Question about the Malaga Port......

renroc13

Has anyone been to Malaga before? I have not cruised there before but we have stayed in the area. We will be getting off the ship (ending our cruise) in Malaga and I was wondering what the port is like and how close taxis are? We were able to secure our Marriott Timeshare in Marbella for the week before we sail from Venice to Croatia the beginning of May. Since we will have to take our luggage off I was wondering what the port area is like. I believe it is the 2nd largest in the area but hope there are not many stairs to walk with luggage.

Thank You

Karen

Has anyone been to Malaga before? I have not cruised there before but we have stayed in the area. We will be getting off the ship (ending our cruise) in Malaga and I was wondering what the port is like and how close taxis are? We were able to secure our Marriott Timeshare in Marbella for the week before we sail from Venice to Croatia the beginning of May. Since we will have to take our luggage off I was wondering what the port area is like. I believe it is the 2nd largest in the area but hope there are not many stairs to walk with luggage.

Thank You.

Karen

We live near Malaga and have cruised from Malaga port on three occasions - the last being just 2 months ago.

The port is very modern and compact (just 2 floors) and there are elevators for people with mobility issues; when disembarking luggage is collected from street level so you will only have to carry hand luggage from the ship.

You will find many taxis parked immediately outside the terminal building so will only have one minutes walk after collecting your luggage.

Edited by campolady

The new cruise terminal facilities are wonderful. They are of 'world class' and are much superior to facilities you will find in many parts of the world.

Taxis in the region are 'regulated' and the prices to specific destinations are fixed and not metered.

While a taxi is certainly one option, I have made my way to Marbella by transferring to rental car agencies at the train station or even to the airport for the more frequent express buses. A set fare to the train station was 10 euro and to the airport was around 22 euro.

Your post seems to indicate you are in the area on two occasions though.

The port does have a website where you can see images of the very modern terminals. The turn-around Terminal A is very convenient and well run and organized.

http://www.puertomalaga.com/web/guest/terminal-cruceros

http://www.crucerosmalaga.net/terminala.php?idioma=en#2

Thank you both so much. We will be taking all of our luggage off since we will be getting off the ship 2 days before the cruise ends in Barcelona.

We will be continuing to Venice 12 days later for another cruise but were able to secure our Marriott timeshare for a week in Marbella. We have been there before and it is a lovely area. The plan for now is to disembark (and I don't believe there is any staff to help but I will check) in Malaga , spend 3 nights in Malaga and then the week in Marbella before flying to Venice.

Any suggestions as to the best area to stay in Malaga...hotels...old town?? Other areas??

We will rent a car on Friday and hope to be able to get one from the train station and drop it off at the airport. If not I will bring it back to the train station and take a taxi back to the airport depending on rental prices.

How far is the airport from the city center??

Thank you again...

Karen

Thank you both so much. We will be taking all of our luggage off since we will be getting off the ship 2 days before the cruise ends in Barcelona.

We will be continuing to Venice 12 days later for another cruise but were able to secure our Marriott timeshare for a week in Marbella. We have been there before and it is a lovely area. The plan for now is to disembark (and I don't believe there is any staff to help but I will check) in Malaga , spend 3 nights in Malaga and then the week in Marbella before flying to Venice.

Any suggestions as to the best area to stay in Malaga...hotels...old town?? Other areas??

We will rent a car on Friday and hope to be able to get one from the train station and drop it off at the airport. If not I will bring it back to the train station and take a taxi back to the airport depending on rental prices.

How far is the airport from the city center??

Thank you again...

Karen

Nowadays, we always stay at either the Hotel Molina Lario or Hotel Malaga Palacio when overnighting in Malaga - opposite each other in a great location right by the Cathedral

http://www.hotelmolinalario.com/en

http://ac-malaga-palacio.hotel-rez.com/index.htm?lbl=yh-en&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=RAH%20Exp&utm_term=Hotel%20Malaga%20Palacio&utm_content=Ac%20Palacio%20Malaga%20Exp%20161138. The Malaga Palacio seems especially popular with guests from the USA.

The city to airport drive takes about 15-20 minutes depending on traffic.

Edited by campolady

I always stay at the AC Hotel Palacio by Marriott. I like the connection to and from the port and the convenience of the bus to and from the airport. As a Marriott Gold member they usually give me a great 'Superior Ocean View Guest room, with Balcony.'

• 2 weeks later...

We are planning on going to La Malagueta beach during our day in port.

Can anyone advise the best way to walk there or should we take a taxi? (We are sailing on a small ship, the Windstar Star Breeze and I truly have no idea where she may dock.)

Any advice about the beach is greatly appreciated.

Edited by diane.in.ny

We are planning on going to La Malagueta beach during our day in port.

Can anyone advise the best way to walk there or should we take a taxi? (We are sailing on a small ship, the Windstar Star Breeze and I truly have no idea where she may dock.)

Any advice about the beach is greatly appreciated.

No more than a 15-20 minutes walk from your berth to Malagueta Beach which is situated just east of the port. Don't miss a fresh fish lunch at one of the excellent Chiringuitos that line the beach.

http://www.gostudyspain.es/Photos-Malaga_Malagueta_Palms.htm

http://www.visitcostadelsol.com/things-to-do/la-malagueta-beach-p20471

However, there is so much more to Malaga than the beach!

Edited by campolady

However, there is so much more to Malaga than the beach!

Yes ... I know there is as I've read other threads with info you've provided and they are great!

But my husband tires easily and at this point towards the end of our three week trip I'm not sure he'll be up to anything besides a quiet day at the beach. So wanted to have the information I need in case that turns out to be the case.

Looking at the HOHO bus in case he is up to doing more.

Yes ... I know there is as I've read other threads with info you've provided and they are great!

But my husband tires easily and at this point towards the end of our three week trip I'm not sure he'll be up to anything besides a quiet day at the beach. So wanted to have the information I need in case that turns out to be the case.

Looking at the HOHO bus in case he is up to doing more.

I perfectly understand - my husband tires very easily too so we generally look for lazier options in ports we cruise to. Have a wonderful trip. By the way, I have just posted the current Gibraltar taxi tour fares in response to one of your other posts on the 'Excursions In Spain' thread - hope it helps.

Edited by campolady