General questions about P&O

Sephiroth

Hello please forgive these questions as I am still a little new to the cruise holidays and never been with p&o. This will also be my girlfriends first cruise so I want it to be a good one.

I am currently looking at a cruise on the oceana and it has the saver fare and select fare. On the cruise I went on before I could go to eat at anytime to the buffet. While there was never anyone checking on when you could eat I knew people had select times. Is that for all restaurants or ones you order? The princess was just help yourself and grab a seat. I would much rather eat when we wanted rather than select times. And is there a buffet there or just a menu and waiter? I tried looking at photos but it was not clear

Hello please forgive these questions as I am still a little new to the cruise holidays and never been with p&o. This will also be my girlfriends first cruise so I want it to be a good one.

I am currently looking at a cruise on the oceana and it has the saver fare and select fare. On the cruise I went on before I could go to eat at anytime to the buffet. While there was never anyone checking on when you could eat I knew people had select times. Is that for all restaurants or ones you order? The princess was just help yourself and grab a seat. I would much rather eat when we wanted rather than select times. And is there a buffet there or just a menu and waiter? I tried looking at photos but it was not clear

You have three types of fare. SELECT where you can choose your cabin and how it's set up twin or queen. you can choose if you want early sitting 6:30. late sitting 8:30 or freedom dining when you go when you please. These all refer to eating in the main dining room. You can always use the buffet restaurant at any time if you don't want to use the main dining room. With select you also get onboard credit.

Early Saver P&O you choose your grade of cabin but P&O choose which cabin. You can choose how it's set up twin or single and you can request which dining you would like. There is no onboard credit.

Late saver. You choose the grade of cabin P&O choose the cabin how it's set up and what dining you will get. No onboard credit.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

On Oceana, there are two main restaurants. One is Freedom dining, where you can turn up at anytime, normally between 6pm and 9:30pm. The other is Club Dining, which has two sittings, usually 6:30 and 8:30pm. Both have identical menus and both waiter served. You will be allocated one or the other. With a select fare you will probably get your preference. With a saver fare you will get whatever is allocated to you.

In addition to the main restaurants, there is also the option of the self service buffet.

The dining allocation is only for the evening meal. For breakfast and lunch you have the option of the main waiter served main restaurant or the self service buffet. You just turn up when ever you want within the opening times.

Brian

Thanks so much! Just trying to work out if it is worth paying the extra. So am I correct that anyone can go to the buffet at anytime? On the other cruises I just mainly went there so having a time was a little odd. Also is there much entertainment? And how much is the daily tip roughly?

Thanks so much! Just trying to work out if it is worth paying the extra. So am I correct that anyone can go to the buffet at anytime? On the other cruises I just mainly went there so having a time was a little odd. Also is there much entertainment? And how much is the daily tip roughly?

Buffet is open all the time near enough. Mind you it would be nice if you paid a select fare, chose the cabin and type you want, and freedom dining in the mdr.

Sometimes (not always) if pando chose the cabin you end up with what is left ,which can be above show lounges/beneath the top deck/some other noisy white space (this is crew parts,sometimes quite sometimes not)

Look at the deck plans ,then look at the type of cabin you can afford, then look at cabins with cabins below and above (the quietest) then book a select fare.

I personally feel it is worth it. If you are quick you may get OBS (money to spend in the shops and bars etc)

Entirely up to you, ring Pando up see what cabins are still available in the grade you want and go from there.

Freedom you go into anytime between 6.00? and 9.30pm and you either share a table or ask for a table for 2 (at busy times you maybe given a pager and they will bleep you when a table is free)

The daily tip is among the lowest on any cruise line .it is £5 pppd. This is taken of you on board account automatically, unless you go down to reception to change or remove it. (please don't remove, the guys really do work hard at making your holiday special)

Entertainment, well its what rocks your boat, there are tons of quizzes during the day, talks, bands or entertainers in the evening in various venues.

Hi just to clarify freedom dining and club dining are in the main restaurants, club is fixed time freedom is not. Speciality you book a table but there is extra charge. Buffet turn up when you want, you can do this irrespective of whether you are registered for club or freedom. We often can't be bothered with the main dining room and find the buffet a relaxing alternative where you nearly always get a window seat. [emoji106]🏼

You have three types of fare. SELECT where you can choose your cabin and how it's set up twin or queen. you can choose if you want early sitting 6:30. late sitting 8:30 or freedom dining when you go when you please. These all refer to eating in the main dining room. You can always use the buffet restaurant at any time if you don't want to use the main dining room. With select you also get onboard credit.

Early Saver P&O you choose your grade of cabin but P&O choose which cabin. You can choose how it's set up twin or single and you can request which dining you would like. There is no onboard credit.

