Taxes, fees, and port expenses refundable?

WeatherFx

Assuming you are before the final payment date, yes.

So are you saying if you are past final payment date, they are non-refundable if you cancel?

I know they're refundable before final payment as well as the entire cruise fare is. What I am asking, is after final payment, if I cancel, are taxes, fees and port charges fully refundable. I know the fare is not.

• Like 1

Assuming you are before the final payment date, yes.

So are you saying if you are past final payment date, they are non-refundable if you cancel?

I know they're refundable before final payment as well as the entire cruise fare is. What I am asking, is after final payment, if I cancel, are taxes, fees and port charges fully refundable. I know the fare is not.

As far as I know, port fees & taxes are always refundable. If someone misses the ship, they get them back.

• 4 weeks later...

Great. So now I need to request refund of fees, etc. from NCL. It took three months for them to credit our dining package back to our card. Am I correct presuming fees should have been refunded automatically?

Insurance is only required to make you whole. I knew that, but didn't even think about refundable fees.

(I'm still working on my claim because it took so long to rectify the onboard medical expense.)

OP, first and foremost, spend the extra to make sure you buy primary medical coverage. It will save time processing a claim.

OP, first and foremost, spend the extra to make sure you buy primary medical coverage. It will save time processing a claim.

Thanks for recommendation. I normally purchase the travel insurance with the primary medical coverage as my regular medical insurance has a $5K deductible with 50% co-pay after that :( - and covers nothing out of network :eek:. I usually go with MH Ross.

Thanks for recommendation. I normally purchase the travel insurance with the primary medical coverage as my regular medical insurance has a $5K deductible with 50% co-pay after that :( - and covers nothing out of network :eek:. I usually go with MH Ross.

My primary covered 75% of my onboard bill, and would have covered my hospital bill, minus my 20% copayment, had anyone asked.

Of course, all that changes when I hit Medicare in two years.

I think of our latest vacation disaster as a learning experience. For instance, travel insurance doesn't cover the refundable portion of the cruise fare. I am really cheesed that I've had to contact NCL about this four months after my medical disembark.

We will never recover the $4000 it cost to fly home on American because of the Lufthansa strike. United made us whole by refunding all our miles, fees, and money spent for extra leg room, so it's too bad for us. Had we been able to stay in Rome until United could get us out, our expenses would have been covered.

• 2 weeks later...

I sent NCL a reminder about port fees, etc.

Received this yesterday:

"While we sympathize with your situation and please understand that it is not our intent to cause any further distress, unfortunately, we are unable to offer compensation for the missed days of your cruise voyage. Please understand that guests who choose to leave the ship early for personal or medical reasons are not entitled to a cruise refund, as stated in our brochure and contract of passage. We hope you understand it would be inconsistent for us to make exceptions when other passengers have accepted these terms."

Really burns my biscuit. They also suggested that in the future I purchase insurance through them. If they make an exception for me, everyone would expect reimbursement.

I asked only for port fees/taxes, which should have been refunded without my prompting. Is NCL being deliberately obtuse? I'm not happy with the "tone" of their reply.

I sent NCL a reminder about port fees, etc.

Received this yesterday:

"While we sympathize with your situation and please understand that it is not our intent to cause any further distress, unfortunately, we are unable to offer compensation for the missed days of your cruise voyage. Please understand that guests who choose to leave the ship early for personal or medical reasons are not entitled to a cruise refund, as stated in our brochure and contract of passage. We hope you understand it would be inconsistent for us to make exceptions when other passengers have accepted these terms."

Really burns my biscuit. They also suggested that in the future I purchase insurance through them. If they make an exception for me, everyone would expect reimbursement.

I asked only for port fees/taxes, which should have been refunded without my prompting. Is NCL being deliberately obtuse? I'm not happy with the "tone" of their reply.

Seems to be the standard reply, I have seen other posts on CC that have made similar statements.

Maybe with this reply, you can submit it to your trip insurance company and now get reimbursed for the fees from them.

Seems to be the standard reply, I have seen other posts on CC that have made similar statements.

Maybe with this reply, you can submit it to your trip insurance company and now get reimbursed for the fees from them.

This ^

Obviously, those charges are indeed "non-refundable"; NCL just stated that.

Therefore, it should be covered by your travel insurance, assuming you have the type of coverage for "all non-refundable costs".

Well, according to earlier posts, taxes and fees are refundable. I know I've read somewhere that it's a legal thing.

I'll call the insurance company (again) and ask them.

Trying to get my claim finished after waiting months to get the onboard medical bill settled. NCL refused to provide any codes or doctor's notes (after two CSRs said they would).

Well, according to earlier posts, taxes and fees are refundable. I know I've read somewhere that it's a legal thing.

I'll call the insurance company (again) and ask them.

Trying to get my claim finished after waiting months to get the onboard medical bill settled. NCL refused to provide any codes or doctor's notes (after two CSRs said they would).

Why would you prefer the information from anonymous internet forum members about whether costs collected by NCL are refundable vs. what NCL themselves say?

