Dailies for Norwegian Gem 2016?

Girlygirljn

Hi all! My boyfriend and I are going on the 10 day cruise from NY to the Caribbean on March 2nd. I have seen people post their dailies from 10 day cruises on the Gem before but they were from 2015 before the refurbishing and other changes. Does anyone who went on this cruise in January or February have copies of their families they can scan in? Would love to see what entertainment and new fun things are in store. Also if anyone has any feedback on some of the excursions through the ship, especially in San Juan and St Maartan, would be a big help! Xoxoxo

countdown.pl?image=Beach-2&name=Girlygirljn &date=3-2-2016&text=&ship=Norwegian Gem

Hi all! My boyfriend and I are going on the 10 day cruise from NY to the Caribbean on March 2nd. I have seen people post their dailies from 10 day cruises on the Gem before but they were from 2015 before the refurbishing and other changes. Does anyone who went on this cruise in January or February have copies of their families they can scan in? Would love to see what entertainment and new fun things are in store. Also if anyone has any feedback on some of the excursions through the ship, especially in San Juan and St Maartan, would be a big help! Xoxoxo

countdown.pl?image=Beach-2&name=Girlygirljn &date=3-2-2016&text=&ship=Norwegian Gem

Both St. Maarten and San Juan are great places where you can easily get off on your own and have fun.

San Juan - I think you dock near the old city. Ask a local where you can get good "Mofungo". Also check out the fort. It's all walking distance.

St. Maarten - there's a beach right next to the dock and shopping. You can get a cab to the French side for food, or the Orient Beach, which be warned has both clothed and nude sides, so if you are scared of the nudies make sure you go to the right side! There's also a shopping district on the French side that a cab can take you to.

I wouldn't recommend wasting money on excursions at those stops.

Edited by Ktuluorion
d

Also looking for recent Gem dailies. We are on the 2/21 cruise and was hoping to check them out.

I apologize that I did not save the dailies from my Jan. 22 cruise. I thought about it, but it seemed like work and I was on vacation. Also, our dailies were affected by the severe weather, with some activities cancelled or rescheduled.

On our cruise, there were several different trivia tracks. There is a regular morning and evening trivia, and also progressive trivia. Don't know if you are into that.

I can also tell you this: There are daily lectures in Pulse Fitness on two themes -- (1) lose weight/increase energy/improve metabolism (purpose of the talk is to explain that your body is acidified and to sell you a detox system consisting of very expensive algae that is purported to cause your body to heal itself to achieve those health goals), and (2) improve posture/decrease back pain/joint pain (purpose of the talk is to sell an orthotic. By the way, they will let you borrow it for a day without cost. If you don't return it, $199will be charged.) Don't worry if you miss the lecture one day, because they do these almost every day.

Let's see, what else? Bingo, art auctions... Occasionally there was afternoon entertainment in the Theater. Music on the pool deck in the afternoon... We often had ballroom-type music in Spinnaker from 7:15 to 8pm, and at 8:15the cruise director staff would host a game show (e.g., Newlywed Game). Karaoke in some form or other was almost every day, sometimes twice a day.

I was onboard on February 1st and took pictures of the activities on days 3-10 to carry with me throughout the day so I would know where I wanted to be and when. I think I still have the photos on my phone but not sure that I can post them.

Carol posted most of what we did. We met Carol and her husband on the cruise through our roll call. We played trivia together.

To be honest except for bowling in Bliss which is gone, most of the activities were the same and even at the same times. I had brought the old dailies with me to compare and found that to be true.

Entertainment changes except for the production shows. They have been the same for a few years.

Both St. Maarten and San Juan are great places where you can easily get off on your own and have fun.

San Juan - I think you dock near the old city. Ask a local where you can get good "Mofungo". Also check out the fort. It's all walking distance.

St. Maarten - there's a beach right next to the dock and shopping. You can get a cab to the French side for food, or the Orient Beach, which be warned has both clothed and nude sides, so if you are scared of the nudies make sure you go to the right side! There's also a shopping district on the French side that a cab can take you to.

I wouldn't recommend wasting money on excursions at those stops.

Thanks for the suggestions! Hope you don't mind some more questions...

San Juan: any areas to avoid? What is mufongo? I've heard of it never had it. Also heard empanadas are amazing there and cheap. We are thinking of doing something in the rainforest in San Juan or the cuisine and history walk. Are they not worth it?

St Maartan: how long does it take to get to the beaches in the French side? Just don't wanna worry about transportation back to the ship if we can help it

I was onboard on February 1st and took pictures of the activities on days 3-10 to carry with me throughout the day so I would know where I wanted to be and when. I think I still have the photos on my phone but not sure that I can post them.

If you can find a way to post them please do! Would be much appreciated!

Carol posted most of what we did. We met Carol and her husband on the cruise through our roll call. We played trivia together.

To be honest except for bowling in Bliss which is gone, most of the activities were the same and even at the same times. I had brought the old dailies with me to compare and found that to be true.

