Comparing Princess and Celebrity

Bimmer09

Norris, thanks for the great review on the Silhouette and this side by side comparison of your cruise on Celebrity versus Princess. You motivated me to look at Celebrity for our 2017 cruise. After reviewing the S class cruises I found a great Transatlantic cruise on the Reflection for April '17 and booked it yesterday.

We always book mini-suites on Princess, so we went with the Sky suite(although an S2) and I am excited about all the extra benefits the Sky Suite offer that you don't get on a Mini-Suite on Princess. Like you, we have been committed to Princess the last several years(doing Hawaii on Crown next) so I would have never found this cruise if I hadn't become immersed in both of your threads.

Thanks again,

Doug

Doug-way to pull the trigger! I'm glad to see that you read the Silhouette review and were impressed enough to take the next step.

There will be a Reflection review coming your way next January no doubt! LOL.

Does S2 just mean it's not on the stern?

Thanks for responding and with such excellent news!

Norris

I Really have enjoyed reading the comparisons Norris! I enjoyed your posts on the Silhouette Makes me want to go try X again!

By the way... we have a Drive in Theater near our place.. so it's sort of like MUTS... since it really is under the stars!;)

It's been a great read! Great way for me to end my work day!

Gabrielle

Gabrielle, thanks for reading along and I'm glad the "Silhouette Magic" is coming across in my review.

I've never been to a Drive-In movie as living in the UK the weather can't be relied on so I don't think there ever was one there. Glad to see there are some still around these days.

Thanks for the comments!

Norris

Doug-way to pull the trigger! I'm glad to see that you read the Silhouette review and were impressed enough to take the next step.

There will be a Reflection review coming your way next January no doubt! LOL.

Does S2 just mean it's not on the stern?

Thanks for responding and with such excellent news!

Norris

Norris, yes the S2 that we booked is aft, but not on the stern. The difference in price was just too much, $1,000 more per person to get the bigger balcony and view. However, I am going to watch the prices and if we can get the stern S1 for close to the same price, we will book it.

And, I look forward to your review next January of the Reflection, especially of the dining options for that ship.

Doug

Hi Norris -

Thanks for the great reviews both here on the Princess board and the Celebrity board with photos. The photos were wonderful and captured the WOW of the ship in my opinion. We sailed our first Celebrity cruise last December on the Silhouette and did the same itinerary as you did in January. A TA talked us into trying a Celebrity cruise and we are so glad we did. While Elite on Princess (and we do love the Jewels) it was not easy to make the change. One thing we did find is that we enjoy the main dining rooms, menu and food much more on Princess. The closet space in the veranda cabins on Celebrity is awful, so again Princess gets our vote. The pool area on Celebrity is very nice with all the shady areas and loved the grass! There are pros & cons to any cruise line but it's nice now to have another choice.

We did not try any of the specialty restaurants on Celebrity but plan to change that when we sail on the Silhouette again in December. Thanks to your reviews of the restaurants you tried.

Thanks again for your review, the are always fun and informative!!

Andrea

~~~~~~~~~

Edited by Sanibel*Gal

Hi Norris -

Thanks for the great reviews both here on the Princess board and the Celebrity board with photos. The photos were wonderful and captured the WOW of the ship in my opinion. We sailed our first Celebrity cruise last December on the Silhouette and did the same itinerary as you did in January. A TA talked us into trying a Celebrity cruise and we are so glad we did. While Elite on Princess (and we do love the Jewels) it was not easy to make the change. One thing we did find is that we enjoy the main dining rooms, menu and food much more on Princess. The closet space in the veranda cabins on Celebrity is awful, so again Princess gets our vote. The pool area on Celebrity is very nice with all the shady areas and loved the grass! There are pros & cons to any cruise line but it's nice now to have another choice.

We did not try any of the specialty restaurants on Celebrity but plan to change that when we sail on the Silhouette again in December. Thanks to your reviews of the restaurants you tried.

Thanks again for your review, the are always fun and informative!!

Andrea

~~~~~~~~~

Andrea thanks for coming forward and for the compliments on the reviews!

I am not surprised the Silhouette made an impact on you and like you-regardless of how this comparison looks so far we too are glad we enjoyed X so much and have a 2nd line to choose from. It's all good.

Yes you have to try those Specialty restaurants- discounts are available on board and you just have to check each day (or buy a package). There was a table each day outside the buffet entrance offering discounts for at least one Specialty.

Murano and lawn Club Grill (2 ships only) are on our radar again. We'll try and fit them all in next time!

