Moped/Scooters?

216Cruiser

Sorry if this is often asked but I looked through the first 5 pages of topics and didn't see anything.

Do you need the special temporary drivers permit that I've read about, to rent one or is that just for cars and Jeeps and such?

And B.

Do you recommend renting one? My goal is to get away from the big crowds, take a nice ride over and up to Rum/Starfish Point and just be able to stop wherever I want along the way to sight see, take pictures and mess around. We will be in port from 7a-4p.

I also considered taking a water taxi over but can't seem to find any concrete information on that either.

Thanks!

Edited by 216Cruiser

There is no water taxi to Rum Point. I haven't hear of any company that rents scooters, although there may be some. Not a terribly popular thing to do there, although I would imagine it could be fun once you were out of town. It's an easy island to get around, by car at least. And very beautiful as well.

this is my opinion and often construed as an aunwanted editorial but

I STRONGLY discourage renting mopeds/scooters in the islands (and Key West). I've seen WAY too many folks end up with emergency room visits or worse

Even if you are an experienced 'rider' you are faced with

underpowered equipment, often in poor repair with very limited brakes

driving on the LEFT + pedestrians and other visiting drivers and riders that forget you are driving on the left

local driving "customs" plus in some islands narrow roads, animal life, poor road conditions and "crazy island drivers"

a thin layer of sand over all driving surfaces that makes it like riding on ICE much of the time

and then let's add the factor of a few drinks to the equation .... even if not for YOU, it should be expected for everyone else you see.

A car or jeep offers INFINATELY more protection!!!!!!!

Every year a handful of folks die riding these things

The organization I worked for eventually proscribed renting motorized two wheeled transport at any "liberty port" due to the high number of injuries being sustained by the crews.

end of editorial

Edited by Capt_BJ

My recommendation against renting scooters (or convertibles) is based on practicality. The sun is hot, and visitors tend to burn easily when they're not used to it. Also, rainstorms, while generally short, can still happen unexpectedly and soak you and your belongings.