Best way to spend 5 days pre cruise in Australia???

kandd

If you are not sure you'll ever come back to Australia, I'd probably try for 3 days in Cairns to see the Great Barrier Reef. Yes, it is horribly hot there (but might not be that bad for you if you go to places like New Orleans a lot - quite similar in that 'i'm walking around under a hot wet blanket way').

The good thing about Cairns over Uluru/Ayer's Rock is that you could do a bit of snorkelling (in a stinger suit or wetsuit) on the Great Barrier Reef, which will be a lot cooler than walking around Ayer's Rock or just about anything else you do there. This watery aspect makes it a better choice.

If you do think you will come back to Australia, maybe leave this for another time and enjoy Sydney and surrounds. There is heaps to do in Sydney and it has excellent beaches.

I live in the yellow, and as much as I love it all and wish more people had the chance to explore it, it's simply too big, too remote, and too expensive.

If you could get even a few more days to see Cairns or Uluru it'd probably be worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yes unfortunately many Americans and Europeans have no idea how big Australia is. Add to that its remoteness. Most of the population is along the Eastern coastline. The centre of the country is unpopulated unlike that of other countries.

Even a trip to the nearby Blue Mountains out of Sydney is a full day trip preferably at least 10 hours if you do the full round trip through both Bilpin and Katoomba. Much more relaxing to overnight at the historical Carrington Hotel in Katoomba just 2 minutes from the train.

Also very close to the train is the newly restoreed Hydro Majestic Hotel at Medlow Bath with its stunning views.

Yikes, I didn't realize that. I was looking at a map of Australia last night and found the Blue Mountains outside Sydney but it seemed closer! Thanks for that bit of info, we have to consider if we want to make a long day out of this or not. We already have a place to stay in Sydney, unlikely we will do an overnight. Is the RT you are referring to by train?

thx

ML

98% of us live in the white part, 2% in the yellow.

Add this as another fun fact about Australia I didn't know. Lots of room for growth there :D

ML

Edited by NoWhiners

Yikes, I didn't realize that. I was looking at a map of Australia last night and found the Blue Mountains outside Sydney but it seemed closer! Thanks for that bit of info, we have to consider if we want to make a long day out of this or not. We already have a place to stay in Sydney, unlikely we will do an overnight. Is the RT you are referring to by train?

thx

ML

it's not a ten hour trip. By train it's about two hours, depending on time of day, which train, ie what stations it stops at etc.

But the area really does warrant at least a ten hour visit.

Add this as another fun fact about Australia I didn't know. Lots of room for growth there :D

ML

Much of that middle bit is pretty much inhabitable desert.

I once saw figures that showed that if every person on earth moved to Australia, it would be less densely populated than Tokyo City.

it's not a ten hour trip. By train it's about two hours, depending on time of day, which train, ie what stations it stops at etc.

But the area really does warrant at least a ten hour visit.

Now I understand--2 hour train ride each way, but a lot to see so it takes time. Thanks for clarifying that. Once there, can we walk and see everything or do we need a car? Just trying to be prepared.

Much of that middle bit is pretty much inhabitable desert.

I once saw figures that showed that if every person on earth moved to Australia, it would be less densely populated than Tokyo City.

I knew the part about the desert (I was just kidding about room for growth). Didn't know that if we all moved there, it would be less dense than Tokyo. Wow.

ML

Now I understand--2 hour train ride each way, but a lot to see so it takes time. Thanks for clarifying that. Once there, can we walk and see everything or do we need a car? Just trying to be prepared

ML

Depends on your fitness level, I believe they still offer a Hop On Hop Off bus, that goes to most of the places of interest.

Car, remember you'll be driving in the right (left) side of the road.

I knew the part about the desert (I was just kidding about room for growth). Didn't know that if we all moved there, it would be less dense than Tokyo. Wow.

ML

Population growth mean that is no longer strictly true, but as Tokyo is growing too it wouldn't be much different.

Think of it this way, what's Americas population. 330 Mill?

Australasia is 24 million.

The countries are very clse in size.

Depends on your fitness level, I believe they still offer a Hop On Hop Off bus, that goes to most of the places of interest.

Car, remember you'll be driving in the right (left) side of the road.

Well, that's good to know, thanks.

BTW, we drive on the right (right) side of the road!!:D Just stirring the pot here. I am very reluctant to drive in Australia--wrong side of car, road, and those roundabouts, ahhhhh!

ML

Edited by NoWhiners

Well, that's good to know, thanks.

BTW, we drive on the right (right) side of the road!!:D Just stirring the pot here. I am very reluctant to drive in Australia--wrong side of car, road, and those roundabouts, ahhhhh!

ML

Yep driving on the "Other side of the road" has never struck me as being fun.

