Norwegian Gem: Tips and tricks and tidbits!

gabbo18

Hi All,

This will be our 3rd cruise.

We've done the Breakaway twice (once to Bahamas and once to Bermuda).

Going on the Gem to the Bahamas again on April 30.

Just looking for any tips, tidbits of information, and must-see/do while on there.

Thanks in advance!

The sun deck is excellent. Spinnakers is excellent day or night. Magnums has great entertainers. The mdrs are excellent as well and I highly suggest you go to magenta and when you do ask for a booth table over to the far far right and around the corner. The best location IMHO Oh and if you eat in any restaurant be it specialty or free and you don't like your initial table just say you want a better table/location etc and they will promptly do it for you. The last thing they want is you standing at the podium breathing down their neck while waiting for a better table. If they say they don't have a table just wait and one will arise instantly. Of course this method will not work for a large group and that should go without say

We've just returned from our third cruise on the Gem. Really great crew and staff. Some tips:

-- the Great Outdoors is our favorite place to eat breakfast and lunch, and really just to hang out. It's so beautiful out there, especially if you don't want to sit in the sun (though you can do that too) [look for Kerwin at the bar there, he's terrific]

-- don't miss the bridge viewing room, Deck 11, all the way forward on the port side

-- the sun deck on Deck 14, all the way forward, is a great place (generally quiet) for lounging with a forward-facing view

--- we enjoy sitting in lounge chairs on Deck 13 on either side aft of the open pool areas, in the shade (or sun if you want), generally quiet

-- unless you are in a suite, head for the Grand Pacific (the big MDR) for lunch on boarding; it's a beautiful space and it will be far more peaceful than the buffet during embarkation

-- we ate at all of the specialty venues on this last cruise (except La Cucina, which we consider skippable), and our dinner at Teppanyaki was the best, not just because of the "fun" of it, but because it had the best food; Le Bistro imho is the best of the "fine" dining (don't miss the chocolate napoleon for dessert). Moderno was the biggest disappointment -- the meats were dry and tough. But the salad bar there was excellent, as was the papaya ice cream dessert. We had the UDP, so we went back there a second time and skipped the meats. (One of the managers seemed horrified. :) ). Cagney's was just okay. My steak was dry and tough (just like the meats at Moderno, cooked in the same kitchen. Hmmm....) Frankly, we ate a few dinners in the buffet and were quite happy we'd done so; the food there is pretty darn good, especially for a buffet.

-- Orchid Garden is pretty awful imho, no reason to waste time there

--the Spinnaker Lounger is another great place for sitting and reading (when it's not being used for game shows, etc.); terrific views as well

Have a great cruise!

Edited by Turtles06

If you have a little extra to spend, do the behind the scenes tour. It is just amazing to see what goes on in the kitchen, laundry, etc to make your vacation fantastic. We did it on the Gem in 2012. Made us appreciate the staff even more. The tour even takes you to the bridge where you get to talk with captain and see how they actually operate the ship. You can book this at guest services, but make sure you go on day 1 or 2 to book it because space is limited.

If you have a little extra to spend, do the behind the scenes tour. The tour even takes you to the bridge where you get to talk with captain and see how they actually operate the ship.

The behind the scenes tour no longer goes to the bridge. On the Jewel class ships, the tour goes to the bridge viewing room and an officer comes out to talk to the tour.

Edited by herdingdogmom

Sweet, thanks for the information thus far!

Can't wait for the cruise!

We got the UDP, so definitely going to hit up Cagney's. Any other worthwhile specialty places?

We found La Cucina better than the reviews said. We also loved Moderno and felt all the meats were delicious. We were on the Gem in January.

The Gem is easy to get around in.

On sea days, they do a great barbecue by the pool. We had paella, grilled veggies and barbecue chicken one of the days. We got there early and enjoyed watching them cooking.

The booths are gone post drydock. They are all tables and chairs now.

Nope. I sat in one on my Jan 2 cruise. There are about 4 of them I recall

Very cozy and private and they are all the way to the right and around the corner

It looks like they took over some other space and just enlarged magenta

Trust me they are there and in use and very nice and have a huge window too

Edited by luvtheships

Nope. I sat in one on my Jan 2 cruise. There are about 4 of them I recall

Very cozy and private and they are all the way to the right and around the corner

It looks like they took over some other space and just enlarged magenta

Trust me they are there and in use and very nice and have a huge window too

Hmm.. so are they buried all the way around the corner? I wish we knew.. we loved the booths last year and were sad to see all of them gone when we were on the ship a few weeks ago. Boo. Now we need to go back to find the hidden ones!