Late saver. You choose the grade of cabin P&O choose the cabin how it's set up and what dining you will get. No onboard credit.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

You do not choose the grade of cabin on a Saver fare just inside, oceanview or balcony P&O actually pick the actual grade of cabin.

I think you are confusing yourself a little too much, with all the different fare types and names of things.

I highly recommend you spend some time reading the help and advice section on P&O's site. It really does cover everything in a reader friendly way, not like reading pages of terms and conditions. You would then be clearer about your choices and what you wanted to book.

Other posters have covered the pros and cons of different fare types, but only you know what you would rather spend your money on.

P&O is very much like Princess, it works exactly the same way. Nobody ever has set times for buffet dining. Both cruise lines offer the choice of traditional type dining with a set time at the same time each evening, or an anytime option, like dining at a restaurant at home, you turn up when you like and may have to wait for a table. These restaurants and the buffet are included which ever fare type you select.

As I said I think P&O has one of the best websites when it comes to help and advice, well worth having a look.:)

I think your confusing a Select Fare with "select dining".

Select Fare is P&Os "full price" fare where you get to pick your cabin number and choice of early 06:30 late 08:30 fixed sitting or open sitting for evening in the Main Dining Room(s). You also get some on board credit and if any port shuttle buses have a charge, this is waived. With Early Saver and Saver fares, you chose a type of cabin only and P&O allocate your cabin number and dining sitting, however these fares can be heavily discounted.

Select dining is just the term for the speciality restaurants you can book for a charge if you want.

No matter which type of fare you book, every passenger is allocated a sitting for MDR. This is for evening ONLY - for breakfast and lunch the MDRs are all freedom/ open sitting and you just go whenever you want.

There are no reservations or sitting times in the buffet, you just go in any time as long as its open. You dont need to specify this as your dining choice, its open to all as an alternative to the MDR. You can have all your meals in the buffet or alternate with the MDR as you please.

However I second the other commenters in saying the buffet on P&O is not the best - its perfectly fine but it is a real 'buffet'. If you expect the show cooking and special chef stands other lines seem to provide, you may be disappointed.

I think your confusing a Select Fare with "select dining".

Select Fare is P&Os "full price" fare where you get to pick your cabin number and choice of early 06:30 late 08:30 fixed sitting or open sitting for evening in the Main Dining Room(s). You also get some on board credit and if any port shuttle buses have a charge, this is waived. With Early Saver and Saver fares, you chose a type of cabin only and P&O allocate your cabin number and dining sitting, however these fares can be heavily discounted.

Select dining is just the term for the speciality restaurants you can book for a charge if you want.

No matter which type of fare you book, every passenger is allocated a sitting for MDR. This is for evening ONLY - for breakfast and lunch the MDRs are all freedom/ open sitting and you just go whenever you want.

There are no reservations or sitting times in the buffet, you just go in any time as long as its open. You dont need to specify this as your dining choice, its open to all as an alternative to the MDR. You can have all your meals in the buffet or alternate with the MDR as you please.

However I second the other commenters in saying the buffet on P&O is not the best - its perfectly fine but it is a real 'buffet'. If you expect the show cooking and special chef stands other lines seem to provide, you may be disappointed.

Every passenger isn't issued a time for MDR ? If you have freedom dining you don't have a time

Every passenger isn't issued a time for MDR ? If you have freedom dining you don't have a time

I didnt say Freedom diners are given a time but a SITTING. Even on Freedom you are allocated an MDR, where you can go anytime during the hours it is open for dinner. Every passenger is given an MDR sitting but this doesn't mean they HAVE to use it - they can have some or all of their meals in the buffet as they please

The point I was making is that you do not have to request buffet dining to be able to use it, as the OP seems to think they do - I wouldnt want them to think they couldnt go to the buffet when they see an MDR allocation on their booking.

If you are happy to eat in the Buffet; which is more of a self-service cafe arrangement, every night then the cheapest fare option is for you. You will be allocated one dining option by the cruise line; their choice, from the following; Club Dining 1st Sitting (same table every night at 6.30pm), Club Dining 2nd Sitting Same table every night at 8.30pm) or Freedom Dining (Waiter service in a Main Dining Room at a time of your choice between 6pm and 9pm). From what you have said Freedom is best for you as you would get to eat at a time of your choosing between 6pm and 9pm every evening. If you pay the higher fare you are more likely to get your choice of dining granted, however even if you were allocated Club Dining 1st Sitting 6.30pm every night, you can still go down the Buffet every night instead if you wished. The extra fare is usually quite a substantial sum and if I were you, assuming you and your girlfriend, are content with buffets, I would spend my money saved on the cheaper fare basis, on a better cabin, like a balcony or better or longer cruise and hope I got Freedom anyway, which might happen. There is a reasonable chance in my opinion. The risk is Buffet every night!

Regards John

Edited by john watson