Enhanced customs procedures because of Belize.

robtx100

I have only read about terrible crime in that country. The tender ships have also had issues in the past. I never leave the port there. Do not feel safe unfortunately. This is from the state department.

"We encourage U.S. citizens to exercise caution and good situational awareness in all their travel activities,” the State Department recommends.

"Visitors should travel in groups and only during daylight hours. Avoid wearing jewelry or carrying valuable or expensive items.”

This is in Belize in general due to gangs and murders of Americans recently.

The cruise ships need to consider not going back there until security is improved dramatically.

I have only read about terrible crime in that country. The tender ships have also had issues in the past. I never leave the port there. Do not feel safe unfortunately. This is from the state department.

"We encourage U.S. citizens to exercise caution and good situational awareness in all their travel activities,” the State Department recommends.

"Visitors should travel in groups and only during daylight hours. Avoid wearing jewelry or carrying valuable or expensive items.”

This is in Belize in general due to gangs and murders of Americans recently.

The cruise ships need to consider not going back there until security is improved dramatically.

I have seen similar warnings for many different places. I find this fear about Belize odd, considering we have neighbors who spent a summer living there. My kids have described our cruise stop in Belize as the best day of their lives.

My parents actually got off a non-Carnival cruise this morning in Houston that had stopped in Belize and had no debark delays. It does seem to be common to have delays in debark after Belize cruises, at least in Galveston, but I don't know why.

My daughter got off NCL Dawn in NO this morning.

The ship visited Belize.

She was off the ship and on the interstate by 8:35.

Interesting...

The speed (or lack of speed) of customs is a matter controlled by US Customs - not the cruise companies. :rolleyes:

We are sitting in the platinum area for self debarkation waiting. We received a letter yesterday stating the debarkation will take loner due to our stop in Belize. Anyone know what that's all about? Been to BZ.

We've had delayed embarkation after a cruise returned from Belize. We were told that agents screened for drugs, which took longer than regular debarkation through customs.

The speed (or lack of speed) of customs is a matter controlled by US Customs - not the cruise companies. :rolleyes:

It is interesting that three ships that stopped in Belize arrived home today, and only one was delayed, supposedly because of Belize, but maybe it's a Galveston problem rather than a Carnival problem?

My impression is that "summersigh" was trying to make the point that their ship visited Belize also and didn't have the customs scrutiny, not that it was a different cruise line.

I wonder if the additional scrutiny is simply a spot-check type of thing. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

CBP treats cruises that call at Belize differently, I think it has something to do with the way Belize issues passports, or something.

Anyway, what may really cause delays is if someone has joined the cruise late, or left early (voluntary or otherwise), as this changes the way CBP clears the interview process, whether the ship goes to Belize or not, but if it did go to Belize, that would be another delay on top.

We also just got off the Carnival Magic, are platinum and did self-assist debarkation. I've been off the ship since 8:00 am and home since 9:05 am.

The time to debarkation was no longer than leaving the Triumph last month and it didn't go to Belize. The platinum waiting area was cleared by 7:45 am this morning.

Here are some of the photos I've already edited from Cay Calker, Belize.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10207747641076541.1073741865.1458902974&type=1&l=f57a74bbf1

Edited by BallFour4

It is interesting that three ships that stopped in Belize arrived home today, and only one was delayed, supposedly because of Belize, but maybe it's a Galveston problem rather than a Carnival problem?

This did not happen. I was off the Magic and in the car at 8:07am, home by 9:00am and left the same departure area in Northern Lights as the OP. The Diamonds went first from another area and we were gone.

The only variable would be is the OP didn't walk off with all their luggage as the four in my group did.

Edited by BallFour4

We are sitting in the platinum area for self debarkation waiting. We received a letter yesterday stating the debarkation will take loner due to our stop in Belize. Anyone know what that's all about? Been to BZ.

Galveston right?

Yeah all ships returning to Galveston regardless of cruiseline have enhanced measures. The main measure is, they scan your passport instead of just looking at it. Generally on the grand cayman itinerary, they only glance at US Passports. With cruises that stop in Belize, they scan the passports.

It doesn't necessarily take longer or delay disembarkation. I've been off quickly if I am one of the first off. It does take much longer for non US passport holders, and for people who are towards the back of the line getting off the ship.

Regardless of ship or whether or not they announced it, ALL ships get different treatment from when returning from Belize as compared to the other itinerary.

Edited by wreckem2013

We also just got off the Carnival Magic, are platinum and did self-assist debarkation. I've been off the ship since 8:00 am and home since 9:05 am.

The time to debarkation was no longer than leaving the Triumph last month and it didn't go to Belize. The platinum waiting area was cleared by 7:45 am this morning.

Here are some of the photos I've already edited from Cay Calker, Belize.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10207747641076541.1073741865.1458902974&type=1&l=f57a74bbf1

It's not allowing me to see the pics, would live to see them as we are looking at going to Cay Calker

Galveston right?

Yeah all ships returning to Galveston regardless of cruiseline have enhanced measures. The main measure is, they scan your passport instead of just looking at it. Generally on the grand cayman itinerary, they only glance at US Passports. With cruises that stop in Belize, they scan the passports.

It doesn't necessarily take longer or delay disembarkation. I've been off quickly if I am one of the first off. It does take much longer for non US passport holders, and for people who are towards the back of the line getting off the ship.