Okay here's my serious tip..

At the crepe station at the buffet ask for a one with brown sugar and butter.

Nothing else, just brown sugar and butter. It's pretty much the secret menu when it comes to the crepes. There will be all sorts of goop and glop that people will be loading up on their crepes but you dont need any of that. He'll reach behind the station and grab two little things of butter and then reach somewhere else and get a few packets of brown sugar. You'll then have on your plate the most fresh and delicious tasting crepe on the ship. It wont be over powered by all the jellies and jams and creams that everyone else is getting, instead you'll have this deliciously sweet dessert that you'll keep going back for.

The only reason I know it exists is because two cruises ago I happened to be standing there when a crew member ordered one. Since that night I have asked for nothing else.

Cool! So this can only be booked with guest services? Not online? Can you take pics?

Only available at guest services, not able to book online. You can take pictures but only in certain areas like the theater. This is due to security reasons. Another poster reports that the bridge not included anymore. Don't know if this is true or not. Last April, I booked the tour for my dad who accompanied us on his first cruise ever and was also on the Gem. At that time, the tour still included the bridge. I would just ask guest services. But even if it isn't included, the other areas are worth the cost.

Ok, good to know with the prices regarding the behind the scenes tour, we'll definitely look into that

I just talked to them today and the moved us from 10662 to 9174. Is that a good deal?

Would cost us nothing anyways.

We are sailing on the Gem March 2nd this year and see that the time given for docking on debarkation day is 10 am.

I have never taken a cruise that the ship returned and docked that late.

Is the 10 am listed a mistake ? We usually do the debarkation where you walk off taking all your luggage. Wondering about arranging transport to airport and what time we should be looking at.

we just booked our third sailing for the gem, it is our favorite ship, we personally not huge fans of the mega ships they are pretty and all and very high tech but we like the personality and charm of the gem. The musicians are by far the best, and I love that I can go to just about anyplace and listen to good music. If you see Leo, tell him derue and mary said hi. he is amazing and tries to get to know his audience and will address you by name between songs. Since you haven't been on a smaller ship the last sea day around 3 there will be a crew talent show in stardust, go to it, I can watch fountains a hundred times and I still laugh like crazy. enjoy your vacation

We are sailing on the Gem March 2nd this year and see that the time given for docking on debarkation day is 10 am.

I have never taken a cruise that the ship returned and docked that late.

Is the 10 am listed a mistake ? We usually do the debarkation where you walk off taking all your luggage. Wondering about arranging transport to airport and what time we should be looking at.

We were on the Feb 1 cruise. The Capt really has to sail at full speed to get back from Tortola on time; there's little margin for weather. We were due in at 8am but didn't arrive till 9am because of high winds the day before. The walk offs got off okay, but a gov inspection of all luggage on the dock kept everyone on board till 11am at the earliest. Awful disembark. Hope yours is better!

We were on the Feb 1 cruise. The Capt really has to sail at full speed to get back from Tortola on time; there's little margin for weather. We were due in at 8am but didn't arrive till 9am because of high winds the day before. The walk offs got off okay, but a gov inspection of all luggage on the dock kept everyone on board till 11am at the earliest. Awful disembark. Hope yours is better!

Wow , I hope we get through quicker than that.

The cruise on March 2nd is one that the last port is St. Thomas but the distance back to New York would be about the same.

The only thing I think we have going for us is that we dock back on a Saturday and are the only ship at the Manhattan cruise piers that day.

Our flight out of Newark is 1pm.

I think I should see if a later flight is available.

Thank you for the information.

Scott

I don't know why they started posting 10am return time for Gem and Breakaway. Unless you have bad weather like the past few cruises had, you will be tied up at the dock by 7am or so.

We arrange our pickup usually for 8:30am and then we listen to the captain's announcement around noon the day before we return because he gives estimates of what time the pilot gets on and when we'll be back at the dock. Been on Gem many times--including coming back from Tortola--and we have never been back as late as 10, or 9, or even 8! 10am return is a rare occurrence.

Edited by mizlorinj