Whether "keeping those charges" is "okay" or legal is a separate question.

There are other cruise lines that don't refund these, for example if a port is missed, whereas some cruise lines do automatically refund port fees in such a case.

Taxes might be different. IF you got an actual refund, then it would make sense that you should get the tax back, too.

But this isn't a "refund".

The insurance is reimbursing you for costs that were *not* refundable/refunded.

However, there might be laws about whether the taxes must be refunded or not in a case like this (which is not a refund of purchase price). You'd need to check with the relevant tax authorities.

Unfortunately, customer service reps are notoriously unreliable with the information they dispense (and not just at NCL).

They may be misinformed, guessing, or just giving any old answer to get off the call and on to the next call, so they keep their "number of calls per hour" up, etc.

Ask where the information is *written* in their terms, policies, etc., or get them to send you something in writing with the answer.

Otherwise, don't count on the accuracy of a verbal response from a phone rep, alas.

Note: In some cases (not sure with NCL), phone calls are indeed recorded, and mgmt will go back to listen to calls in cases of disputes.

I would not count on that with NCL.

I find that Cruise Critic members who have been refunded fees are a reliable source. Should it turn out that NCL considers taxes/fees non refundable, I will blast them.

My email to NCL specifically mentioned fees/taxes, yet NCL did not address that particular issue or even use those words. I replied that I'm well aware I don't get my fare refunded, and to please address the specific request.

Fees/taxes do not belong to the cruise line.

At any rate, I am so disgusted with their post cruise customer service, I'm not letting this go. Sometimes I think they operate in this fashion hoping we'll give up because it's too much trouble.

I learned to communicate in writing so there is a trail.

After being told on the phone that NCL would supply the needed medical information, I got an email from their legal department saying, Too bad- we don't do that.

I also let them know their port agent did not follow through with promises to be in touch, to help make arrangements after I was disembarked. Once I was in the ambulance and my husband in a taxi, that was it.

Anyway, once I get to my office, I'll call the travel insurance people.

I'm hoping to get my claim settled before our October vacation.

I find that Cruise Critic members who have been refunded fees are a reliable source. Should it turn out that NCL considers taxes/fees non refundable, I will blast them.

My email to NCL specifically mentioned fees/taxes, yet NCL did not address that particular issue or even use those words. I replied that I'm well aware I don't get my fare refunded, and to please address the specific request.

Fees/taxes do not belong to the cruise line.

At any rate, I am so disgusted with their post cruise customer service, I'm not letting this go. Sometimes I think they operate in this fashion hoping we'll give up because it's too much trouble.

I learned to communicate in writing so there is a trail.

After being told on the phone that NCL would supply the needed medical information, I got an email from their legal department saying, Too bad- we don't do that.

I also let them know their port agent did not follow through with promises to be in touch, to help make arrangements after I was disembarked. Once I was in the ambulance and my husband in a taxi, that was it.

Anyway, once I get to my office, I'll call the travel insurance people.

I'm hoping to get my claim settled before our October vacation.

I definitely understand your frustration and annoyance with NCL.

Trust me, we've had far too many "issues" with them...

However, with respect to the taxes (NOT sure about the port fees!), try to think about the difference between what happened and a "refund".

You didn't get a refund, so I don't think they need to give you a refund of the taxes. Indeed, that may not even be possible.

(Think of it as if you had a small appliance with a warranty, and it broke. You'd get a new one. But you didn't get a refund of the original purchase, so that sale remains, including the tax. I'm just making this up as a thought experiment, but it seems logical...?)

But the port fees? IF NCL is "charged" per person on board at the time they dock at a port, then you should get that back for the ports you were not on board.

But do they pay for the number of passengers who were initially on the original passenger list?

I have no idea.

We had a full cancellation 2.5 years ago, with a last minute medical emergency, less than 2 weeks before we were to leave home.

We NEVER GOT ON THE SHIP.

We did NOT get anything at all from NCL, but we got 100% back from our travel insurance (TravelInsured), including cruise/tax/fees/airline.

(Ah - I can't imagine the travel insurance companies routinely paying out money that "should have been" paid back by the cruise line vendor, so that might be telling...?)

I actually asked an InsureMyTrip rep about the port fees and taxes. He told me that it was refundable and did not have to be included in my nonrefundable total price.

I think your NCL rep may be misinformed. I also understand GeezerCouple's point about the taxes. You situation may be more complicated because you left midway through the cruise and that is not as straighforward.

If you purchased your trip through InsureMyTrip they will provide an advocate to help you deal with the insurance company, if requested.

My insurance rep shrugged (over the phone) and told me to include taxes/fees in my claim. She said they'd cipher out the prorated amount. She did not give me a definitive answer.

I never talked to an NCL rep, just reporting the snarky email I quoted earlier.

Maybe I should make a call when I have 45-60 minutes to wait for a live person. Or maybe I should contact their legal department, the fine folks who wrote to me that they were under no obligation to help me get the information needed for my medical claim.