Entertainment changes except for the production shows. They have been the same for a few years.

I'm curious as to what the crowd will be like on this ship. I'm hoping not too many kids because I'd like for us to meet other people on there to share stuff. Did you meet people through this site? How was entertainment?

In honor of winner jjikids, I remembered now to recommend the trivia game "Last Man Standing" that was held in the Atrium (toward the end of the cruise, I forget which day). That was a lot of fun.

By the way, with regard to the "art auctions" -- they are not really auctions. Each piece has a very high reserve price, almost the same as the "retail" price. The auctioneer might start the bidding low, but the high bidder does not win because the top bid is not nearly high enough. And TIP: Don't invest any energy in accruing raffle tickets for a "free work of art." The cost to ship the "free art" to your home is $35. They do not store the "free art" on the ship. Free champagne, though, so there is that.

I liked the entertainment, especially Tenors of Rock. I also like World Beat, even though I have seen it before on Gem several years ago.

Girlygirl, have you checked on a Roll Call for your cruise? And if so, has your Roll Call arranged a Meet & Greet? That is how some of us met each other.

Edited by Carol++

I apologize that I did not save the dailies from my Jan. 22 cruise. I thought about it, but it seemed like work and I was on vacation. Also, our dailies were affected by the severe weather, with some activities cancelled or rescheduled.

On our cruise, there were several different trivia tracks. There is a regular morning and evening trivia, and also progressive trivia. Don't know if you are into that.

I can also tell you this: There are daily lectures in Pulse Fitness on two themes -- (1) lose weight/increase energy/improve metabolism (purpose of the talk is to explain that your body is acidified and to sell you a detox system consisting of very expensive algae that is purported to cause your body to heal itself to achieve those health goals), and (2) improve posture/decrease back pain/joint pain (purpose of the talk is to sell an orthotic. By the way, they will let you borrow it for a day without cost. If you don't return it, $199will be charged.) Don't worry if you miss the lecture one day, because they do these almost every day.

Let's see, what else? Bingo, art auctions... Occasionally there was afternoon entertainment in the Theater. Music on the pool deck in the afternoon... We often had ballroom-type music in Spinnaker from 7:15 to 8pm, and at 8:15the cruise director staff would host a game show (e.g., Newlywed Game). Karaoke in some form or other was almost every day, sometimes twice a day.

Sorry to hear about your cancelled/rescheduled activities! Hope your vacation was still fun and relaxing.

What were some of the main shows in the theater? I remember last time I went on the gem there was acrobats and a comedian.

Any game shows at night? Group games like scavenger hunt or newlyweds? And I'm intrigued by the lectures in the gym any other info on that?

In honor of winner jjikids, I remembered now to recommend the trivia game "Last Man Standing" that was held in the Atrium (toward the end of the cruise, I forget which day). That was a lot of fun.

By the way, with regard to the "art auctions" -- they are not really auctions. Each piece has a very high reserve price, almost the same as the "retail" price. The auctioneer might start the bidding low, but the high bidder does not win because the top bid is not nearly high enough. And TIP: Don't invest any energy in accruing raffle tickets for a "free work of art." The cost to ship the "free art" to your home is $35. They do not store the "free art" on the ship. Free champagne, though, so there is that.

Thanks will keep that trivia night in mind. We like some trivia and bingo might do those sometimes. Would consider the art auction just for free champagne as long as you don't HAVE to bid.

Also if anyone has any feedback on some of the excursions through the ship, especially in San Juan and St Maartan, would be a big help!

We were on the Feb. 1 sailing. Old San Juan is very doable on your own, no excursion is needed. It's a small, compact area. We did our own walking tour, headed first to El Morro and then to San Cristobal. We had a fabulous mofongo lunch at Raices, and then stopped at Barrachina for piña coladas (it's where they were invented in 1963) before heading back to the ship. (Mofongo is a fried/mashed plaintain, typically "stuffed" with a protein like beef or fish. We'd never had it before and absolutely loved it.)

This was our first visit to St. Maarten, and we did a tour with Bernard's Tours, which is really highly rated here on Cruise Critic, and with good reason. It was a wonderful day. An island tour, but with 90 minutes at Orient Beach and then some time at Maho Beach to watch the planes land.

There is tons of info about these ports on the Ports of Call/Caribbean boards.

PS re the entertainment on board, which you also asked about. Tenors of Rock were fantastic. The other headliners, not so much. A great deal of talent, but tedious shows because the peformers talked too much and did not perform that much. As for the production show "World Beat," we'd seen it twice before, it was terrible both times; we'd forgotten we'd seen it when we went the second time, but we remembered not to go this time. :) YMMV. The band New Generation was quite talented.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mofongo is some good reading on Mofongo.

We haven't run into any issues in PR in old town. Just be smart like anywhere.

I believe the French side and beaches were 45 mins away or so and cabs were plentiful and readily available.

You can always do excursions if you want, I'm just saying there is plenty to do easily without the upcharge in those islands.

