Gratuities

WhoDatNation

I think it's very sad, that some posters squabble over 12 dollars a day and who it goes to. What difference does it make?

I'm happy to pay those gratuities and then some. Just for the fact of being served, someone else cleaning it up, someone tidying up, making my bed, etc.

Exactly. 12.00 a day, for what has always been excellent service on all my Carnival cruises. It does not seem too much to me. Pay the 12.00 daily, and everyone is happy. If you feel that your room steward, or dining room wait staff went above and beyond, you can always hand them a few extra bucks last day. I will just never get why people dont want to pay that, or have control over who gets what, and how much. But...to each their own. I always pay the recommended amount, and never have to feel like I cheated someone out of their pay. Also, more often than not leave extra for the workers I have had excellent service from.

Because that's the way cruiselines choose to run their business. Period.

If you want to reduce the Daily Service Charge, you are able to do so.

It is unnecessary for either side of the argument to sway the other to change their opinion. But it is entertaining to watch the same arguments over and over.

JMHO

Agreed.

We never remove tips entirely we have moved rips around one time when our cabin Stewart did a very poor job. But always tip at least the total minimum amount. And just a tip if slip the bartenders and wait staff a few bucks your hand will never be without an adult beverage!!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Not sure if this is still this case, but at one time if you removed auto tips and tipped in cash instead, the crew were required to pool those tips anyway. Not sure how often crew actually followed through and did this, but I believe there were repercussions if they got caught keeping cash tips from people who removed auto tips.

Only if you had left auto tips on your S&S and were tipping extra in cash were the crew allowed to keep those cash tips. So if you thought you were only tipping those who served you directly by removing auto tips and tipping in cash, your tips still got pooled.

Not sure if this is still this case, but at one time if you removed auto tips and tipped in cash instead, the crew were required to pool those tips anyway. Not sure how often crew actually followed through and did this, but I believe there were repercussions if they got caught keeping cash tips from people who removed auto tips.

Only if you had left auto tips on your S&S and were tipping extra in cash were the crew allowed to keep those cash tips. So if you thought you were only tipping those who served you directly by removing auto tips and tipping in cash, your tips still got pooled.

Total lie, but I had one woman claim if someone was suspected of holding out on tip money the mafia boarded the ship and beat them up.

Funny how rumours get started.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I've seen this policy in black and white on the crew employee pages for HAL which is a Carnival Corp company. I have been told it's the case on Carnival by 3 different employees.

(And Loxley ... I'm not going to get in an argument with you about my statements. There was a HAL thread awhile back with links to that document but I don't intend to spent time searching way back to prove it to you. ) :)

I've seen this policy in black and white on the crew employee pages for HAL which is a Carnival Corp company. I have been told it's the case on Carnival by 3 different employees.

(And Loxley ... I'm not going to get in an argument with you about my statements. There was a HAL thread awhile back with links to that document but I don't intend to spent time searching way back to prove it to you. ) :)

You do know you are on the carnival board not Hal right?

If we leave on our auto gratuity and give a little extra to those who went above and beyond, do those individuals get to keep it, or is it pooled?

We've got two little kids, and while we clean up after them as best we can, I'm more than happy to give a good cabin steward or waitstaff extra the extra clean-up/attention they may give. I'm just curious if they get to keep it or not.

Assumption based on me working in the hospitality industry. I can not see everyone on the ship working for tips especially the staff you can't even interact with. Ships should run just like a hotel. JMHO

But they don't though it seems you will never believe this.

Total lie, but I had one woman claim if someone was suspected of holding out on tip money the mafia boarded the ship and beat them up.

Funny how rumours get started.

And you can prove this is a lie? :rolleyes: (somehow I don't think so).

I've been on 7 cruises all with Carnival but never knew the answer to this. Is gratuities mandatory or can you put cash in envelopes and give it to who you want? I always add the gratuities when I book a cruise. I heard some people really don't tip the staff. I thought it would be on your sail and sign card regardless and you can't remove them and you must pay grats.

A long time ago it was envelopes. I think it was still this way for our first cruise in 2005. We look at the tips added to our S&S at the beginning of the cruise as being for ALL staff. Then, we usually tip our cabin stewards or any dining staff that truly exhibit outstanding service extra. So far, we've not been let down and are more then happy to give them a few extra dollars.

As other have already said, we will not remove tips added to our S&S card, EVEN if one of the many staff acts unbecoming of Carnival. Those tips are for everyone and we're not going to deny the rest of the staff some much needed extra cash.