Population growth mean that is no longer strictly true, but as Tokyo is growing too it wouldn't be much different.

Think of it this way, what's Americas population. 330 Mill?

Australasia is 24 million.

The countries are very clse in size.

World pop, 7.1 billion

Aust size 7.6 million sq km

So just under 1000 people per sq km if the whole world lived here.

Tokyo last figure I saw over 6,000 per sw km.

I love these facts! I think we are up to about 330 million, so plenty of room for us!! of course, there is that whole driving-on-the-wrong-side of the road thing:D

ML

The other side of the road thing is tough. We lived in Europe for a good number of years (we are Australians). It was ok over there but when we came home on holidays and relaxed, we would find ourselves driving on the wrong side of the road in Australia!

Roundabouts are generally ok, just give way to anyone already on them. However driving up in the blue mountains might be tricky unless you are used to narrow, winding roads. I'd probably train it and then use one of the buses to get to scenic world http://www.scenicworld.com.au/plan-your-visit/getting-here/

Yikes, I didn't realize that. I was looking at a map of Australia last night and found the Blue Mountains outside Sydney but it seemed closer! Thanks for that bit of info, we have to consider if we want to make a long day out of this or not. We already have a place to stay in Sydney, unlikely we will do an overnight. Is the RT you are referring to by train.

ML

Let me clarify. Firstly there is a difference in the way we Australians make use of the English language. So what i mean by trip is the length of the whole tour.

Katoomba is the main central town within the Blue Mountains. By car it is 1 hr 45 minutes from Sydney via the shortest most direct route and about 2hrs by train.

The base of the Blue Moutains begin near Penrith - about 1 hr from Sydney.

Most visitors take the direct route because the road (M4/Great Western Highway) is now multi lane and very easy to drive. However there are often accidents on the motorway closer to Sydney.

Because of the heavy traffic, tours generally leave the city by 8am and return by around 6pm or 5pm. Some terminate at Olympic Park and transfer passengers to a chartered ferry for a picturesque ride on the Parramatta river back to Sydney.

Most visitors go to the attractions around Katoomba, including Scenic World (bush walks,cable cars across the canyons, scenic railway - world steepest. 3 Sisters etc)

The drive up there is nothing spectacular.

There are many other attractions, eg Jenolan Caves (1hr 20 mins further) at the end of a very narrow windy road. Blackheath (45 mins further) with its grand view of the Grose River Valley is stunning.

The best way in my (biased) opinion is to travel by car (either self drive or tour) on a circle drive from Sydney through Windsor, Bilpin, Mt Victoria, Blackheath, Medlow Bath, Katoomba and then the direct way back to Sydney. And of course you will need to visit Leura as well:). This circle tour lets you see the real Blue Mountains, not just the attractions at the end of the road.

Hence, to justify a visit to the mountains, you need 2 days.

Also on the way is a fabulous wildlife park (can do separately) - Featherdale.

Let me clarify. Firstly there is a difference in the way we Australians make use of the English language. So what i mean by trip is the length of the whole tour.

Katoomba is the main central town within the Blue Mountains. By car it is 1 hr 45 minutes from Sydney via the shortest most direct route and about 2hrs by train.

The base of the Blue Moutains begin near Penrith - about 1 hr from Sydney.

Most visitors take the direct route because the road (M4/Great Western Highway) is now multi lane and very easy to drive. However there are often accidents on the motorway closer to Sydney.

Because of the heavy traffic, tours generally leave the city by 8am and return by around 6pm or 5pm. Some terminate at Olympic Park and transfer passengers to a chartered ferry for a picturesque ride on the Parramatta river back to Sydney.

Most visitors go to the attractions around Katoomba, including Scenic World (bush walks,cable cars across the canyons, scenic railway - world steepest. 3 Sisters etc)

The drive up there is nothing spectacular.

There are many other attractions, eg Jenolan Caves (1hr 20 mins further) at the end of a very narrow windy road. Blackheath (45 mins further) with its grand view of the Grose River Valley is stunning.

The best way in my (biased) opinion is to travel by car (either self drive or tour) on a circle drive from Sydney through Windsor, Bilpin, Mt Victoria, Blackheath, Medlow Bath, Katoomba and then the direct way back to Sydney. And of course you will need to visit Leura as well:). This circle tour lets you see the real Blue Mountains, not just the attractions at the end of the road.

Hence, to justify a visit to the mountains, you need 2 days.

Also on the way is a fabulous wildlife park (can do separately) - Featherdale.

cassamanda

Thank you for this post, it is very helpful! I do wish you Aussies would learn proper English, as in American English! :D OK, now that I have everyone's attention, we can move on! (I am totally kidding about this--I actually prefer British/Aussie spellings and usage).