Thanks for the comments!

Norris

Regarding MUTS in the evening, not only did they pass out popcorn but they came around with pizza and cookies on our Ruby 2013 cruise. Must be hit or miss as they did not do this on my 2014 CB cruise.

Hi and thanks for further adding to the is there or isn't there? passed- out popcorn debate.

There shouldn't be a debate as the procedure should be identical on each ship and that's something I have dinged Princess for in the past: there has to be consistency ship to ship as we move around the fleet.

I just remembered seeing a waiter pushing a cart with bags of popcorn as I walked through one evening. Might have been on the Emerald. Not sure.

Cheers!

Norris

The Grand Class was superseded by the Royal Class in 2013 and the GC promenade decks which run all the away around the ship ( although they have to step up to a higher deck at the bow to get over the mooring rooms where the ship gets "pointy") were not carried over into the new design, to the disappointment of many.

Grand Class cruisers can sit out here as close to the sea as they are going to get. They are undercover and have an uninterrupted view.

20780744322_d5553e4b57_b.jpg

16263865537_0a03a62325_b.jpg

There are teak cabinets which store lifejackets, which is handy in a real emergency as you may not have time (or be allowed) to return to your cabin.

16242974347_c64399a411_b.jpg

You can walk all the way around the stern and watch the wake.

16241223878_f5678986ec_b.jpg

We use the Prom deck at night to get from the stern to the theater without having to pass through crowds of people.

17465843293_576b69634e_b.jpg

Here's a video I took on one of the Ruby's sisters-Crown Princess back in 2012 where I walk the promenade deck (#7) then climb stairs up to Emerald Deck (#8) to stand at the bow. Leonardo di Caprio was up there but wanted money to appear in my shot. Fat chance!

[YOUTUBE]2QKeQmhXykw[/YOUTUBE]

Enjoy that fresh sea air!

Norris, This is one of our favorite things about the Grand class ships. We walked around many, many times on the Ruby, Grand and Diamond during our time there. On the Diamond for the Alaska inside passage, it was the very best place to watch for Whales and we saw many on that voyage. It would certainly be missed by us on an X ship or the newer Princess ships.

Dixon:cool:

It's so funny your in love with elevators as my friends always think I'm a little crazy when it comes to take pictures of the elevators and stair case area.

I think some cruise line make an amazing effort to have these places interesting when waiting while others are just plain boring.

Great pics of them thanks

Sea ya

Eric

Hi and thanks for further adding to the is there or isn't there? passed- out popcorn debate.

There shouldn't be a debate as the procedure should be identical on each ship and that's something I have dinged Princess for in the past: there has to be consistency ship to ship as we move around the fleet.

I just remembered seeing a waiter pushing a cart with bags of popcorn as I walked through one evening. Might have been on the Emerald. Not sure.

Cheers!

Norris

Just to add to this,, On the Ruby in the Med, they came around with milk and warm cookies, as well as passing out blankets.. Was a very nice touch. (also popcorn)

Dixon

It's so funny your in love with elevators as my friends always think I'm a little crazy when it comes to take pictures of the elevators and stair case area.

I think some cruise line make an amazing effort to have these places interesting when waiting while others are just plain boring.

Sea ya

Eric

Eric, good to see you again.

Yes, I photograph a lot of things that some may take for granted on a ship but on this ship there was no expense spared when it came to design and the elevators were part of that- "rethink what is possible" mantra that must have circulated the design studio. The lifts say "modern" and "luxury" which is what they were going for on the S Class.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets excited by elevators and stairs!

How was your Constellation Cruise in January?

Cheers!

Norris

Sea ya

Eric

My favorite elevators on all the ships I have been on are the midship elevators facing the Piazza on Princess CB. The beautiful intricate sea life design was always highlighted with colorful lighting during events. I think I took pictures every time I passed by them. I also think the bubbles inside the elevators as if you are submerging under water is kind of cute.

Mj

Eric, good to see you again.

Yes, I photograph a lot of things that some may take for granted on a ship but on this ship there was no expense spared when it came to design and the elevators were part of that- "rethink what is possible" mantra that must have circulated the design studio. The lifts say "modern" and "luxury" which is what they were going for on the S Class.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets excited by elevators and stairs!

How was your Constellation Cruise in January?

Cheers!

Norris

Hello Norris,

First thanks for answering back to all of us. Once again your comparison of the ships are spot on and both lines are great to cruise on.

