Taxes, fees, and port expenses refundable?

WeatherFx

There were no perks when we booked. We boarded in Civiteveccia and disembarked the next day in Livorno.

The insurance cost, $98 each was not broken down, that's just what United added. It's door to door coverage. The cruise fare, not including taxes, was around $2500.

The European company used by Allianz for my on shore medical woes was super. I don't even know the amount of my hospital bill.

I've already received back over $2000, plus the hospital care, and I'm still working on my final submission- prorated cruise fare, extra hotel and transportation. This is a new experience for me, and I didn't realize I could submit medical and trip interruption separately.

If Allianz denies the fees and taxes, well, going back and forth with NCL will be a diversion when it gets too hot to be outside.

Thanks for recommendation. I normally purchase the travel insurance with the primary medical coverage as my regular medical insurance has a $5K deductible with 50% co-pay after that :( - and covers nothing out of network :eek:. I usually go with MH Ross.

Hi WeatherFx,

If you are not on Medicare you are better off getting a plan with Secondary medical because you have a large deductible and a copay.

Secondary coverage assumes you have other coverage that’s Primary. If you have no other coverage when you are out of network, Secondary, in effect, becomes Primary.

You can easily cause Primary medical to be treated as Secondary medical. The easiest way is to state on the claim form that you are covered by other insurance. You would submit your medical bills to your insurance first and whatever amount shows up on the Explanation of Benefits form gets paid by the travel insurance.

Also, Primary (aka “First Payer”) isn’t better than Secondary (aka "Excess") coverage, although it's often sold that way. The only difference is the order in which claims are paid.

I hope this makes sense.

Steve

I dont know if this info helps any but I was scheduled to go on a Sunday 4/3 cruise on NCL. My mom was ill the night of 4/2 and I called NCL first thing on 4/3 morning to cancel my cruise. I had insurance with AIG/ Travel Guard. NCL would not let me cancel claiming my travel agent had to cancel for me since I booked through them. They would consider me a no show if my agent did not contact them on 4/3.

I contacted my TA the next day since my TA was closed on Sunday and they canceled the cruise for me. NCL claimed my contract is with my agent and NCL's contract is with my agent but I dont have a contract with NCL (I dont agree with this but ultimately it didnt affect anything).

NCL has advised me that for no shows (which is what they consider me), they automatically send me a refund for taxes and fees as well as all gratuities for beverage and dining packages when you dont show for a cruise.

I filed my insurance claim online on 4/3 and sent all my paperwork to the carrier the day my mom was discharged from the hospital on 4/7. About 3 days ago, the carrier advised me that my claim was processed and approved. They stated that I would receive a refund minus the taxes and gratuities that NCL is paying me. If NCL did not refund me these fees, I need to contract them and they would make me whole.

• 1 month later...

A second email from NCL still failed to specifically mention fees/taxes. It was another condescending reminder that it was necessary to disembark me.

I wrote back asking for a letter specifically denying refund of unused taxes/fees.

They have exceeded their usual four weeks to reply, so I guess I'll go ahead and submit the claim to Allianz.

Our check from Allianz will cover final payment for our October cruise ...... on Princess. :)

Still interested in any examples of prorated fees/taxes being refunded by any cruise line for an interrupted cruise.