Half Moon Cay Clamshell

Perry1180

I am considering the possibility of a Carnival Cruise to Half Moon Cay.

When I read information, both here and online, I read about a Clamshell, on the beach at Half Moon Cay.

Then I watched a video, and figured it out.

Unlike Coco Cay or Labadee, there is no shade on the beach, palm trees, and would need to get one of these clamshells.

My question is, do you purchase one before you depart, or on the beach, and in addition, what is the cost?

I appreciate your help.

Half Moon Cay looks absolutely gorgeous.

Thank you.

You should be able to pre reserve them . If seen them in the excursion section of of the cruise personilizer.

Not with Carnival. You request one once you get on the island.

Only cabanas, villas, and the oasis are available to be reserved in advance through shore excursions online.

Edited by RDPDGX

The cabanas go quickly because there is a limited number of them, but not the clamshells- plenty of these available. You rent one right as you get to the beach area once you get onto HMC. There were lots of them still available on our cruise and we were late getting to the beach area.

Edited by bluehenfan

Does anyone know what the cost is to rent a clam shell?

Last price I saw was $20. Would not be surprised if the price went up again. Looks like the price of cabana rentals went from $299.99 to $279.99 since I reserved mine in August 2015.

Edited by RDPDGX

Last price I saw was $20. Would not be surprised if the price went up again. Looks like the price of cabana rentals went from $299.99 to $279.99 since I reserved mine in August 2015.

That should be $229.99 to $279.99.

I should not visit Cruise Critic until after I have been properly caffeinated.

Not with Carnival. You request one once you get on the island.

Only cabanas, villas, and the oasis are available to be reserved in advance through shore excursions online.

This was our experience in our three times there with Carnival. There is one rental booth to the left when you get to the beach. They rent the clamshells and other water gear (float mats, etc.) I believe there is another booth just past the Pirate Ship Bar. You get a slip and give it to one of the attendants on the beach who brings the bar necessary to prop it up. You can pick the location you wish that is available. Further down the beach tends to be quieter.

If there is only one ship in port that day, you should have no trouble getting a shell. Last time we rented one, it was still $20.

A tip - it can get warm in them because they can restrict air flow. There are many pieces of rock and coral just behind where they set up the clamshells. Get one or two and prop up the back. You still get the protection and get more air flow.

When we went there with HAL, they reserved in advance. We still had to go to the rental station. You can check the shore excursions after you book to see if Carnival is renting in advance. If so, just put down the choice for one guest. They are built for two and they expect two people to use them. But on HAL's site, if you put two they billed twice!

Great beach day; have fun if you go.