We were on the ship a scant 24 hours, one night out of seven. Surely that's not $500 worth of taxes and fees! Had we cancelled 24 hours before sailaway, NCL would have refunded taxes and fees.

My insurance rep shrugged (over the phone) and told me to include taxes/fees in my claim. She said they'd cipher out the prorated amount. She did not give me a definitive answer.

I never talked to an NCL rep, just reporting the snarky email I quoted earlier.

Maybe I should make a call when I have 45-60 minutes to wait for a live person. Or maybe I should contact their legal department, the fine folks who wrote to me that they were under no obligation to help me get the information needed for my medical claim.

We were on the ship a scant 24 hours, one night out of seven. Surely that's not $500 worth of taxes and fees! Had we cancelled 24 hours before sailaway, NCL would have refunded taxes and fees.

We cancelled after final/full payment, in the 100% penalty phase.

We never left home.

Our travel insurance paid us 100% of the costs.

The cruise line refunded *nothing*.

Great. So now I need to request refund of fees, etc. from NCL. It took three months for them to credit our dining package back to our card. Am I correct presuming fees should have been refunded automatically?

Insurance is only required to make you whole. I knew that, but didn't even think about refundable fees.

(I'm still working on my claim because it took so long to rectify the onboard medical expense.)

Please come back and report on the outcome.

When I took out insurance policy I did not include the taxes, port fees, service fees for dining and beverage package with NCL. NCL told me they were refundable. I booked insurance through travel guard, purchased policy within 15 days of deposit so pre-existing condition also covered.

After reading these posts I called to have the dining and beverage package service fees and taxes and port fees added to the policy. Since these fees were always itemized on my bill the insurance company said if I add them to my cruise fare as "non refundable fees" I will negate the pre existing coverage portion of my policy. I initially only insured the cruise guest fare.

Furthermore, the insurance company said that if in fact these are considered non refundable fees that should I need to make an insurance claim and didn't properly list the non refundable fees that the claim would be denied.

All this hassle because the ncl rep on the phone said the din/bev service charge, govt taxes and port fees were refundable past final payment and that the only thing subject to no refund was the cruise guest fare.

I read the cruise contract and I don't see any specific mention of these items being refundable or not.

If you get a more specific answer from NCL regarding not refunding these fees I would love to know about it because I cant get anything specific from them. At this point I guess I should go ahead and add the DSC, spa pass purchase... to the fare if they are non refundable as well?

It's not about if I would get these fees back or not. It's about if someone had some significant incident that cost 50k or more and the insurance company refused a claim because I didn't include these minor fees.

NCL refunded our dining package and the one excursion we booked through them. It took three months, but we did get that back.

We always book our cruises through the airline and take their insurance. I suppose they have some kind of formula based on the cruise cost. The policy covers trip delay, medical, and trip interruption.

The one think I'll do different next time is make sure the medical is primary. My private insurance covered most of my onboard medical bill, but it took months because NCL wouldn't/couldn't provide medical codes.

NCL's customer service ended when the ambulance took me away. They promised help making arrangements and we got nothing. Regardless of cruise quality, they've lost us as potential passengers because of their horrible customer service.

NCL refunded our dining package and the one excursion we booked through them. It took three months, but we did get that back.

We always book our cruises through the airline and take their insurance. I suppose they have some kind of formula based on the cruise cost. The policy covers trip delay, medical, and trip interruption.

The one think I'll do different next time is make sure the medical is primary. My private insurance covered most of my onboard medical bill, but it took months because NCL wouldn't/couldn't provide medical codes.

NCL's customer service ended when the ambulance took me away. They promised help making arrangements and we got nothing. Regardless of cruise quality, they've lost us as potential passengers because of their horrible customer service.

Thanks and so sorry about your hassle. I called NCL rep again yesterday. I know the reps don't always know the right answers but I wrote down time and date of call just in case there is an issue. The rep told me that govt taxes, port fees, dining/bev service fees, dsc are refundable even after the final payment. She said that if I had purchased their insurance, they would only have me insure the guest cruise fare, not all the other refundable stuff.

The insurance company mandates that all non refundable fees are covered and if not they can refuse any claim, including a medical claim. I think it's best to over estimate the cruise amount.

I think where it can get tricky is in your case where you started the cruise. Some of the port fees, taxes, one night dsc, would be used so it would make sense these refunds were prorated. And perhaps port and taxes are only refundable up till cruise commences?

I guess it get a bit trickier now with the new setup of the perks. Say you are on a two or three week cruise. The free perks of dining and beverage package would include quite a hefty price now that you pay the service fees on those perks. Not to mention the taxes and port fees. Add all these extra fees and you can look at paying a lot more for insurance if included in no refundable fees.

The pre existing coverage waiver is the reason I purchased a policy months ago when I placed cruise deposit. I will lose that if I add to the cruise fare the taxes, port fees, and service charges. Should I need to make a claim I feel keeping the pre existing coverage outweighs the potential I won't get taxes and service charges back.

If you ever get a portion of the taxes and port fees refunded please report back. Good luck.