Maiden 08/04/03
Star Princess – Mex Riviera – Holidays 02
Dawn Princess – Alaska – July 02
NCL Star – Hawaii – June 02
RCI Rhapsody – W Carib – Holidays 01 (back2back)
RCI Explorer – E Carib – Holidays 00
NCL Sea – W Carib – Holidays 99

Driving in France is very easy with a Michelin map. Hertz rental cars are available right at the port entrance area. Address is 70, rue des Briquetiers which is l road S. of Blvd. Winston Churchill. This is right next to the train station. We have been to both the museum and the beaches. I would chose to go to the beaches first, but the museum is also excellent. You should have time for both.

Two years ago, we booked the museum-sponsored tour of the Normandy beaches and region. Before our designated time of departure, we toured the museum. The museum set up what we later saw on the tour and provided context. It was tremendously interesting and moving - one of the highlights of a trip, which had many highlights! I'd recommend seeing both, in this fashion.

Archived