Freestyle gone too far?

gerry1.10

With few exceptions, you should always remove headgear when indoors.

Can someone explain this to me? I have seen so many people here on CC and in other places online mention that they consider it improper to wear a hat in certain locations, and I can't for the life of me understand why.

I'm not looking for just "well, it's disrespectful". I understand some people feel that way and that's perfectly fine; I'm just wondering if there is any logic or reasoning behind this sentiment. Is there something specific about a hat that offends people?

Not picking on the person I quoted or anyone else who said wearing hats indoors was disrespectful. I'm legitimately curious what some folks find rude about a person wearing a hat indoors.

Edited by zuke2323

Can someone explain this to me? I have seen so many people here on CC and in other places online mention that they consider it improper to wear a hat in certain locations, and I can't for the life of me understand why.

I'm not looking for just "well, it's disrespectful". I understand some people feel that way and that's perfectly fine, I'm just wondering if there is any logic or reasoning behind this sentiment. Is there something specific about a hat that offends people?

Not picking on the person I quoted or anyone else who said wearing hats indoors was disrespectful. I'm legitimately curious what some folks find rude about a person wearing a hat indoors.

It's basically traditional social etiquette.

http://emilypost.com/advice/hats-off-hat-etiquette-for-everyone/

I'm not looking for just "well, it's disrespectful". I understand some people feel that way and that's perfectly fine; I'm just wondering if there is any logic or reasoning behind this sentiment. Is there something specific about a hat that offends people?

It is tradition. Quite simply a headcover is to protect the head. If you are wearing one indoors, you are imply you are not safe from the elements in the building. It is the same with a coat. A coat would be removed upon entering, otherwise you are implying your host cannot keep the building warm or you don't plan on staying long. A jacket is different than a coat and would continue to be worn, a dinner jacket, suit coat (which is really a jacket), uniform jacket, etc.

Posted at the door of many military bars, "Enter wearing your cover, buy the bar a round".

We used to start counting, quietly at first and getting louder. If we got to 10 then it was a round for the whole bar (duty bodies excepted of course).

I tell my students that "Gentlemen do not wear hats indoors" and "baseball caps are for the baseball park, not the classroom".

Fining students beers would probably not go down well with the college authorities...:rolleyes:

I'm with you. At leaset one of MDR's should have some "restrictions" in regards to clothes

If I want to Dine "lazy" I go to the Garden Cafe.

Or to the other complimentary restaurants like O Sheehans, Cincin, and the other less "formal" dining room where I have worn shorts (appropriate ones) on embarkation days

Thank you for understanding my point completely unlike some others (see above).

Cheers

Edited by gerry1.10

It is tradition. Quite simply a headcover is to protect the head. If you are wearing one indoors, you are imply you are not safe from the elements in the building. It is the same with a coat. A coat would be removed upon entering, otherwise you are implying your host cannot keep the building warm or you don't plan on staying long. A jacket is different than a coat and would continue to be worn, a dinner jacket, suit coat (which is really a jacket), uniform jacket, etc.

Interesting. Thank you!

Or to the other complimentary restaurants like O Sheehans, Cincin, and the other less "formal" dining room.

Thank you for understanding my point completely unlike some others (see above).

Cheers

I, for one, fully understand your point, I just view it differently than you do. Freestyle is about not being told how to dress so I have never understood why one MDR was more "formal" than the other. I will wear my suit to dinner if I choose to and it doesn't matter to me what anyone else is wearing:).

Interesting. Thank you!

Most welcome. Also these outer garments are "dirty", so they should be removed while indoors. Just like in most Asian cultures you remove your shoes upon entering a home.

Of course, restaurants and such are not without blame in this. Nicer establishments had a coat check for hats and coats while diners and such would have a coat rack near the door.

Getting the wrong coat would then be the set up for a comedy or drama in a tv show or movie.

I, for one, fully understand your point, I just view it differently than you do. Freestyle is about not being told how to dress so I have never understood why one MDR was more "formal" than the other. I will wear my suit to dinner if I choose to and it doesn't matter to me what anyone else is wearing:).

Pretty simple. It gives people choices. Dress down if you wish in one dining room or opt for a nicer ambiance in another dining room. Personal preference, but if you advertise one MDR being a nicer dress code then it should be enforced.

Has freestyle gone too far? Well, my spouse and I have just returned from a 10-day Caribbean cruise on the Gem. On one of the sea days, we were enjoying a very peaceful, relaxing morning sitting in the shade on two lounge chairs up on deck 13. Our tranquility was shattered when a woman sat down next to us and proceeded to CLIP HER TOENAILS, right there on the deck. Clip, clip, clip, drop, drop, drop... Gross!!

My spouse politely asked her to do her personal grooming in her cabin. She replied that she was free to do whatever she wanted, wherever she wanted. She then took out an entire pedicure kit and began opening the smelly nail polish remover. My spouse spoke to her again. She finally moved away.

If we play by the "I don't care what other people wear" rule that so many espouse here, why should people care about this? Shouldn't people bothered by this also "mind their own business" or "get a grip"? Where do the "who cares" people draw lines? Shirtless in the dining room? How does someone eating without a shirt upset you? I know shirtless isn't the same as shorts. No need to point that out. But where do we draw lines? Why am I not allowed to be reasonably bothered by someone wearing a hat while eating? We live in a civilized society. Chip chip away at decorum and we're all shirtless in the dining room.