It does sound like a great trip and we will give it hard consideration. One of us has volunteered to drive (on the wrong side of car, road, and roundabouts), but we are trying to avoid that! It does sound great and we are going a long way, so we should stretch our boundaries a bit and see if we can work Blue Mountains. Even if we wimp out and take a tour, it will still be great. And the rest of you will be safer on the roads!!

Thanks

ML

You might want to take out a map of Australia and look at the distances involved. Australia is the size of the Continental US. Think of Sydney as being Charlotte, NC. Ayer's Rock is a 3 hour flight, from Sydney. Great Barrier Reef is an almost 3 hour flight. Not out of the question, certainly. But you need to understand the size of things.

If I were to chose one of your options, I would go to the Great Barrier Reef for a couple of days.

I would suggest exploring Sydney and the area. Maybe Canberra (IIRC, a 3 or 4 hour drive).

I 100% agree with the first paragraph! This is a hue country and I would definitely describe this like asking someone "what to do in the US for five days".

Depending if you have five days of five nights (6 days), you could do a day in Sydney, then up to the Great Barrier Reef & stay on the Whitsundays for two nights, and then to Ayers Rock for two nights giving you one full day to do a sightseeing tour of Ayers Rock and The Olgas. You can fly to Ayers Rock so this easily be done. You won't see everything however you will see a preview of the reef and beautiful beach, Ayers Rock and the Olgas, and a bit of sightseeing around Sydney.

The other side of the road thing is tough. We lived in Europe for a good number of years (we are Australians). It was ok over there but when we came home on holidays and relaxed, we would find ourselves driving on the wrong side of the road in Australia!

Roundabouts are generally ok, just give way to anyone already on them. However driving up in the blue mountains might be tricky unless you are used to narrow, winding roads. I'd probably train it and then use one of the buses to get to scenic world http://www.scenicworld.com.au/plan-your-visit/getting-here/

Thanks for this info, could be just what we need. Too funny that even you had to adjust to driving on the wrong side of the road!

That would be my approach to roundabouts--just follow others. The only problem is getting off without causing a pileup! I just don't think my old brain could cope. I hate roundabouts (we call them traffic circles) here in the US and I know which side of the road to be on. I am a decent driver, grew up in NY outside the city, so I can deal with a lot of fast-moving, unpredictable drivers. But not wrong side of road and car, pretty sure I would wreck!

ML

cassamanda

Thank you for this post, it is very helpful! I do wish you Aussies would learn proper English, as in American English! :D OK, now that I have everyone's attention, we can move on! (I am totally kidding about this--I actually prefer British/Aussie spellings and usage).

It does sound like a great trip and we will give it hard consideration. One of us has volunteered to drive (on the wrong side of car, road, and roundabouts), but we are trying to avoid that! It does sound great and we are going a long way, so we should stretch our boundaries a bit and see if we can work Blue Mountains. Even if we wimp out and take a tour, it will still be great. And the rest of you will be safer on the roads!!

Thanks

ML

There are some great small group tours available but i am sure you could handle the roads. Our roundabouts are not huge and having driven in NY our driving habits are much the same:D. I just remember to keep the kerb on the passenger side.

Once you decide on the areas you want to visit we can suggest workable itineraries.

Hugh

Now I understand--2 hour train ride each way, but a lot to see so it takes time. Thanks for clarifying that. Once there, can we walk and see everything or do we need a car? Just trying to be prepared.

It's a good 30 mins down hill walk to Echo Point from Katoomba Railway Station. Echo Point has the lookout on all the Blue Mountains posters which shows the Three Sisters rock formation. From there you can do many different walks. Depending on your fitness level I would recommend the Giant Staircase, across the valley floor and back up via the Scenic Railway. It used to be the steepest something railway in the world or southern hemisphere I can't remember. From there you can do a return journey on the Sky Rail. After that you need to find your way back to Katoomba Railway Station.

It's a wonderful experience but you do need the whole day so start out early. If you don't think you're up to doing it on your own just book a day tour at your hotel front desk. It would certainly take the pain out of potentially having to walk the whole way back up hill to Katoomba Railway Station at the end of a long day :)

Edited by wishfulone

I'm an ex-pat American now living at the far end of the blue mountains.

I agree, most don't understand the sheer vastness of the country! Sydney is an awesome city, one of the very few in the world I really love. Spend a day exploring the Rocks, there is a lot of early history to discover. Take the Manly ferry across the harbour and enjoy the beach. Visit the museums and parks in the city centre. Take a rivercat up the parramatta river. Hop on any random ferry and see the harbour from the water. Go glamping on cockatoo island. See a show at the opera house, Capitol theatre, or packer theatre. There are so many things to keep you busy, a long trip elsewhere could be pretty exhausting and you'd miss a lot of a lovely city.

