Stuck Out!

tboonie

No you'll keep your cabin and will only get bumped if they really need the cabin and the sailing is under occupancy restriction. I've done this several times and never had an issue. But keep in mind that you can get bumped later but it's very rare.

Edited by ATL_Miami_Cruiser

As Lace said, you don't have to tell them and reduce the tips to 1 person onboard. They will be considered a no show and the port taxes and fees will get refunded. How far out from sailing are you? If you are really far out, you might want to have them cancel so they can get some of their fare back. If you are close to sailing, just have them be a no show. I don't think that you will get bumped from a Suite.

Edited by cruiser fanatic

If the other party cancels doesn't the remaining passenger have to pay double anyway?

I would definitely do some math before I talked to Carnival.

I agree with you. Anyone traveling solo on Carnival has to pay 2 cruise fares, plus any applicable penalties. If the OP is not booked with Early Saver and is before the final payment date, then it would probably be equal to cancel vs. no-show.

OP, you say that you sail in May, but when in May? And how long of a cruise? You say that you're paid in full, but has the final payment date passed yet? Are you Early Saver or not? This info will help with our advice as to what to do.

If you are passed the final payment date, then there will be penalties for cancelling. You would have to pay that penalty PLUS 2 cruise fares. If you are booked with the Early Saver rate, there are penalties even if you are before final payment. That penalty would have to be paid PLUS 2 cruise fares. That's why many people advise that you do a no-show. You would end up paying more to cancel as opposed to doing a no-show, if there are penalties. With a no-show, the taxes/fees portion will get refunded afterwards. If there are no penalties, then cancelling would = no-show. Either way will work equally in the end. Cancelling just gets you the taxes/fees back sooner. But again, that's only if there are no penalties.

In regards to getting bumped, I wouldn't worry. You are in one of the highest categories there is. You had 2 people booked into a 3-person room, so you were just as likely to get bumped with 2 people as you are with 1. However, if you get bumped, you would get moved to either another Ocean Suite or a Grand Suite, which is a bigger room & bigger balcony, so that would be a win for you.

I would let them know now.

Keith

Why? From what I've read, there is no advantage to doing this. In fact it's a disadvantage. The sole cruiser gets charged a single supplement (double the cruise fare) and the person who cancels still does not get anything back except port charges, resulting in Carnival collecting three fares. If they just show up at the port and tell Carnival then, the port fees for the second passenger are refunded and no extra charges apply. So they do pay for two, but not three.

I could be wrong, I've never experienced it personally, but that is what I've read over and over on these boards when the topic comes up (frequently). Just curious to know why you think it's wise to tell Carnival now?

Edited by E&B