This leads me to my short 2 nights Celebrity Cruise on "Connie" I have to say that it was too short to evaluate and thats what I also said in my short review that I did.

Fourteen years is had been since we had been on Celebrity but this little two days on "Connie" has for sure giving us the feel that we want to cruise again on Celebrity in the near future. Some of the new venues are just simply amazing and makes it so easy to make new friends and enjoy a great cruise.

This next Celebrity cruise will have to wait as first we have this amazing Asia cruise just around the corner on the Sapphire Princess.

Again thanks

Sea ya

Eric

Hello Norris,

First thanks for answering back to all of us. Once again your comparison of the ships are spot on and both lines are great to cruise on.

This leads me to my short 2 nights Celebrity Cruise on "Connie" I have to say that it was too short to evaluate and thats what I also said in my short review that I did.

Fourteen years is had been since we had been on Celebrity but this little two days on "Connie" has for sure giving us the feel that we want to cruise again on Celebrity in the near future. Some of the new venues are just simply amazing and makes it so easy to make new friends and enjoy a great cruise.

This next Celebrity cruise will have to wait as first we have this amazing Asia cruise just around the corner on the Sapphire Princess.

Again thanks

Sea ya

Eric

Eric- I remember a thread you wrote on Jan 17 when I was boarding the Silhouette, where you were asking what had changed in 14 years.

Was there a post-cruise review I missed?

My fave Princess ship design was the Diamond and I can imagine you looking forward to the Sapphire, her sister. Far East too-that's some icing on the cake.

I imagine the Connie was a good experience-she's a great looking ship inside and out (but I'm looking at old Beyondship photos)

Cheers,

Norris

Hello Norris!

My Celebrity cruise was several years back on the Millennium, and my memory may be foggy but iirc, you could walk the promenade 3/4 of the way around the ship, and cut across at the aft elevators to get to the other side again.

Now, if you like outdoor movies, hop in your Bimmer and drive to Denver. In the summertime they show movies at Red Rocks amphitheater and it's about the most amazing place possible!

Cheers,

Ed

We have only cruised twice. Once on the Caribbean Princess and once on the Celebrity Century. As much as we loved the Century, it could not hold a candle to the Caribbean Princess..

For us the food was far superior on Princess . From the buffet to the mdr to the specialty restaurants, Princess won hands down. The entertainment was also a win for Princess....a lot more variety.

It's been a long time since we cruised on Princess. We board the Regal on March 6th and we can't wait, we know that it will be a great week

Service....are they ignoring me? Standing around talking among themselves?

Reacting to a paying guest? Hustling to attend to my needs? Are they friendly or perfunctory? Do they act like they want to be here right now? Do they look like they are having fun, enjoying talking to me? Are they proactive? Polite?

Do they listen when I speak and bring me what I ask for?

There's a lot that can go right and wrong and make a difference to your enjoyment on a ship when It comes to service. Interacting with the crew is inevitable as they are there to serve you.

No major complaints on Princess to date although I've seen a few who aren't bringing their A game. At my haunt-Tradewinds smoking section I take my place for my first drink of the cruise and keep my eyes open. I've seen the two or three

deck waiters shooting the breeze while I sit nearby.

Another bar waiter comes walking up and sees me. Walks over and smiles. Greets me, banters (is this your first cruise with us?).

That bar waiter now knows my name and will be my go to for the rest of the week, getting a tip for each drink delivered with just a raised eyebrow. The others, if I am near the end of the drink, I'll wave away when they deign to serve me. No tip for you! I'll get my own waiter to bring me one.

I've had the wrong food brought just a couple of times in 40 MDR visits so that's not earth shattering. I've had the wrong wine bottle brought forth four or five times but that was all on the same ship (Emerald). Mostly I've had great service.

If we find a good ATD wait team we ask the Head Waiter to have them again.

I didn't know what to expect on X at all. I was pleasantly surprised to meet my first bartender and get a warm smile and some friendly banter. He didn't even sigh when I asked for a glass like the Outrigger bartender on my first Ruby cruise. That was good and it continued all week. Happy staff, enjoying serving the guests.

Walking from our room past rooms being made up and I always have to look in-everytime I did a steward 20 feet away fluffing pillows would call out "good morning sir". Good morning! It wasn't my room stewards Andrew or Su....just someone with a great attitude, fluffing his 20 th pillow of the morning.

The impeccable Ritz-Carlton service offered by the suites Concierge in Michael's Club was a new level of service I hadn't experienced yet on Princess. I believe they have a Suites Concierge on the newer Royal Class ships.