Pretty simple. It gives people choices. Dress down if you wish in one dining room or opt for a nicer ambiance in another dining room. Personal preference, but if you advertise one MDR being a nicer dress code then it should be enforced.

I understand that but what I don't understand is why NCL advertises one MDR as having a nicer dress code, both MDRs should be the same. We all have choices under Freestyle as it is- if you want to dress up you may, if you don't want to dress up you don't have to. As I said, if I want to dress up I do and don't care if everyone else is or not.

I understand that but what I don't understand is why NCL advertises one MDR as having a nicer dress code, both MDRs should be the same. We all have choices under Freestyle as it is- if you want to dress up you may, if you don't want to dress up you don't have to. As I said, if I want to dress up I do and don't care if everyone else is or not.

The word you should focus on is "ambiance", as in the overall character and atmosphere of a place.

Although I have never been affected by what someone was wearing on any of my cruises, I could understand that other may be bothered and there should be some form of dress code. I can guarantee that if my fat butt walked in with a speedo and a t-shirt that said "i shaved my balls for this" I can certainly guarantee it would bother many people. And this is always a perfect opportunity to post one of my favorite pictures i have seen from this fantastic cruise forum.

<a href=cm1.jpg' alt='cm1.jpg'>

I truly don't understand how someone else wearing a hat, capris, shorts, jeans, flips-flops or a tight/short dress or skirt has ANYTHING to do with your meal?? When I'm in a restaurant, I'm focused on my wife and talking/relaxing with her. Who cares what other people have on?? Now if you stink, that's a different story...

Although I have never been affected by what someone was wearing on any of my cruises, I could understand that other may be bothered and there should be some form of dress code. I can guarantee that if my fat butt walked in with a speedo and a t-shirt that said "i shaved my balls for this" I can certainly guarantee it would bother many people. And this is always a perfect opportunity to post one of my favorite pictures i have seen from this fantastic cruise forum.

<a href=cm1.jpg' alt='cm1.jpg'>

If nothing else, you have to give her props for being brave enough to wear it. Considering it is a family environment, she probably should have been asked to put something else on.

I truly don't understand how someone else wearing a hat, capris, shorts, jeans, flips-flops or a tight/short dress or skirt has ANYTHING to do with your meal?? When I'm in a restaurant, I'm focused on my wife and talking/relaxing with her. Who cares what other people have on?? Now if you stink, that's a different story...

I try to put myself in other peoples shoes. You say that a smell could bother you. It would probably not bother me. I work with terrible smelling cleaning agents with my 2nd job. Engaging other peoples sight has engaged their mind and is making them think about things like. "They feel disrespected that they adhere to rules and others disregard them." or that "people should accept social norms."

IMHO I can understand the want to have at least one venue where dress code is enforced. It is nice to gaze around a room and see people in nice suits and fancy dresses. It adds an experience to dining.

If nothing else, you have to give her props for being brave enough to wear it. Considering it is a family environment, she probably should have been asked to put something else on.

Yes, She has bigger balls then I do. :eek: I have to give her props for that :p

Keep in mind the Getaway currently does not advertise one MDR as being more formal. Neither does the Escape. In the dailies they are advertising and enforcing the more formal dress code only in Le Bistro and Ocean Blue (for Getaway) or Le Bistro and Bayamo (for Escape).

Edited by Mistizoom

Keep in mind the Getaway currently does not advertise one MDR as being more formal. Neither does the Escape. In the dailies they are advertising and enforcing the more formal dress code only in Le Bistro and Ocean Blue (for Getaway) or Le Bistro and Bayamo (for Escape).

If that is the case, and I don't doubt you, they need to reconcile that with what they put on the web site. (Good luck with that though) :D

I try to put myself in other peoples shoes. You say that a smell could bother you. It would probably not bother me. I work with terrible smelling cleaning agents with my 2nd job. Engaging other peoples sight has engaged their mind and is making them think about things like. "They feel disrespected that they adhere to rules and others disregard them." or that "people should accept social norms."

IMHO I can understand the want to have at least one venue where dress code is enforced. It is nice to gaze around a room and see people in nice suits and fancy dresses. It adds an experience to dining.

As far as the smell, there is no excuse. You should not be out in public places like that smelling. That's just basic decency.

I complete disagree about the clothes. How does what other people wear "add an experience to dining"?? Again, I will never understand why people care what other people are wearing. Of course most people spend way too much time and energy caring about what other people think about them anyway.

As far as the smell, there is no excuse. You should not be out in public places like that smelling. That's just basic decency.

I complete disagree about the clothes. How does what other people wear "add an experience to dining"?? Again, I will never understand why people care what other people are wearing. Of course most people spend way too much time and energy caring about what other people think about them anyway.

I have eaten dinner with formal dress (tuxes for men and gowns for the ladies) and it does give a dignified air to the proceeding. Food didn't taste any different, though:).

Has freestyle gone too far? Well, my spouse and I have just returned from a 10-day Caribbean cruise on the Gem. On one of the sea days, we were enjoying a very peaceful, relaxing morning sitting in the shade on two lounge chairs up on deck 13. Our tranquility was shattered when a woman sat down next to us and proceeded to CLIP HER TOENAILS, right there on the deck. Clip, clip, clip, drop, drop, drop... Gross!!

My spouse politely asked her to do her personal grooming in her cabin. She replied that she was free to do whatever she wanted, wherever she wanted. She then took out an entire pedicure kit and began opening the smelly nail polish remover. My spouse spoke to her again. She finally moved away.

That is just plain ol' nasty!