London to Southhampton

PoppyandNana

Unlike Atlanta or even LAX, you will need to allow sufficient time to go from one terminal to another at LHR. Although we had a shared private transfer, we noticed that Celebrity had separate coaches going to the various terminals at LHR.

We were in London last June. Spent two days there and then went to the Ship.

We utilized SBL Travel which did a fantastic job. The cost from London to Southampton and then back to Heathrow after the cruise was $240 US.

For us there was no hassle at all. They met us at the hotel and when we came off the ship they were there waiting. They handle the luggage and provided great service.

Sometime the cost is worth the ease of transferring.I look at it as a percentage of the total cost of the vacation. Turns out to be a small percentage of the spend.

Just another thought to consider - we live outside of mainland UK and our preferred way of getting to Southampton is to fly there via Manchester. There are flights to Manchester from several US cities and, although it will not be quite as straightforward for American citizens as it is for us, as they will have to pick up their luggage at Manchester and clear immigration, if you are not planning to spend time in London pre-cruise, it might be worth looking at. The Manchester/Southampton flights usually finish at the end of August and they are on smaller planes, so you need to watch the size of your hand luggage, but the flights are inexpensive, with a flight time of around an hour.

Don't know if this works for you as I live in NW England so know little of London Airports. However last year I went on a cruise out of Southampton. As I traveled on my own and met daughter at S'ton I flew down from Manchester. My daughter met me at the airport but it is not that far in a taxi from the airport to the docks. You would have to check if there is an internal flight to S'ton that would fit in with your arrival times, however the cheap airlines are not that bad on prices.

We used Smiths for airports for a transfer from Southampton to Heathrow airport. It cost £73 for two of us. They were amazingly efficient - replied almost immediately to every email. No payment required until you use the service. Would highly recommend them

I must echo what many others have said and suggest that , if possible, you travel to Southampton the day before your departure.

We always use the Premier Inn at West Quay. It's basic but clean and the staff are very friendly and helpful.

Not having to worry about encountering delays en route is priceless IMO.

100% agree. We only live about an hour and a half from Southampton but always travel down the day before and stay in Premier Inn, Southampton is a nice town to walk around and Premier Inn is near the shops and the docks plus there are many historic sights to see. If I were you I would say order a car to pick you up at airport.

When you board our trains any help you may have requested does not always turn up. When you arrive at Southampton there is another risk which is that they have very old elevators and if these break down, which they did for us on one occassion, you are stuck on the platform with big cases and no-one to help you take them up quite a few concrete steps. Thank you Southampton Railway Station for my husbands latest hernia operation!!!!

The buses may be good but you may have to wait at least an hour if you just miss one. Not something you want after a long journey.

Our roads are not good either. If you are unlucky enough to get held up by an accident or incident you could be stuck for hours.

Come down the day before if possible and have a nice comfortable stress free journey in a car. I know it costs a little more, but for us oldies so worth it.

Hello.

Why not use Eavesway coaches, they run a transfer from the airport to the Port and your luggage needs not to be touched by you from arriving at the coach, until it arrives in youre cabin. The service is advertised in the Celebrity U.K. brochure.

I have used them before and they are first class. In fact I am using them for a celebrity eclipse cruise on 17th September.

As someone who lives near Gatwick and does it regularly...

If you are flying into Gatwick there IS a direct train (takes just under 2 hours) from Gatwick Airport station (located in the terminal, with lifts). There are also services which require a change of train, so be careful with that.

You can book the tickets at southernrailway 'dot' com, and pick them up at the machines in the station. Southampton station is relatively easy with lifts between stations, and taxis directly outside for the 5-10 minute journey to the cruise terminal.

Coaches also go from Gatwick to Southampton, and these take around 2.5 hours. You can book at nationalexpress 'dot' com. The cost is roughly the same as the train.

Heathrow is more of a pain with trains as you will have to go into London and then back out again.

The National express coach is the best from here.

Back in September of 2014 we left from Southampton on the Eclipse for a Canary Island/Portugal cruise. I arrived 2 nights early and rented a car. We arrived at Heathrow early, got the car and was at the Holiday Inn Exp near Southampton Airport prior to noon. Was about a 2 hour drive. After we dropped off our bags drove over Winchester to see the cathedral. Ate dinner in a nice pub in Winchester. Next day in the morning, drove to Salisbury and saw the cathedral. Suggest taking the tour. The volunteer ladies that did both cathedral tours were outstanding. Very pleasant and knowledgeable. Then that afternoon, went to the Southampton COSTCO and picked up the room wine :D. They honor US membership cards. Ate dinner at very nice pub in Southampton that was in the Commons. Prior to arriving back at the Holiday Inn Exp, filled the tank at a Sainsbury (it's a grocery chain and has the cheapest gas) near the hotel. Then the next morning, returned the car to the airport. Got the U bus (was a few pounds) at the airport to its last stop which was a block or two from the cruise terminal.