Fun friendly waiters came our way all week and I only had a sour moment on the last morning when the smiles stopped and I was ignored by half a dozen buffet staff who thought I had got off at midnight. That was offset later when the deck crew in blue overalls all smiled and wished me good morning-something that doesn't happen on Princess.

Still all in all I was impressed enough to want to sail again with X.

SERVICE?

ADVANTAGE- NEITHER, A DRAW

We have only cruised twice. Once on the Caribbean Princess and once on the Celebrity Century. As much as we loved the Century, it could not hold a candle to the Caribbean Princess..

For us the food was far superior on Princess . From the buffet to the mdr to the specialty restaurants, Princess won hands down. The entertainment was also a win for Princess....a lot more variety.

It's been a long time since we cruised on Princess. We board the Regal on March 6th and we can't wait, we know that it will be a great week

Not really a fair comparison. Century is so old she's no longer in the fleet.

Bon voyage Sunday!!

I hope after the Regal you book another cruise. Buy some FCCs on board!!

Cheers,

Norris

It fits into the varied entertainment schedule and is always a well-attended event, usually on the last night at sea. We've only been on one ship where it wasn't shown and that was the Caribbean Princess in 2014. When I asked one of the Cruise Staff why no show he told me there were not enough volunteers among the crew...I'm talking about the International Crew Show where crew members from the room stewards, bar tenders, kitchen staff etc entertain us.

I've seen classical piano played, a drum solo (where does he practice?)but mainly it's singers backed by the ship's 7 piece show band. It has to be a kick to the singers to hear themselves with such a good backing band, singing through a loud and clear P.A system, with spotlights on them and the sound of 700 people applauding.

Many of the singers hail from the Philippines, a country where the ship employment agencies found a rich goldmine of people suited to service on a cruise ship. Hard working folks with a good spirit and big smiles and seemingly an in-built love of singing.

Get there early and join in the balloon-batting fun before the show and after the entertainers have given you their best sit back and enjoy some slapstick comedy as the Cruise Staff sing that hoary old chestnut "If I was not upon the sea..."

Sophisticated it ain't but you'll laugh anyway.

Here's a clip of a woman who grills the steaks in Sabatini's for a living...

[YOUTUBE]ls0WlPHbsg4[/YOUTUBE]

Enjoy!

People on Princess who like to sing can sign up for the Pop Choir at the beginning of the week and attend rehearsals almost daily for a performance on the last day at sea in the Piazza. They sing some well-known pop songs over a backing tape where the vocals haven't been added.

This is fun for those involved-an event far removed from their everyday life which is what cruising should be all about-and for those who come to hear them sing.

The singers get to know each other and again, meeting new "Friends" is what cruising allows you to do.

Here's a video clip from the Crown Princess where Carol was a part of her first Pop Choir. I recorded it from the 3rd (top) deck of the Piazza. You don't have to watch the whole thing unless you are grooving along. It's here to give you the gist of the event. They sing half a dozen songs in the full show.

[YOUTUBE]CpXBGdcW95U[/YOUTUBE]

Norris

Always love the " If I were not upon the Sea". So funny. Have heard this is not happening so often lately.

Here, for anyone not familiar, it is...

[YOUTUBE]qnzB262k5Bc[/YOUTUBE]

Norris

My favorite elevators on all the ships I have been on are the midship elevators facing the Piazza on Princess CB. The beautiful intricate sea life design was always highlighted with colorful lighting during events. I think I took pictures every time I passed by them. I also think the bubbles inside the elevators as if you are submerging under water is kind of cute.

Mj

Yes i like the little bubbles as well and was sad when I was looking for them and couldn't find them on the Royal and the Regal :-(

I think the Carnival Spirit class ship have lovely elevators as well.

sea ya

Eric

SERVICE?

ADVANTAGE- NEITHER, A DRAW

Totally agree, staff and service on both lines is just great!

Anecdotal experience on our last Princess cruise, we shared a table in one of the lounges with a couple we never met before and they were Elite on Princess. After an hour of amicable banter and a cocktail it was time to go. The other woman stood said the service had been terrible, her drink was terrible (although she had finished it to the bottom), and she was going to write up the server. HUH!? We thought the service was great, the server had come around several times to see how we were doing and brought us more munchies, and the cocktails more than acceptable. I just don't get it, how two people with exactly the same experience come away with totally different impressions. It is a mystery to me.