Regardless of ship or whether or not they announced it, ALL ships get different treatment from when returning from Belize as compared to the other itinerary.

Just back yesterday from Valor with stop in Belize. Customs agent just looked at our passport. Really wish fewer ships would go there.

We've had delayed embarkation after a cruise returned from Belize. We were told that agents screened for drugs, which took longer than regular debarkation through customs.

Probably all those senior citizens buying cheap ****** LOL. Does the government not have anything better to do? This is how they nailed Rush Limbaugh (not a fan, BTW) several years ago.

The comment was fine, but why the eye roll?

I think most of us know that understand that the cruise companies run the debark on their ships.

But I was saying that the op was still waiting to get off the ship while I knew that my daughter had debarked from another ship and was more than an hour down the road.

And had debarked from a ship that had also called on Belize, which was why the op was told that his debark was being delayed.

Hopefully he is well on his way home by now.

And have a nice day :rolleyes:

My impression is that "summersigh" was trying to make the point that their ship visited Belize also and didn't have the customs scrutiny, not that it was a different cruise line.

Thank you. That is exactly what I was trying to say.:)

Oh, I am mzloolue,

summersigh was the eye roller.

Edited by mzloolue

The comment was fine, but why the eye roll?

I think most of us know that understand that the cruise companies run the debark on their ships.

But I was saying that the op was still waiting to get off the ship while I knew that my daughter had debarked from another ship and was more than an hour down the road.

And had debarked from a ship that had also called on Belize, which was why the op was told that his debark was being delayed.

Hopefully he is well on his way home by now.

And have a nice day :rolleyes:

The eye roll was about standing in long lines at customs - sorry if you took it otherwise. Ships can only begin disembarking when cleared by government sources and the lines there only move as fast as the customs agents present work.

The eye roll was about standing in long lines at customs - sorry if you took it otherwise. Ships can only begin disembarking when cleared by government sources and the lines there only move as fast as the customs agents present work.

Oh yes, we had this happen in Galveston.

We got off the ship when our zone was called and were in the middle of a horrible long line.

Somehow we ended up behind some people who were having a problem with customs.

And we eneded up being the last people to walk out of the terminal.

Last car in the parking lot.

And did not have enough time to get home that day as we had planned.

Now we self debark.

And have not been back to Galveston.

Hello everyone. Made it off the ship and in the car by 8:05. I was just curious because we received a letter in our cabin yesterday stating the debarkation would be delayed because of our stop in Belize. We were not delayed at all.

They did have face to face interviews yesterday per John Heald on the Freedom upon debark, delaying embark for the new set of passengers, perhaps they knew it was coming but maybe not which ship or all of them? Per John:

US Customs and Border Protection are doing what is called face to face checks with each guest getting off the Carnival Freedom today so embarkation has yet to start

Hopefully it will start soon and meanwhile the wonderful embarkation staff are taking great care if the guests

I am on my way to help

Cheers

Drugs and crimes are the problem. They might pick and choose which ships have enhanced checks at debarkation.

Back in 2012, the Liberty was back from Belize and the B2B guests weren't processed by customs until after 9am and customs didn't clear the ship for debarkation as early as usual. We we waiting for the next cruise at 10am. It was 1230 when VIP lounge was told boarding would happen in a few. The lounge was completely full by 1030am and any suite/Platinum/Diamond guests who came in after had to wait in the main lounge area

I hope this isn't the case for next week when I sail on the Freedom. If debarkation is slower, no worries. I learned from the last Galveston sailing to get off the ship ASAP because the Non-US citizen line for customs was a total disaster--90 minutes to wait to clear and oddly enough, there was FIVE groups of people ahead of me....yes, 90 minutes for FIVE passport checks....90 minute wait and it took all of two minutes for the agent to clear me.....If I didn't pack so much stuff, I would do self assist...but I do, so take Tag #1 instead.

Drugs and crimes are the problem. They might pick and choose which ships have enhanced checks at debarkation.

Back in 2012, the Liberty was back from Belize and the B2B guests weren't processed by customs until after 9am and customs didn't clear the ship for debarkation as early as usual. We we waiting for the next cruise at 10am. It was 1230 when VIP lounge was told boarding would happen in a few. The lounge was completely full by 1030am and any suite/Platinum/Diamond guests who came in after had to wait in the main lounge area

I hope this isn't the case for next week when I sail on the Freedom. If debarkation is slower, no worries. I learned from the last Galveston sailing to get off the ship ASAP because the Non-US citizen line for customs was a total disaster--90 minutes to wait to clear and oddly enough, there was FIVE groups of people ahead of me....yes, 90 minutes for FIVE passport checks....90 minute wait and it took all of two minutes for the agent to clear me.....If I didn't pack so much stuff, I would do self assist...but I do, so take Tag #1 instead.

Yikes, People! Please don't blame Galveston. I live less than a mile from the port. Sometimes, just go and watch debarkation. Personally, have seen more activity on a ship returning from Belize. Have even seen divers under the ship. Drugs! Pure and simple, and sometimes just the bad luck of the draw. We have been on that cruise, ourselves. We leave, self assist, and since we over pack, always, we bring bungie cords to make that easier. Hope you enjoy the Freedom, that will be our next cruise. Personally have never been on that ship, little leery as smaller than used to, but wanted to try something different, as have been on all others leaving from this port. Have a great cruise!!:)