Do take a round trip to the mountains on the train - it's a lovely trip, especially if you go further than Katoomba and see the amazing views along medlow bath, bell, etc. It's three hours each way to Lithgow and back (end of the line, and the best views are in the last 45 minutes), but you could stop at Blackheath or somewhere along the way if you wanted to, or several stops for that matter. I'd personally avoid katoomba, too touristy and it's not close to much in the way of the natural beauty of the area. Wentworth Falls or Blackheath are nicer nature spots and cute towns with great bakeries. Leura is nicer for cafes and cute shops. Medlow bath station is directly across from the Hydro Majestic which has some of the most glorious views in the mountains.

Take a couple of day trips, the central coast is lovely and also accessible by train. South coast is stunning. Also accessible by train. Gorgeous views on most trains once you're out of the city.

Trains here are usually much more reliable and regular than anything you're used to in the US (unless you're in one of the rare cities with a public transportation system that actually works), and once you've scanned a travel card a certain number of times (10?) in the course of a week the rest of your travel is free. The same card works on city buses, ferries, trains etc so it's quite easy.

Spend the five days in Sydney or NSW region.

Australia is huge.

aust-usa-map.jpg

This!! I love it...

I'm also headed to Australia the same time the OP is going to be there, to join a ship departing out of Brisbane. I'm doing a few days pre-cruise in Sydney, and more days post cruise in Brisbane.

If I had the budget... and wanted to include Uluru and Cairns...I'd be leaving here around Christmas, and do it up right. but thats just my 2cents

There are some great small group tours available but i am sure you could handle the roads. Our roundabouts are not huge and having driven in NY our driving habits are much the same:D. I just remember to keep the kerb on the passenger side.

Once you decide on the areas you want to visit we can suggest workable itineraries.

Hugh

If you can drive in NY (I assume you mean the city), you can drive anywhere. I grew up in the Bronx so I know what it's like.

We will have to sit down with the friends we are travelling with and make a basic plan. We still have a year to do this so no hurry!

Thx

ML

Edited by NoWhiners

It's a good 30 mins down hill walk to Echo Point from Katoomba Railway Station. Echo Point has the lookout on all the Blue Mountains posters which shows the Three Sisters rock formation. From there you can do many different walks. Depending on your fitness level I would recommend the Giant Staircase, across the valley floor and back up via the Scenic Railway. It used to be the steepest something railway in the world or southern hemisphere I can't remember. From there you can do a return journey on the Sky Rail. After that you need to find your way back to Katoomba Railway Station.

It's a wonderful experience but you do need the whole day so start out early. If you don't think you're up to doing it on your own just book a day tour at your hotel front desk. It would certainly take the pain out of potentially having to walk the whole way back up hill to Katoomba Railway Station at the end of a long day :)

I got exhausted just reading about doing this! Our fitness is Ok but we don't run marathons or anything! And that walk up the hill sounds scary after a long day! But this sounds like a great way to spend a day. Thx.

ML

I'm an ex-pat American now living at the far end of the blue mountains.

I agree, most don't understand the sheer vastness of the country! Sydney is an awesome city, one of the very few in the world I really love. Spend a day exploring the Rocks, there is a lot of early history to discover. Take the Manly ferry across the harbour and enjoy the beach. Visit the museums and parks in the city centre. Take a rivercat up the parramatta river. Hop on any random ferry and see the harbour from the water. Go glamping on cockatoo island. See a show at the opera house, Capitol theatre, or packer theatre. There are so many things to keep you busy, a long trip elsewhere could be pretty exhausting and you'd miss a lot of a lovely city.

Do take a round trip to the mountains on the train - it's a lovely trip, especially if you go further than Katoomba and see the amazing views along medlow bath, bell, etc. It's three hours each way to Lithgow and back (end of the line, and the best views are in the last 45 minutes), but you could stop at Blackheath or somewhere along the way if you wanted to, or several stops for that matter. I'd personally avoid katoomba, too touristy and it's not close to much in the way of the natural beauty of the area. Wentworth Falls or Blackheath are nicer nature spots and cute towns with great bakeries. Leura is nicer for cafes and cute shops. Medlow bath station is directly across from the Hydro Majestic which has some of the most glorious views in the mountains.

Take a couple of day trips, the central coast is lovely and also accessible by train. South coast is stunning. Also accessible by train. Gorgeous views on most trains once you're out of the city.

Trains here are usually much more reliable and regular than anything you're used to in the US (unless you're in one of the rare cities with a public transportation system that actually works), and once you've scanned a travel card a certain number of times (10?) in the course of a week the rest of your travel is free. The same card works on city buses, ferries, trains etc so it's quite easy.

meamat

This sounds pretty good, thanks for your suggestions. I have been pasting everyone's ideas into a file and this will help us flesh out a Blue Mountains trip.

ML