There are also nice beaches in the New city of San Juan by cab.

If you want to go to the beach on the Dutch side of st. Martin it is walking distance from the port.

Mofongo is a delicious meal. Just mashed plantains with meat, chicken or seafood.

Easy to walk around San Juan. There is a free trolley that takes you around. There is a stop right near the pier.

San Marten we also did Bernards. They charge $40 for the regular tour and $45 for the extra hour at the beach tour. Great tour and they went all over the island.

Yes we had a magic show, comedian, Second City Troup, acrobats. We loved the production shows even after this being the third time on the Gem. There also were all the games such as Newleywed, Scavenger, crazy golf, etc. We only went to see who would bid on the art on display. Champagne not worth it but fun if you have nothing else to do.

You also get signatures on activity cards for each time you play any games. At the end, you redeem for corny NCL souvenirs such as tee shirts, mugs, pens. We got three little key chain flash lites.

There are also raffles each day for different things with no purchase necessary.

Last year I won a topaz necklace.

This year I won a bottle of wine at the Latitudes party.

We also played a Deal or No Deal. No big prizes but fun to see people trying to win more and ending up with nothing.

Mofongo is a delicious meal. Just mashed plantains with meat, chicken or seafood.

Easy to walk around San Juan. There is a free trolley that takes you around. There is a stop right near the pier.

San Marten we also did Bernards. They charge $40 for the regular tour and $45 for the extra hour at the beach tour. Great tour and they went all over the island.

Yes we had a magic show, comedian, Second City Troup, acrobats. We loved the production shows even after this being the third time on the Gem. There also were all the games such as Newleywed, Scavenger, crazy golf, etc. We only went to see who would bid on the art on display. Champagne not worth it but fun if you have nothing else to do.

You also get signatures on activity cards for each time you play any games. At the end, you redeem for corny NCL souvenirs such as tee shirts, mugs, pens. We got three little key chain flash lites.

There are also raffles each day for different things with no purchase necessary.

Last year I won a topaz necklace.

This year I won a bottle of wine at the Latitudes party.

We also played a Deal or No Deal. No big prizes but fun to see people trying to win more and ending up with nothing.

Wow I feel stupid I've gone on several Norwegian cruises now and never knew about the signatures to get prizes! When we went on the Breakaway in 2013 they had deal or no deal but unless you got called it seemed like you most likely didn't win. I like bingo better I think I'm a grandma at heart 😛

I've heard good things about Bernard's and saw cost was a lot cheaper than through the cruise for anything but my BF feels better if we do the cruise excursions so we are guaranteed to get back on time...

How was second city?

I've heard good things about Bernard's and saw cost was a lot cheaper than through the cruise for anything but my BF feels better if we do the cruise excursions so we are guaranteed to get back on time...

How was second city?

Re Bernards: obviously, no one can make you a promise that any tour operator won't have an unexpected and very rare problem. But if reputable private tour operators ever failed to get a group back to their ship on time, it would be all over the internet and that would pretty much be the end of their business.

We've watched Second City several times now on different ships, including a couple of weeks ago on the Gem, and walked out every time. Just don't find them funny at all. YMMV.

Edited by Turtles06

Wow I feel stupid I've gone on several Norwegian cruises now and never knew about the signatures to get prizes! When we went on the Breakaway in 2013 they had deal or no deal but unless you got called it seemed like you most likely didn't win. I like bingo better I think I'm a grandma at heart 😛

How was second city?

Bernards is great. They always ask what ship you are on and what time you sail. With their excursions ending at 1:30 or 2:30 there was no trouble getting back by the 4:30 sail time.

We have tried Second City on two previous cruises. Same jokes so didn't go this time.

Bernards is great. They always ask what ship you are on and what time you sail. With their excursions ending at 1:30 or 2:30 there was no trouble getting back by the 4:30 sail time.

We have tried Second City on two previous cruises. Same jokes so didn't go this time.

I looked on Bernard's website just wanna clarify...which tour did you do or which would you recommend?

Re Bernards: obviously, no one can make you a promise that any tour operator won't have an unexpected and very rare problem. But if reputable private tour operators ever failed to get a group back to their ship on time, it would be all over the internet and that would pretty much be the end of their business.

We've watched Second City several times now on different ships, including a couple of weeks ago on the Gem, and walked out every time. Just don't find them funny at all. YMMV.

I think Second City used to be funny I remember seeing them years ago with older people and I know plenty of comedians got their start in Second City but the people they have in the group now just aren't as good? Will probably still give them a shot on this cruise

I looked on Bernard's website just wanna clarify...which tour did you do or which would you recommend?

We did number one which did not include swiming time. We are not beach people. that is the only difference between the tours.

We returned to the ship before 2 PM.

They do not charge your credit card ahead of time. I did not have Paypal. I emailed that and shortly after Bernard called me for my credit card for the $5 hold.

The day of the tour we paid cash but credit card is acceptable. We also tipped the driver who was so informative. I read many reviews on a Trip Advisor and they were all true.